Legacy CD series: Bear's Sonic Journals / Owsley Stanley

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

There's already thread here about the upcoming Janis Joplin / Big Brother Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968 release being issued by Legacy.

But this is touted as the "first" release in a series called "Bear's Sonic Journals," recordings made by Grateful Dead soundman Owsley Stanley (aka "Bear"). Apparently, Stanley recorded most live acts that shared the bill with The Dead. Stanley died last year, so unclear what artists will be part of this series. I wonder if Hendrix dates will be included?

Does anyone have any info one what titles and artists will be included in this "Bear's Sonic Journal" series -- besides the Big Brother / Joplin release due out in March?

Here's the press release for the first title:

2. monkboughtlunch

This is the cover art for the first CD in the "Bear's Sonic Journals" series. Anyone know of more titles to come?

[​IMG]

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is that the same Owsley Stanley that was HUGE in the LSD business? The same guy that sold LSD to L. Ron Hubbard by the boatload. I had a chance to actually take some of this now famous....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley

4. Awful cover.

M321115 likes this.
  5. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Yes, that was the same Owsley Stanley.

6. therockman

I agree.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

What on earth was artist Stanley Mouse thinking? :confused:

8. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

M321115 likes this.
  9. monkboughtlunch

So the Joplin title comes out on Tuesday. Does anyone know what other artists and CDs will be released in this new "bears sonic journals" series on legacy?

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I sure hope some Quicksilver was recorded by Bear and they will release it. :D

ARK likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right, a recording he did of the Allmans opening for the Dead at Fillmore East in 1970 was released by the Allmans a few years ago.

ARK likes this.
  12. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Yep, Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore East in February, 1970.

I second the Quicksilver comment above! :)

13. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'll 3rd it.

I want some vintage QMS, por favor.

14. monkboughtlunch

Am intrigued by the Allman recordings. What was released on the Grateful Dead label in the 90s is out of print. I also understand that 2 CD set consisted of highlights drawn from several nights /sets? I don't have that one. How is the version of Mountain Jam?

15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

ARK likes this.
  16. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

it's ok....not as good as the bonus disc of the deluxe eat a peach..the 6/71 Fillmore East private show....that is perhaps better than the famous March 71 shows

17. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

I found out that the new Big Brother album is already available on Spotify. The sound quality to my ears is excellent and it is an absolute blast to hear something else than Winterland '68 for a change! I'm really loving this, I know once again exactly why I dig Janis so much.

18. monkboughtlunch

Thanks. Makes one curious as to what other artists will be featured in this new CD series.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It seems like it was well recorded, but I never thought it sounded that great. It seemed a bit rough around the edges.

I'm not convinced that there is going to be a wide range of artists outside of the usual San Francisco suspects (Dead, Joplin/Big Brother, QMS, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, etc.).

20. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

"The Owsley Stanley Foundation was incorporated on August 25, 2011 as a California non-profit corporation dedicated to fostering diverse charitable, artistic, musical, and scientific endeavors for the public benefit. The Foundation’s primary purpose is to arrange for the preservation and eventual production and public distribution of Owsley Stanley’s “Sonic Journals,” a unique (and rapidly deteriorating) archive of more than 1,300 live concert soundboard recordings from the 1960s and 1970s, including rare recordings of performances by such prominent artists as Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Santana, Taj Mahal, Fleetwood Mac, The Allman Brothers, Steve Miller, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Thelonious Monk, Dr. John, Dan Hicks, Chuck Berry, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Electric Flag, Blue Cheer, The Youngbloods, David Grisman, Old and in the Way, and others."

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1034283

jay.dee likes this.
  21. therockman

I hope we get a chance to hear some more of these concerts. I like the Janis and The Dead concerts that I have heard so far.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

23. Starfinder

Starfinder Forum Resident

Anybody who is still watching this thread -go check out the owsleystanleyfoundation.org site -the latest Bear's Sonic Journals project is a 7 CD box set that will be released in late June but is available for purchase now only on the OSF website.

Dave Garrett likes this.
  24. therockman

Thanks. I just pre-ordered this at Amazon for $55.00. I am looking forward to this.

25. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Surprised this release isn't generating a buzz here, unless I've missed it.

Yesterday I received the Doc & Merle from 1974 at the boarding house on Bear's Sonic Journals and it's freaking incredible. I've listened to first two nights and music is just outstanding with the most gorgeous analogue sounding recording despite the CD digital format it's on. Loving this. Thank you Bear.

Zafu

GerryO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.