WKRP coming to Antenna TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khojem, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My guess is that it will all be intact, as the rights for broadcast use were negotiated long ago, but time will tell. Could go either way.

Matt

4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

great news!

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The music will probable be intact. What you have to worry about is syndication edits in general and time compression.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I remember how excited I was when "Fernwood 2night" and "Taxi" came to Nick at Nite in the 1990s, and how disappointed I was to see two of my favorite shows butchered to the point they were almost unwatchable. Oof.

Matt

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah; Nick@Nite was/TV Land is sort of a mixed blessing in that regard.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Now, if Antenna TV was on Comcrap in my area, I would be happy about this announcement.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It's on WPIX Ch. 11.4 in New York over broadcast digital, and I have it on Time Warner Cable Ch. 166 in my area. Love this channel, and WKRP will make me love it even more!

I hope to grab all 90 shows, if (most of) the music is there.

10. This is the key thing, while it would be great to have the music it would be even greater to have the FULL original broadcasted episodes. I don't think they've been seen since their original airdate, take for example the "Daydreams" episode, the syndicated version cuts out the Bailey sequence.

11. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

BOOGER!

12. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that. :righton:

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Antenna TV shows the syndicated versions of All In The Family...the first four seasons do not contain the minute-or-so-long 3rd segment that appeared at the very end of each episode just before the credits. The DVDs do have them complete.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The DVDs are great (well, they don't include the pilot episodes but other than that…). I'm glad the complete series is now available on DVD. :)

16. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Good news. I am starting to watch shows on Antenna TV and enjoy the station.

17. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Wish we could get Antenna TV over here, as they air The Benny Hill Show. We're lucky if we get Benny Hill maybe one every 5 years.

18. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

..... God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Mmm Bailey.

20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

:thumbsup: I need to find my first season box and compare to what they will show.

21. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Anyone know the original episode runtime versus the "syndicated" cuts runtime?
    I am guessing something like 27 minutes vs 24 minutes?
    Is AntennaTV likely to cut them even shorter?

22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Usually, the cutoff time is between 21-22 minutes. That's what makes the DVD versions of shows in the 60's and 70's so shocking. A show like Hogan's Heroes for example, episodes ran for between 25-26 minutes before syndication got their hands on them. And...back then....seasons ran into the 30's episode wise. M*A*S*H - OUCH. Some of the syndicated episodes have scenes cut out. And with repeated airings, just gets worse.

23. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

Communists!

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of the great revelations of watching TV shows on DVD is seeing just how much of these shows I've never seen before because I've only ever seen chopped-up syndication prints. Entire scenes get edited out.

25. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Did anyone watch last night? I'd like to know if they used the original full episodes with music intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.