Sundazed & Quality Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wvbkelley, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvbkelley

wvbkelley Forum Resident Thread Starter

Folks: Here's some great NEWS!!!
    I just discovered and listening to NEW Sundazed LPs that were mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at the new Quality Record planet in Kansas.

ALL on 180g vinyl and the price is the same as the first pressing.

Three Simon and Garfunkel LPs (Bridge Over Troubled Water, Bookends and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme).

Two Bob Dyan LPs (Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde)

The LPs are more dynamic (BIG TIME), and mastered to keep the grooves away from the center.

Not sure how many more Sundazed LPs are being REMASTERED by Gray and Stamped at QUALITY.

wwright likes this.
  2. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

WOW.

I had recently seen that Sundazed was about to redo some of their Simon & Garfunkel vinyl. But done by Kevin Gray? And at Quality Record plant? Sounds tremendous, I'm in for a few titles (and were it not for finally breaking down and springing for the Dylan Mono box, would've tried those out, too). Thanks for sharing the good news.

3. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Are we talking about the Dylan MONO releases being reissued? If so I will definitly reperchase both!

4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Does the exterior packaging have any identifying marks, or do you have to rely on looking at the deadwax info?

5. wvbkelley

HOW to ID the NEW SUNDAZED REPRESSING

Yes, the Dylan LPs are the MONO versions.

Sundazed/Quality/Gray remasters have also released "Bringing It All Back Home" and "Dylan: Greatest Hits"I didn't buy that one in the first batch from Acoustic Sounds the home for Quality Records.

HOW TO ID the NEW PRESSINGS ?
    In the deadwax you'll find Kevin Gray's mark, and each of the LPs have a small sticker on the back with the title, barcode and the following ASUNQ (and the LPs original Columbia number)

6. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Where did this information come from?

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Dylan again?! ;)

8. wvbkelley

Asking and Finding

I noticed the new releases at Acoustic Sounds website and they confirmed Quality Records - which they own and located at their site - had stamped a number of Sundazed LPs.

I bought five LPs not knowing that Kevin Gray had done the remastering and found his mark on all of the LPs deadwax.

The original Sundazed LPs have a difference mark in the deadwax with WG/NRP

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...Are the S&G albums being mastered from the new mixdown masters created a few years ago (so not so exciting), or from the tired and lousy sounding original mixdown masters (so not so exciting)?

10. wvbkelley

I don't know, that's a question for Kevin Gray, but they SOUND tremendous compared to the 1st pressing of the S&G LPs.

11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Cut at Nashville Record Productions, pressed at United Record Pressing. Bob Irwin mentioned a few months back that URP was charging an "energy surcharge" on pressing orders, and he was looking for a new pressing plant.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Can these new pressings be identified by the packaging ?

13. wvbkelley

i MENTIONED THAT INFO EARLIER.

New sticker on the back.

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

The 'surcharge' would be the least of my concerns .. URP does not produce top quality pressings in my experience. The fact that Bob Irwin is now dealing with QRP means that I will buy Sundazed vinyl again after abandoning it many years ago around the time when they could not use the old MCA Gloverville, NY plant anymore for its vinyl output. This [the change to QRP] is good news!

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Do I understand this correctly - is Sundaze re-pressing some of the Dylan mono titles it re-issued two or three years ago?

16. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

+1

Very good news if this is set to continue.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I hope Kevin will be mastering the upcoming Ventures titles on Sundazed.

18. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

is is possible to add a picture of the new sticker so we can identify this too?

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Is this now the Kevin Gray forum? Just kidding....

Good news!

Evan

20. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

URP is inconsistent. Some URP pressings have been good, others not. The CTI reissues from Sony were pressed at URP, and all arrived flat and quiet. Other URP pressings I've purchased (Sundazed among them) are very noisy. I welcome the change to Quality Record Pressings---if the new Sundazed issues are as nice as the Tea For The Tillerman QRP pressing I received for Christmas, I'll be a happy customer.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Is Bob Irwin still the mastering engineer of these titles? I have some with WG/NRP in the deadwax and assume he, Wes Garland, mastered the vinyl. Isn't the signature in the deadwax who mastered the vinyl? I know this usually indicates who cut the lacquers but essentially this the same a vinyl mastering right?

22. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Another relevant point in these economic times, are Sundazed prices now going to increase?

JG

23. wvbkelley

Same Price

The first batch of Sundazed reissues from Quality/KG are the same price around $19 for the single LPs and $30 for the double LP "Blonde on Blonde."

24. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Good to hear, and I hope it stays that way!

JG

25. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Was not very happy with the noisy pressings I bought in May 2010.
    Now I would like to buy SIMON & GARFUNKEL PARSLEY SAGE ROSEMARY...
    I can't see the sticker on the back from this side of the planet !
    If I order direct from Sundazed or Sundazed on Ebay I'd like to be able to ask about the sticker so if someone can post a pic it might help. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.