Which TT would you choose? An Avid Diva II, Pro-Ject RPM 9.2 or a Michell Gyro SE?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Which one of these turntables would you choose if these were your choices, and why?

Also made it a poll.

2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I can't say I have heard the other two, but of the three you listed, I think the Michell is the more substantial looking piece - and I own one. It's a proven design and is able to be upgraded.

Are the other two in the same ballpark $ wise?

BTW, you can usually find great deals on used Michell tables - not sure about the others though.

3. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

We add the Clearaudio Performance SEP? These are all in the same range that I am investigating.

4. btf1980

Yes, all 3 are around the same ballpark in terms of cost.

The Pro-Ject 9.2 with is $2,500. It comes with a 9CC Pro-Ject Carbon tonearm.

The Avid Diva II w/ a Rega RB301 is $2,500. Of course, I'm not limited to just that tonearm.

I prefer to purchase new when it comes to turntables, so used prices aren't a factor.

5. btf1980

I tried to edit the poll to include this for you, but looks like I can't edit it. Sorry.

6. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Avid Diva II (without arm) and find a good deal on an SME tonearm.

Very upgradeable to SP specs as money allows.

7. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Although I own a Music Hall MMF 9.1, I've always lusted after the Michell Gyro SE , something about it has always intregued me.

8. psulioninks

Don't be stealing mine, we're almost neighbors! :wave:

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Diva II here but I'm biased, owning four AVID tables. Consider the new Funk Firm FX•R arm. It's fantastic! (and I've got four SME's, a TriPlanar and a Rega RB1000)

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Have you reviewed the Funk Firm arm? I don't recall seeing a review in your mag, though may have missed it, and I'd like to know how it compares to an SME V and Rega RB1000.

Getting back on topic I voted Michell, though owning both an Orbe and a Gyro SE I may also be biased, the Gyro is a great deck to start with and can be upgraded in easy affordable steps, but as with all things Hi Fi you really need to spend some time with the candidates and make your own mind up.

11. btf1980

Doing research on the Funk Firm arm, thanks.

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Astonished to read those US prices - over here yoou can get great deals on the Pro-Ject with an Ortofon Rhondo Red MC cart, silver phono cable , Speed Box for around 1500 Euro with the big tone arm, the lower for under 1 grand, the AVID costs twice as much and I am with Tonepub on this poll.
    All decent tables, but AVID seems to be the overall best table - but I am not that familiar with the models.
    You should add a few links, so we can see exactly which tables we are voting on - till then I stay away from voting.

13. btf1980

Agreed. I've spent a lot of time with all three, especially the Gyro SE and Pro-Ject 9.2 lately. I really like the new carbon tonearm on the Pro-Ject, but the Gyro has more tonearm options, as does the Avid Diva II. My dealer said the MDF platter on the Diva II knocks it down a few pegs from the Gyro SE and Pro-Ject, and that the Diva II SP is a much better buy. I don't doubt that, but it's also much more expensive than the standard Diva II which is still a brilliant sounding deck to my ears. Would prefer to keep the table and tonearm to be no more than $3,000 new, before adding a cart which will be another $1,000 or so. My budget is $4,000.

14. btf1980

Links

Pro-Ject 9.2 - http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/rm9_2.htm

Avid Diva II - http://www.avidhifi.co.uk/turntable_diva.htm

Michell Gyro SE - http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/gyrose/

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What are the prices in the States?

In the UK the Diva is £100 more expensive than the Gyro SE and the Project is nearly £200 more than the Diva, having said that you obviously get the arm with the Project and I'd say upgrading the Gyro with the HR power supply is well worthwhile. Even with the cost of the HR and a decent arm like a Technoarm I'd say the Michell's performance is much better than the Project and well worth the extra cost. I'm not familiar enough with the Avid to comment, but imagine it's a similarly capable deck to the Michell, though not as nice looking. :D

16. macster

macster Forum Resident

Based on this "Musical Favorites and Preferences
    Jazz, Afrobeat, Highlife, Blues, Soul, Funk, R&B, New Jack Swing, Hiphop, Rock"

1. VPI Classic 2 ---- sounds wonderful with your music tastes and with your system components. (Yeah I know it wasn't an option)

2. I'd go with the Avid Diva II with 90% of the purchase price toward getting the the table outfitted as close as possible to what I want.

M~

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

None of the above

18. btf1980

I had a VPI Scout many years ago. VPI is a fine brand, but I just don't like the unipivot tonearms.

19. I think one thing to keep in mind (and I'm sure you have) is easy of service after the sale. In a close race between TT choices, I would probably choose the one from the dealer that I had the most faith in.

Food for thought!

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

NP

Then I'd go with the Avid Diva for now and would be saving up for an upgrade to a Sequel. Anyway good luck. Also doesn't Project have a table at/~ around $4K? I know that it is completely out of scope, but I like Project tables.

M~

21. btf1980

Oh yes. It's why I prefer to buy new turntables. :cool:

22. macster

macster Forum Resident

I agree, especially the ease of service after sale.

M~

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

Avid has extended 5 year warranty. The manual is here

Project has a wonderful and informative site. I couldn't find the warranty information, but the 9.2 manual is here. More info and some interesting new highend tables. This looks interesting. You have a lot choices from which to choose, good luck.

M~

24. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I have the Michell Gyro SE MkII and it's a fantastic table. I have an SME V on it with a Koetsu Urushi Vermilion cartridge. IMHO, the MDF platter on the Diva cannot compare to the much better platter on the Michell. The Michell platter is a composite of vinyl, acrylic and carbon black that is designed to emulate the material properties of a record, to match resonances as closely as possible. The solid brass weights add mass which improves speed stability. Even though it is a composite, it has an almost metal feel to it, but it does not ring. Also, the Michell comes with DC motor that has no cogging, and is very upgradeable. Also accomodates wide variety of arms.

Here it is when I first got it and had my Grado Reference Sonata on it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounting up the Koetsu Urushi Vermilion with the UNI...

[​IMG]

You can also add the Michell "Never Connected" mains power supply to take the table "off the grid" and improve performance even more. In addition, the Orbe platter can be added as well as an upgraded bearing with support for the Orbe screw-on record clamp.

Lots of factory upgrades for this puppy.

alanb likes this.
  25. psulioninks

That's an easy fix, order one without the arm and get a Trans-Fi Terminator! :righton:

I'm actually going to get this arm to replace my Origin Live Encounter - just saving up the funds as I don't want to be without an arm for my vinyl~!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.