Cat vomit blows up Yamaha RX-471 receiver.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dallasv, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dallasv

Dallasv New Member Thread Starter

I saw another thread on here about a guy who had a cat vomit on his receiver. Well, this actually happened last night. I turned my receiver on, and I heard the sound of shorting, and then afew loud pops in my speakers and my receiver turned itself off. Turns out my ninja cat had vomited a small amount of gelatinous stuff (maybe about a quarter teaspoon worth) onto the board on the bottom right of the receiver.

I took it apart, cleaned out the gelatinous vomit substance, dried it, tried to start it and now it won't even turn on. The unit has no indication that it is receiving power.

I am hoping that there is a fuse or something on this thing that got blown, as I only bought it afew months ago. I've looked all over google but found nothing.. Does anyone know how I can go about fixing this or if it's even worth it to try to get an electronics repair place to take a look?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Best thread title of 2012 so far.

Clonesteak and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. Cat puke+receiver=one smoky mess!!!:biglaugh:
    BTW...great first post!!!:winkgrin:

4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

You can't not read a thread with a title like that. I hope you get it fixed. And please don't blame puss.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You need one of these:

[​IMG]

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I see this as being a "Will it blend" style series of experiments.

8. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I thought they'd cat vomit-proofed the Yamaha RX-471 receiverwith an upgrade years ago. My bad.

9. Zelonio

Zelonio Well-Known Member

It will be nice to have a post where we can share our experiences about the dangers of having a cat near a hi-fi system. Mine had a habit of jumping into the dust cover of my TT when the record was playing. After a couple of broken needles I found the solution: put some orange peel in the dust cover and keep it for a couple of weeks, the cat hates its smell. Now he hates the TT and no more fruits are needed in the dust cover :D

So, my advice is quite bizarre but useful: use orange/lemon peels wherever you don't want your cat around.

10. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hi Dallas! Sad news, it's worth looking into, the fuses should be near the speaker outputs. Does it have pre-out/amp-in jacks on the back? Can you use a multimeter? Have access to one? Find a scehmatic on-line?

I can get you in touch with some friends who might be able to talk you through it.

Craig

11. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Apparently cats are no longer content with just destroying speaker grills and LP spines.

12. The worst my cat Furby had done was coughed up a hairball on one of my Linn wool mats (tried carefully cleaning it with a slightly over-damp cloth, yet still managed to shrink it beyond use). I had the mat laying by itself, near the ground, away from equipment, so I guess Furby thought he was doing me a favor by not bringing up the hairball on the hardwood floor.

As for cat households, the only idea I can think of is to possibly place the receiver within shelves, with enough clearance above for airflow, but not enough for a cat to lay on top of the receiver (it just makes sense, especially after hearing of such a situation, as mentioned in the op). I have my preamp on top and the amp is on the lower shelf, where the cats can't get atop it, yet it has enough air flow around it to stay cool. Just a thought.

13. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

cats

thats why I like dogs - they just barf on the floor.

evidently your cat does not share your taste in music. :help:

14. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

This happened to me with an old NAD 2200. My cat loved the heat it threw off and used to sleep on it.

I had just gotten the thing back from the shop after a power surge had destroyed something minor in the power supply - the cat puke was far more destructive, requiring somewhat of a rebuild.

Good news was that it sounded better after the repair, so thanks kitty!

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I knew a guy who threw his mother's poodle through her t.v. set. :shh::sigh::shake:

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A sign there's a need for upgrading. Except for one receiver and a few separates, I have not been much of a Yamaha fan. But, that's my ears. Like Yamaha guitars, don't care for their pianos very much.

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

You say the units only a few months old? Then it should be still under warranty.As long as you got the ***** puke cleaned out of it send it back to where you got it and feign ignorance.Maybe they'll replace it.BTW welcome to the forum.Despite all the jokes about you're thread title,(I laughed myself)
    all the guys here are very very helpful and knowledgeable.

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Indeed. When I read it, I thought it would be a good album title, maybe shortened to just "Cat Vomit Blows Up" by Green Day. What do you think?

Doug

19. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Sorry your first post has to be this one. :sigh:

I agree, clean it out and let it dry real well. If there is no evidence of "liquid" damage then you might be able to get a warranty repair, however, since all electronics manufactures warn you to avoid liquids getting on their gear they will not cover it if the can see evidence of the liquid damage.

20. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Tough luck. Like the song says, cats are on the upgrade, upgrade?
    Not much of an upgrade when the cat pukes. Our cat knows to puke on only the scratched vinyl.

21. My former wife and I used to have 2 black American Short-Haired cats, one male and one female. When I wasn't home they used to get into some pretty crazy dust ups according to my ex, chasing each other around and s****. The male used to jump up and sit on my B+W 600 series speakers which are on metal stands. (I wasn't aware of this until the following incident.)

One night while the ex was home with the cats, the male jumped off the left speaker and it fell and crashed to the ground putting a nasty dent in the left back corner of the top of the speaker. Wasn't very happy.

My partner Debra and I have 2 beautiful Pomeranian dogs now. They're small and they don't jump on my speakers. :D

To the OP, sorry to hear about your Yamaha receiver. Hope it's not too expensive to get fixed.

22. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Active Member

One of our cats took a crap inside my Klipsch LaScala's once :righton:

23. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Took years to train my cat NOT to go close to the stereo....a snap of the fingers was all it took to change his direction> Used to put tape around the stereo sticky side up with lots of pepper...to change his mind. Sorry to hear, but funny as hell!

sean

24. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Is there somewhere that I can buy these? I've had too many mornings that I've encountered cold cat puke and heard the wife say "oh yeah, the cat threw up last night but I didn't want to wake you by cleaning it up." This might help me avoid stepping it in. :D

More on topic, sorry to hear about your Yamaha's demise.

25. tyler8

tyler8 Forum Resident

Good thing about having cats (3) and dog/s 2 at one time is that they generally feed upon each others eject regardless of which end it comes out of. Keeps an otherwise turbulent household in this regard a little more respectable.

Check that, cats are a little more picky about what they eat, dogs are generally all in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.