The James Gang: Bang or Miami

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

I’ve been on a Tommy Bolin kick lately (Come Taste The Band, Spectrum, Private Eyes, Bang and Miami) and I haven’t heard his music in a while. His playing sounds refreshing to my ears. I never realized how good of a rhythm player he is until just now. And I’ve been into his music since 1991.
    I first was introduced to his work via The James Gang. Miami was the first I heard of Tommy, having already been into the Walsh and Troiano-led eras of The Gang.
    So, this is my question. Which album do you prefer? Bang or Miami? And why?
    I think Bang is the stronger of the two, yet I have a soft spot for Miami because it was my introduction to Tommy’s work. Too bad they never recorded any concerts because the few audience tapes I’ve heard sound great from a playing standpoint. This incarnation of the band was really good.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I love listening to Bolin, but I voted neither. Just can't handle the vocalist on these records (sorry, can't remember his name offhand).

DJ LX likes this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I like both these albums a lot. Miami is one of the best produced albums I've ever heard-- absolutely great sound on it, but I think Bang is stronger in terms of material...the best non-Walsh James Gang album over all. And man, when you consider some of the other singers Bolin worked with, this guy (Roy Kenner) was a breath of fresh air.

It still boggles the mind that they got away with the cover and title.

4. pool_of_tears

The vocalist in question is Roy Kenner.

5. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Oh man...I really like both albums too! I give the edge to "Miami"

6. pool_of_tears

Interesting. I never thought about the production too much. :)

The cover for Bang...that photo was taken while Domenic Troiano was still in the band...Tommy's face is pasted over Dom's. If you've a copy of the vinyl, look closely at the front cover....they are admiring James Gang album covers actually...well, except for Roy Kenner. ;)

clhboa and Comet01 like this.
  7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I voted for Bang. Standing In The Rain is a great song!

bartels76 and klockwerk like this.
  8. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

For me Bang by a long shot is the better album. Alexis and Standing In The Rain are 2 great songs and the rest of the album is pretty decent too. "Miami" is ok and I have it many years but it doesn't compare to "Bang".

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Bang is a better record for many reasons. Alexis is such a great song too, and worth listening to repeatedly.

The mixed feeling I get is from Straight Shooter. Can't say if I hate OR like it. I got that record as a gift when I was like 6 years old as a cutout. Being that young, I was hoping for some of that Walsh swagger, but none was found....

10. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

There is no James Gang without Joe Walsh.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I voted for Bang because as others have mentioned it has the song "Alexis" on it.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

when joe walsh left, they should have let it go.

Ignatius likes this.
  13. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Produced really well and on vinyl you get the added benefit of an RL cut.

gramfan likes this.
  14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

15. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

You are really missing something special if you dismiss the Bolin-era albums.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I voted neither. Used to have both of these on LP but recall practically nothing about them other than I didn't like them. Saying this as a big fan of Tommy btw (who also thinks that the James Gang without Joe Walsh were pretty weak).

Comet01 and DJ LX like this.
  17. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

That echoes my sentiments. I had to go with Bang, even though I detest the album cover.

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Well.....there's a story to that one.

The original title of Straight Shooter was to be called "James Gang- Bang".
    Obviously this started out as a joke, but they got as far as shooting the cover featuring Domenic Troiano with the rest of the band on a bed with a nubile woman.

The record company were real un-easy about this and decided to pull the plug. Told them to find another name, so the photoshoot was shelved..until Tommy Bolin joined the band and times had changed, so The Gang suggested the name "Bang" (though I have heard Roy Kenner refer to it as "Gang Bang" on some live shows.

So, they dusted off the photoshoot and then edited out Troiano's head, and put a photo of Tommy Bolin on his Body and that's how we have the James Gang Bang title and cover.

Attached Files:

1970 likes this.
  19. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

And if anyone is in any doubt how much Tommy Bolin brought to the band, check out his home demo of Standing In The Rain... Unbelievable. He even puts the drum roll in there. He didn't just bring in a few ideas, he brought whole albums worth of songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eoDg5fhIp8

20. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Miami...side 1 is one of my all-time fave album sides. "Cruisin' Down the Highway" is a killer rock track you never hear on Classic Rock radio. They actually played it some here in my area back in the day. Hey, if Jon Lord and Ian Paice thought Bolin was good enough to replace Ritchie...that's sumthin'.

Would love to see some good sounding live stuff emerge from this version of the Gang...like a King Biscuit type thing.

21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I agree. Must Be Love I don't mind, but even that doesn't get near to the real James Gang. The rest of the later material does nothing for me.

22. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Bang for me

23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I prefer the Walsh era overall but of the two choices presented here, I'll go with Bang.

24. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

+1
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm/t5

Ian Laws likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That explains why I used to have a copy of Passing Thru (not Straight Shooter) with "The James Gang Bang" given as the title on the label (though the cover was the one we know).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.