"Tarkus" LP - Island pressing for $25. Is it the best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GKH, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw it again yesterday at one of the shops. It looks to be M- / VG+. I'm just wondering if that's too much to pay. I need "Tarkus" on vinyl. It's been a few years.

Thanks!

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The version I like the most is the original UK Pink Rim Island A-1U "Porky" / B1-U "Pecko" cut.

It can be surprisingly difficult to find in playable condition. Many copies were played hard, and my impression is that it was a budget pressing for Island. The vinyl quality can be hit or miss, sometimes crackly. I've also never seen an original UK without substantial ringwear on the cover.

Is that the version you see locally? If so, $25 seems quite reasonable if it plays well. That's less than you would likely spend if you bought a sight unseen copy from England, especially when considering Transatlantic shipping costs.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

+1

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

That's about what I paid for a very playable UK original copy with an Island aqua inner, and I haven't heard better, personally, for all ELP core titles in fact.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. TLMusic

The audio quality on a good UK copy is in the demo disc league. It rocks pretty hard.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

It is a very loud and powerful cut and seems very prone to mistracking. I'm pretty certain any crackle / distortion was added by use on bad turntables, not there from the start.

7. GKH

I may go ahead and buy it. The nice thing about this particular shop is, they sell nearly all of their used vinyl in outer plastic sleeves. And, I bet they buy the Diskkeeper brand from the local source, Sleeve City. I now have all my LPs in these, and have replaced all the paper inner sleeves with the Diskkeeper inner sleeves.

Thanks for the input everyone.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. TLMusic

If it comes with the original UK inner sleeve, don't discard that--in case you were planning to.

As noted by "chevvies", early pressings came in a cool aqua colored polylined inner, and it is collectible.

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

There is some powerful bass on there which I always attributed to Greg Lake's 'unorthodox' production style. I can't say I noticed a difference between the aforementioned vinyl issue, and previous cd listenings ie Atlanic, MFSL, Manticore WG and Sanctuary concerning 'loud bass', although maybe my tt is tracking properly, yay!

I'd like to hear a flat 24/96 from the original masters though :).

Icethorn likes this.
  10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Oh good, I must have the only one :)

Tim

11. GKH

I'm not discarding any of the inner sleeves that I am replacing with Diskeeper plastic sleeve. I'm simply sliding the original paper sleeves inside along with the record. Works like a charm. :thumbsup:

12. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Sorry....there were two left. :D

13. GKH

I did some checking, and found there is a 180 gram pressing of “Tarkus” by ‘Music on Vinyl’ available. $40.00. Anyone own this one? Before I go and spend $25.00 for a pre-owned (Island) copy, I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

14. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've never heard the new reissue, but I seriously doubt that it could top the sound of the early Island pink rim pressing. $25 for an original Island "Tarkus" LP in decent shape is a really nice deal.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Tarkus has never sounded better than the original vinyl...
    No CD or LP reissue has ever touched it...
    Purchase it and be amazed~!

Icethorn likes this.
  16. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

That is THE ONE, that is a great price !

17. GKH

This is the one the local shop has... (white inner - plastic lined sleeve) - pink rim label

Tarkus (LP, Album) Island Records, ILPS 9155, UK, 1971

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I picked up a German pink rim Island at Half-Price Books for $8.00 a year or so back, so they are out there.

19. GKH

I think, I'm going to buy it if they still have it tomorrow. :righton:

Have to plan that drive just right though. The shop is in Midtown Memphis. My office is way out east. Going to require a long lunch. After work is no option. No way, I'll fight that traffic, then drive home the opposite direction 40 miles. Lol!! :)
    I should have followed my instinct, and picked it up Saturday when I was there. I'm a Goof!

20. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Anyone own UK and/or German Manticore copies of any ELP albums? Curious as to how those sound.

21. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I have two different German pressings, one Island and one Manticore, can't really remember differences between the two. So I still need the UK?

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Tarkus in the present.

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  23. GKH

Now; that is cool! :righton:

24. GKH

I drove across town at lunch and took delivery for $24.95. :) On the inside of the sleeve in the lower right corner..

Island Records Ltd
    Basing Street London W11

The cover is pretty clean. I’d grade it a VG to VG+. No ring wear on the front. The vinyl looks to be M-. The white sleeve has the clear window. And, the pressing itself has the pink border on the label.
    I’m going to listen to it tonight. I have no other reference, of course. Other than my CD. My original vinyl of “Tarkus” is long gone. And, I have no idea what pressing it was.

Cassius likes this.
  25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

All well and good, but is "Porky" in the deadwax?

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.