Led Zeppelin: Original CDs vs Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big A2, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I think he is asking if there is another digital version with an earlier mastering than the box set. I don't believe there is. The only other digital release of this was a CD single with "Immigrant Song" and "Hey, Hey..." which was released around the same time as the box set. I don't have the box set to compare peak values, but I suspect that they would be the same mastering.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Bingo. IOW, did Barry or anyone else ever master this song for CD before George Marino? Sounds like not. Would have been interesting to compare.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree,

There are needledrops of the original 45 RPM of "Hey, Hey...." floating around on the internet. I have no idea who mastered the original 45, but it might be interesting to compare that.

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The previously elusive HHWCID did not appear on CD prior to the '90 Page/Marino remasters. FWIW the mastering from the CD single is most to my liking - as with the albums themselves the track would get louder and Louder with each subsequent release.

5. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I have the CD-Backtrax single of Immigrant Song/Hey Hey What Can I Do with the big red Atlantic logo label. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Immigrant-Son...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326335676&sr=1-3

Immigrant Song sounds quite loud and compressed on it (probably Marino's).

On the other hand, Hey Hey sounds very nice! In fact, when I put it next to the songs from the original (Diament) LZ III, the levels, dynamics and tone are very, very close. I recommend it.

6. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

This CD Single was released in ‘92 and was undoubtedly the same Marino mastering as the ‘90 LZ Box Set.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have the 45 of Hey Hey. It seems to fade out at the end, unlike the one they play on the radio. It may be a reissue 45. You can really here that "bar chatter" at the end on the one they play here in St. Louis.

8. kevin5brown

Thanks Rick. :)

9. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Do you have it? It doesn't come with liner notes, so I don't know who did what. Still, I'm surprised at how different the first track sounds from the second.

Bottom line: if you like Diament's work on the originals, you'll be happy with this version of Hey Hey What Can I Do. I know I am.

10. GreenDrazi

No, I don't. Which is one of the reasons that I said "undoubtedly." Perhaps you can run a DR report along with the RMS value on the CDS and post it here?

DR/RMS value of “Hey Hey ...” from the LZ Box Set:
    Code:
    DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR13       0.00 dB   -15.12 dB      3:56 14-Hey Hey What Can I Do
    And FWIW, I'm happy with some of both the Marino and BD masters.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It all depends on how loud I want to listen to them. Loud-Diament, Low Volume-Remasters

12. Case By Case

LD I-original
    LD II-original
    LD III-200g Classic LP-The SHM is 2nd, 3rd the original-The cds all sound bad on this one
    to me.
    LD IV-W/G Target for half, Remaster the other half
    HOTH-W/G Target-The remaster,What a mess, Bright as hell. BAD, BAD,BAD
    PG-A toss up between the 200g Classic LP & SHM, Hard to Call...The SHM is louder for sure but very detailed on certain songs
    ITTOD-I really like the SHM for this, loud but sounds damn good.
    PRESENCE-SHM hands down, kills the original
    CODA-Classic 200g LP, 2nd to the original..very close!!!

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Here are DR/RMS numbers from CD single:
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Statistics for: Hey Hey What Can I Do?
    Number of samples: 10416420
    Duration: 3:56 
    --------------------------------------------------------

Left              Right

Peak Value:      0.00 dB   ---      0.00 dB   
    Avg RMS:       -15.19 dB   ---    -15.05 dB   
    DR channel:     12.58 dB   ---     12.69 dB   
    --------------------------------------------------------

Official DR Value: DR13

===================================

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

There are some old HHWCID threads, but not much info on SQ:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19939
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=41695

Also a CD thread:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=135074

15. GreenDrazi

Looks to be the exact same - although, what are you using that splits the channels for the DR report?

16. kevin5brown

If you run the offline TT DR meter on a subdir, it only reports the average for each song in that subdir. If you run it on an individual file, then you get L & R channel info.

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks Kevin.

Also the Foobar plugin is still supported by the author - and for free! Current/latest version is from 08 Nov 2011. In addition it works on .flac :) . It may even be more accurate than the offline meter?

http://www.jokhan.demon.nl/DynamicRange/index.htm

"jokhan" if you are reading this, Huge Thanks for your efforts!

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Not to derail, however I picked up a copy of the first CD in Hong Kong a few years ago at HMW (rip) for a decent price.
    It's a mini LP package and sounds fantastic. At the time, HMV had 2 & 3 as well in similar package and price, but I did not pick them up.
    Anyone know where I can find them now?

