Chicago area record stores past and present (with photos)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by larry333, Mar 19, 2012.

1. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for sharing.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yup, nice place and in particular their deep catalog of late 60's/early 70's rock compared favorably to Tower's.

Quad Linda likes this.
  3. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

His name is Ric Addy, but you're right, he's a wonderful guy. I was in there one day and he was listening to a mix CD on the stereo. A customer asked him who was playing, and he said "Lightnin' Hopkins! You like it?" The customer nodded, and Ric asked him if he wanted to take the CD home. "It's just a mix I made at home, I can make another one. Take it, enjoy!" The ultimate record store owner, if you ask me. He's all about spreading the love of music, not just making a buck.

I dunno, my time with him was strained. His dogs were big and dumb, and severely under-exercised. They'd jump all over me when I'd get to the house, but could barely make it a block without plopping down on the ground. He insisted I walk them for at least an hour, which was nearly impossible. He was always home doing a lot of nothing when I walked them, which made me wonder why he couldn't just walk them himself. He was kind of a hermit, and when I commented on his living room stereo and record collection, he grumbled and avoided the issue. Sort of treated me like I was going to steal it or something. I dunno, I just always got a weird vibe from him.

4. lpecucci

lpecucci Member

wow...yeah,Ric!...its been a while since I saw him at the shop,was there twice last summer and some girl was there both times.....

As I type I'm about 3 blocks from Shake Rattle and Read....think I'll stop over!

5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I was about to. They used to have gigantic sales in their basement when they took over the stock of some gone-out-of-business store elsewhere in the country.

Quad Linda likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Number me among those who miss Hegewisch Records. They had three locations I believe. The one in Cal City, one in Merriville, IN not far from my parents' place and another one in a suburb I seldom went to but did visit (the store) once. The people who ran them generally knew their stuff. I miss being able to walk into a store and asking the clerk questions about music and getting answers. (Though JRM still does that very well.)

Quad Linda and Front Row like this.
  7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Many pictures of Beverly Records here:
    http://www.anthonybarlich.com/2012/01/beverly-records/

They're pretty new (Mavis Staple's latest is very visible), but the place is so timeless it doesn't matter.

Trying to recall the name of the owner who passed away some time back. George was his first name. Anybody help me out with the last name?

Quad Linda likes this.
  8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

For those of us who remember the old Grand Ave store:
    [​IMG]

Quad Linda likes this.
  9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

On Facebook, search for Hegewisch Records Chicago. I just found a pretty good group there with lots of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quad Linda and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

A Google image search for Rose Records Chicago sure gets you a lot of pictures of Derrick Rose, doesn't it?

I went there once, in 1974. Haven't seen anything like it since. I spent a fortune (for a poor 17 year old), and was heartbroken at the records I had to leave behind. One of the great memories of my youth.

Quad Linda likes this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I've mentioned it here before but when I was in high school there was a record store named Angel Records on Milwaukee Ave. across the street from the Portage Theater.

Even in the late 60's they had a listening area with turntables.

Anyway, I have a distinct memory of being there after school one day and seeing that they still had Elvis's original EP's in their wood browers bins. You know, the red covered one's with a black and white picture of Elvis performing, moving like his pants were on fire ? There were a half a dozen different ones but I passed on them all in favor of current 45's of which I bought six at one time, making myself feel extremely guilty. That was around six bucks, a lot of money for one days worth of 45's for a high school kid.

I wish I could set the way back machine and scoop up those Elvis EP's though.

Quad Linda likes this.
  12. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I lived in the south suburbs: during the 80s, Discount Record and Tapes had a few locations. They use to have great late night sale events. I think all the stores are closed, now.

Did a quick search and couldn't come up with any pictures.

Quad Linda likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2.2 miles from the home I was born into. Very cool.

14. Ok, I was able to find a pic with Uncle Albert's in it... it's the two-story building on the the corner with the orange car in front of it (corner of Davis and Arlington Heights Road):

Attached Files:

Quad Linda and Monasmee like this.
  15. Myke

16. Awesome Myke - looks like an interesting show, I'll watch it and try to figure it out!

17. Myke

It's great ! I shared with my 28 year old son.

18. Success, Myke! In the second clip you provided, the show's host is standing in front of the auto body shop that was formerly The Cellar. Luckily, the auto body shop's phone number is clearly visible on the store front so a quick Google search and up pops 407 N. Salem. I always heard The Cellar was near the Arlington Heights Post Office and this confirms it.

Quad Linda likes this.
  19. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I drove there 2 twice from middle Indiana back when I was in university just to buy some Zeppelin boots. I still have them :D

20. Myke

Glad to hear it ! :cheers: All these threads, and the music I've listened to this week, has taken me back 40 years to Gladstone Park, and later Albany at Irving Park Road...1958-1972.

21. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Is that the (sometime) musician Chris Ligon?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes

23. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:righton:

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I lived near Belmont Harbor in Chicago during the mid '70's. I bought quite a few records from a couple of shops on N. Clark near Belmont back then, Don't remember the names though and it looks like they may be gone... Nice memories.

25. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

Crow's Nest wasn't much for vinyl but for CD's and DVD's they were unbeatable.

Damn I miss that Crest Hill store.

Quad Linda likes this.