Band On The Run - DCC or Hi-Res ??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scoostraw, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member

You might consider the possibility that many people here are going to prefer the DCC for the sole reason that it was mastered by Steve Hoffman. You should probably find a more objective forum on which to ask this question.

Tommy19 likes this.
  2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Also this.

3. helter

helter Forum Resident

1) I love the DCC
    2) I love the 2010 remaster
    3) The hi rez I still haven't bothered to download that yet

4. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President Thread Starter

Do you have to choose either the limited or unlimited hi-res versions? You don't get both?

5. scoostraw

Yes of course. Some folks may be biased. But I have heard some of Steve's work myself, so I'm not totally objective myself. (Who is?)

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Maybe. Or it could be that the DCC actually sounds better than any other version that's ever been made. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's that last statement, by quite a margin. I've got almost every other version out there, including the Hi-rez download, the DTS and the Anniversary Edition. No contest - DCC is the one to get.

I like the Anniversary Edition, and have even recommended it, but the DCC is better. It's warmer, more detailed and doesn't have that 'digital' quality the Anniversary Edition can exhibit. For me, the hi-rez version is more than a little bass-shy... it's bass is MIA and for this album the bass should be much more out-front than the hi-rez version offers.

Go DCC and don't look back. Band On The Run is one of the more afforedable DCC titles, so you should be able to get it for $50-$75 if you're patient.

mikeyt and kenbefound like this.
  7. OdoKosh

OdoKosh New Member

I have both. Get the DCC. The Hi-Rez unlimited version will only become better once you can no longer buy it on the Macca site.

kenbefound likes this.
  8. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

What literal bang do you get?

More seriously, how is a download with no resale value more bang for buck than a CD?

Or do you just meant that the DCC tends to be expensive s/h? In which case I agree of course!

Tim

9. The DCC is great, but the unlimited hi-res is just wonderful, one of the finest remasters I've ever heard. Abbey Road team finally decided to do things right.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Dumb question for someone who doesn't download. I just got the Band on the Run Archive Collection, so I have the "business card" with the free download code. Are the files that I download easy enough to burn to a DVD-R? What software would I need for that? Something free?

11. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

I don't know if is cool to criticize the DCC disc here, but IMHO, despite the great sound, my problem with it is the fluctuation in levels from track to track. After the first two tracks Bluebird comes in about 4 decibels quieter, and then the volume shoots back up for Mrs Vanderbilt. Similarly with other tracks on side 2. I find this rather frustrating when listening at low level late at night. I have the recent remaster and this problem seems to have been ironed out. So I like both for different reasons. Haven't heard the Hi-Rez, but I honestly can't be bothered with that format.

12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Not a dumb question at all. I am not technologically savvy and I know there are a hundred ways to do it but I simply downloaded them (you pick and create your own folder) then imported the files into Itunes to play off my PC.

I know Itunes is not preferred around here but it worked.

The only thing I had to do was change the file names so they made more sense.

And yes, they are sitting in Itunes as hi-res because they are saved in the folder that way.

And since they are files on my PC, I can copy them on any format with ease.

But that is just one method - and I am sure there are others. But just download them first. It's easy and you already bought them. Figure out how to transfer or play them later. You can always change that method later.

Good luck!

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I agree. I have the following:

* Original Wally Apple Vinyl
    * DCC
    * 90s Anniversary
    * "The McCartney Collection" UK version
    * "The Paul McCartney Archive Collection" most recent release.

This is a wonderful sounding album, which has been well mastered many times. All versions I've heard sound fabulous; yes, even the dreaded "McCartney Collection" version. My "Go To" is the DCC, but all the versions sound great to my ears.

Personal favorite version is the DTS Quadraphonic version.

15. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I compared Jet on both versions.
    Based on that song alone, the DCC, and by a wide margin.
    Not sure about the other songs though.

16. evad

evad Well-Known Member

:righton: Same for me.

17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I'm afraid so, yes. You can also order both for a package price on the McCartney site though. Be sure to check out if HD Tracks has a cheaper deal, can't compare the dollar rates over here.

Haha, nice one. The part where the rain exploded with a mighty crash, of course ;).

The hi-res part, since both masterings are equally good. To keep it simple: you can choose from a very well done mastering on CD, or a very well done mastering with hi-res option.

18. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

19. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Get this and the other 5 McCartney dcc's. That make a great collection. I would spring for excellent condition copies. Something about acquiring a dcc in great condition. Makes it seem more worthwhile than a beat copy for almost as much.

20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The high resolution unlimited version of Band on the Run sounds very good on my system and totally worth the $15-20 it retails for. I guess if finding the out-of-print DCC is too hard/expensive, then just take the plunge with the download.

Edit - I haven't made a A/B comparison to the DCC and don't own a very high end system.

sound chaser likes this.
  21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I have them all (except the black triangle) and prefer the DCC too.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I downloaded the files yesterday, but I want to transfer them to a DVD-R to play in my stereo systems, as I don't have a PC connected to them. There's no point to playing hi-rez files on my PC speakers.

Thanks! I'll give that thread a read tonight.

23. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

The DCC by a mile.
    I have every digital version of BOTR and, while the latest Apple remaster is probably the second best version, it doesn't come close to Steve's mastering. All you need to do is listen to the title track.

24. scoostraw

My tally (if I counted right) is:

DCC: 19
    Hi-Res: 4
    Toss-Up: 5

I am noticing a trend here...

25. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

No it's not - he didn't say he had the hi res which is what you wanted compared :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.