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting poll results - what you didn't include we're the most recent abominations from 2007 (Mothership sounds horrid to me and I actually like the 90s Marino remasters) so it probably would have been more fair not to lump all remasters together.

20. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

:wave: I love the remasters. The originals sound fine, so I kept them. :righton:

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I've been listening to Zepp since high school [when they were retro-cool - they may still be] and they only way I've ever done so is with the volume cranked. If I want to listen to something at low volume it would never ever be Zep. Same goes for Sabbath, Maiden, etc.....

The Zep mini-lp's are all based on the Page/Marino remasters. The dynamics are reduced as they were made louder for those apparently without volume controls - I guess? Since they were all based on the Page/Marino's, in effect they were mastered from existing CD's.

Hated the sound of them so I sold off mine years ago except for III and PG which I kept soley for packaging although I can buy the original vinyl for a lot less and they look even cooler....

Try eBay or Japan website sellers these should not be too hard to locate. Or try a WTB in the forum classifieds as most [but not all] audiophile's abhor the loud and strangely EQ'd mini-lp "trademark" sound.

22. Rick, the first batch of Japanese mini-LP's from Japan from the late 90's have the original LZ remasters without the volume boost. These have the catalog number prefix AMCY-2xxx. These have also thicker cardboard than the later mini-LP's, and these are my preferred version of the LZ remasters. I have a complete set of those. I mostly prefer the originals but some songs sound better to me on the remasters. I think "Misty Mountain Hop" was one of them, for example.

23. By the way, there is (only?) one exception with regards to the subsequent Japanese mini-LP's being louder from release to release. That exception is "Coda". I have the original Japanese mini-LP AMCY-2442 and also the SHM-CD of "Coda" (which also has the four bonus songs which fit perfectly on this album). For this, the levels are more or less unchanged between the initial remaster and the much later SHM-CD.

See info below. First is from the first Japanese mini-LP and second from the SHM-CD:

Code:
    foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-01-16 21:30:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Led Zeppelin / Coda

DR10       0.00 dB   -11.55 dB      2:38 01-We're Gonna Groove
    DR12       0.00 dB   -13.98 dB      3:02 02-Poor Tom
    DR11       0.00 dB   -12.78 dB      4:18 03-I Can't Quit You Baby
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.37 dB      4:31 04-Walter's Walk
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.12 dB      3:36 05-Ozone Baby
    DR11       0.00 dB   -12.18 dB      5:07 06-Darlene
    DR11      -0.22 dB   -13.47 dB      4:19 07-Bonzo's Montreux
    DR11       0.00 dB   -11.83 dB      5:30 08-Wearing And Tearing

Number of tracks:  8
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           1411 kbps
    Codec:             CDDA
    ================================================================================

Code:
    foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-01-16 21:37:50

Analyzed: LED ZEPPELIN / Coda

DR10       0.00 dB   -11.59 dB      2:38 01-We're Gonna Groove
    DR12       0.00 dB   -13.97 dB      3:02 02-Poor Tom
    DR11       0.00 dB   -12.84 dB      4:18 03-I Can't Quit You Baby
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.41 dB      4:31 04-Walter's Walk
    DR10       0.00 dB   -11.17 dB      3:36 05-Ozone Baby
    DR11       0.00 dB   -12.18 dB      5:07 06-Darlene
    DR11      -0.22 dB   -13.47 dB      4:19 07-Bonzo's Montreux
    DR11       0.00 dB   -11.92 dB      5:31 08-Wearing And Tearing
    DR11       0.00 dB   -13.66 dB      4:29 09-(bonus) Baby Come On Home
    DR11      -1.87 dB   -14.58 dB      5:11 10-(bonus) Travelling Riverside Blues
    DR13       0.00 dB   -18.80 dB      8:03 11-(bonus) White Summer/Black Mountain Side
    DR10       0.00 dB   -12.62 dB      3:56 12-(bonus) Hey Hey What Can I Do

Number of tracks:  12
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        44100 Hz
    Channels:          2
    Bits per sample:   16
    Bitrate:           1411 kbps
    Codec:             CDDA
    ================================================================================

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks. The only 1 I had/have from the first batch was/is III. I also feel Misty as well as Goin to California sound better on the remaster but I don't like the early fades.

25. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I had a complete set that I bought around 1996-1997. They were very nice as I recall. I sold them for a nice profit, but sometimes I wish I still had them. I made backup copies, so I can still enjoy those.

I think it was determined that The original version of The Song Remains The Same was never remastered. That title was part of the mini LPs Roland mentions. I haven't listened to it in a very long time, but I'll assume that it has the original Barry Diament mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.