1992 is 20 years old !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi ya :wave:

I stole the idea from this thread
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=277838

Since I don't even have memories from 1982, I want to jump 10 years to 1992.
    In 1992 I really listened to music (when radio and TV actually mattered for new music around!) :agree: and it was such a great year for me as well! I learned to play guitar :edthumbs:

I don't want to post the typical and (ab)used "best albums of 1992". Rather, what albums were YOUR personal favourites and why :agree:
    Don't be shy. Share your memories, your tastes, etc. Do you still listen to those albums today?

Well, in 1992 my favourites albums were:

1- Bon Jovi: Keep The Faith. I remember being the first album that I actually heard and bought first on CD :cheers: An incredible album, with a new sound. I still love 'Dry County'. Their longest ever song, and one of the finest long songs ever. That CD (which ends with the astounding 'Save I Prayer') I still own and still sounds great!

2- Def Leppard: Adrenalize. The first time, as usual around that era, I actually watched the first single on TV. In this case, 'Let's Get Rocked' with one of the coolest videos ever seen. Unlike Keep The faith, this one came first on cassette for me. I used to listen to the album @ really loud levels

3- ABBA: Gold. My introduction to ABBA!. My parents bought the CD and I really liked the group

4- Joe Satriani: The Extremist. I was learning to play guitar. The funny thing is that I actually learned first on an spanish guitar, without a pick. Despite I heared a lot of rock, I first began to play folk songs, The Beatles and a good deal of other material. I played an electric guitar for the first time when I was 15

5- Kiss: Revenge. Despite I didn't buy the album (I borrowed a cassette from a friend) I liked a lot of it. 'Unholy' sounded really heavy, and 'God Gave Rock and Roll To You' is still one of my all-time fav Kiss anthems

... and where're all the other universally acclaimed albums? I loved the singles from Automatic for the People, but it wasn't until 1994 or around that I actually heard the album. I discovered Peter Gabriel's 'Us' in mid 90s and so on.

Have fun! :wave:

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I bought The Extremist when it came out in '92. Great album. Sony should have released it on SACD.

3. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

tempted to start a 2002 thread ;)

My 1992 Highlight is XTC's Nonsuch

5. '92 was all REM 'Automatic for the People' for me.

6. ponkine

That would be rather sad, other than 'A Rush of Blood To The Head' there wasn't much memorable material around :(

7. Oh, and wasn't Blood Sugar Sex Magic as well a '92 album?

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Do we need a quinceaƱera for 1997?

9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

1992 was my last year of major music purchases, for many years. I was 25 and engaged to be married. Both being factors in that.

I was definitely starting to head down the road that most of my friends stayed in, which was have about a ten year period from mainly their teenage years where they centered on music, and then just re-lived that over and over. But luckily(?) I got back on the bandwagon a bit by the late 1990's, and then even more so by ~2004.

1992 albums I remember getting:

The Sugarcubes -- Stick Around For Joy
    Shona Laing -- New On Earth
    Ian McCulloch -- Mysterio
    Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
    Juliana Hatfield - Hey Babe
    The Sundays - Blind
    Buffalo Tom -- Let Me Come Over

10. ponkine

Didn't know anything about RHCP at that time. :help:

Anyway, a quick wikipedia search ... 24 September 1991.

11. ponkine

not a bad idea :)

'Ok Computer' for me. Right on :edthumbs:

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

1992...I was 15 for half the year, 16 for the other half. I saw Metallica that year. Great show, 3 hours long, just Metallica.

Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power was a favorite of us headbangers that year. I saw Pantera open for (yeeech!) Skid Row that summer. We also dug White Zombie's Sexorcisto album. Oh, and Alice in Chain's "Dirt". I loved Faith No More's "Angel Dust" album. Still do.

All these grunge people started coming around. There was a shift in the scene. It was weird. What was a headbanger to do? Thrash metal was going pop, even making appearances on MTV countdown shows. Yikes!

Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" was a good 'un, a nice rebound from the previous album, which I didn't like. Sadly, this would be the last album with Bruce for a long while. *sniffle*

1992 also heralded my entry into the digital age with my first CD player (a hand-me-down from a distant cousin, thanks Uncle Freddy for giving it to me). I bought Master of Puppets right away. Got Pink Floyd Shine On for Christmas (I think).

Aside from thrash metal I tended to avoid everything new and popular, so my memories of the current scene are largely irrelevant.

13. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

1992 was a GREAT year for me. It was my second semester as a freshman in college at Hofstra for the first half of the year, summer back home in Miami, Gluocester, VA, aka the sticks, for the fall, and back to Miami for the winter. 1992 was a HUGE year for me. As the saying goes, there's a time and a place for everything, and that place is college. I discovered illegal substances that greatly changed my life. I saw my first Dead show at Nassau, my first Phish shows in New Hampshire and NYC, saw a triple bill of Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in NYC, Rush, Peter Gabriel, and other bands that just blew my mind. These releases from '92 were my soundtrack and still hold a very special place in my heart:

beastie boys: check your head
    the black crowes: southern harmony and musical companion
    phish: a picture of nectar
    peter gabriel: Us
    iron maiden: fear of the dark
    helmet: meantime
    prince: the symbol album
    r.e.m.: automatic for the people

That and the late '91 releases like "blood sugar sex magic," "roll the bones," "nevermind," and Julian Cope's "peggy suicide" made '92 a fantastic year for me.

14. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I remember in 92, seeing Tori Amos with just a piano in a very small venue about a month prior to the release of Little Earthquakes. I was stunned.

15. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

A big comeback year for Elton John after rehab with "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" and "The One".

16. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Beck - Sea Change
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
    The WHite Stripes - White Blood Cells
    Spoon - Kill the Moonlight

17. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

That means "Detachable *****" is 20 years old. Next year I'll buy it a drink.

18. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

:righton:

I would also add:
    Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    The Cure - Wish
    k.d. lang - Ingenue

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

For me 1992 was absolutely dominated by Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head". At the end of the year the debut album by "Rage Against the Machine" made quite an impact as well. Powerful music, great times!

I was 24.

20. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Roy Orbison - King Of Hearts
    Little Village
    Elton John - The One
    Sailor - Street Lamp
    T Bone Burnett - The Criminal Under My Own Hat
    Dr. John - Goin' Back To New Orleans
    Ringo Starr - Time Takes Time

U2's Achtung Baby should be included here as well because this was one of my discoveries of 92 despite being released the year before.

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

D'oh. I forgot about Stone Temple Pilots' Core. Terrific and listened recently, too

22. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

PJ Harvey - Dry

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Let's see-1992. Yes, I remember it well.

Nirvana-Nevermind (I know-it came out in '91, but '92 was the year it all blew up)
    Rage Against The Machine-The most audacious debut album ever (that's right-I said it)
    Jayhawks-Hollywood Town Hall
    Singles-Original Soundtrack
    Lemonheads-It's A Shame About Ray-I still listen to this album weekly
    Neil Young-Harvest Moon-My favorite Neil album that hardly gets talked about
    XTC-Nonesuch
    Joe Satriani-Extremist-his best album
    They Might Be Giants-Apollo 18
    STP-Core

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

25. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

1992 was an odd year, in the aftermath of Freddie Mercurys death I started looking around for other music to listen to aside from Queen, it led me to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Metallica, Atomic Rooster and most other things 'Kerrang' had on offer. Plus I had got into Nirvana as well - grunge was really coming through big here and when Def Leppard came back with 'Let's get rocked' they looked ridiculous!
    April 1992 had the big Freddie Mercury tribute concert too, some great performances and some not so great ones as well!
    It was also the year I started playing guitar...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.