Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 34 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Just reminder that right now we have a blind listening thread going on for Chopin's Berceuse. You can download FLAC or MP3 samples to particiapate. Or, if you prefer, I've also added the MP3 files to a site called 4shared. what this means is that anyone can now hear all 10 samples without downloading them. Just click the links to hear each sample:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7514278&postcount=11[/

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and if I may add my 2 cents, the game is a lot of fun. I've downloaded the FLAC files and look forward to hearing what goodies George has in store for us!

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ooooh, new thread. :nauga:

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The order on the following twofers was shipped by MDT yesterday ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Have you seen any of that blind comparison series BTW (he asks wishfully...)?

7. wolfram

I downloaded the Beethoven sonatas, but only got around to listen to them once and couldn't really decide. I still get easily distracted by sound quality and when I reach number three I don't remember what number one sounded like :laugh:. I have not yet downloaded the Chopins since I'm not really into Chopin that much. But I still might give them a try.

8. Tangledupinblue

No obligation, people are of course free to choose if they want to take part or not. These things do take a sizable chunk out of one's time and most people understandably find it nigh on impossible to differentiate between a good and not so good performance of the same piece if they're not used to that sort of thing. I remember seriously struggling with my first attempt at music criticism; back in my first year at university our tutorial group had to review this classical concert and I just didn't know where to begin. I just thought "well they played well and it sounded good - what more is there to say?".

9. wolfram

Yep, that's a bit where I'm still now. But I only started listening to different versions of the same music quite recently. Before that I rather looked for new music instead of buying many versions of the same piece. Of course this thread changed that. :laugh:

10. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Happy St Patty's Day my classical friends!
    Have a Guinness or a Killian's on me! :cheers:

[​IMG]

12. wolfram

Sláinte! :cheers:

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Highly recomended.

14. coopmv

Don't forget to serve corned beef with cabbage ... :winkgrin:

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following trio, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Has anyone heard from Jay, our resident Mahler expert?

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Right now ...

I didn't have time to react before the thread cut-off, so I'll do it now. Some time ago I was on a flight to California and listening to the on-board music selection -- this time the 'classical' loop that happened to be dedicated to women composers. I don't remember everything on it; there was some Clara Schumann, among others. One thing that haunted me on that flight and a week later on the flight back east was an overture by Ellen Taaffe Zwilich called Celebration. I had my local Borders special order it for me (this was long before I discovered the joys of one-click Amazon nervana:)). I wouldn't have dreamed anyone on these threads would post this album...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7516710&postcount=991

This recording is special to me because Celebration was commissioned by the Indianapolis Symphony to celebrate their new home, the downtown Circle Theater. I grew up in Indy, and I have fond memories of seeing some movies back then in that venue, including three projector Cinerama showings of "It's a Mad Mad Mad World" and "Grand Prix".

[​IMG]

19. Rmac58

Rmac58 Member

^ Yeah, last night was ladies night. I listened to that and another cd.

Then Joan Tower, all five cds I have were quite enjoyable.

"Grand Prix" is a favorite of mine.

John S likes this.
  20. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Just ordered this:

[​IMG]

Richard Strauss - orchestral works conducted by Karajan. Couldn't resist at €27. Already have the 5cd set Reiner conducts Strauss. I think I'm truly addicted. :help:

21. wolfram

Looks like he hasn't checked in for quite some time now. Hope he's well.

22. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - works of Prokofiev, Khachaturian and Shostakovich from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I took 3 versions of Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' on vinyl to the Jacksonville AXPONA but ended up playing mostly small-combo jazz on those systems.

Couldn't decide between Rubenstein, Gilels or Gould.

24. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

But try not to fart afterward, or that delicious 95 lb lassie will leave your bed and head for the exits! :laugh:

25. Tangledupinblue

Sadly I believe he's done what's known in online terms as "flouncing"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.