Good Deals, Vinyl, Urban Outfitters

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by bilgewater, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some vinyl records just marked down today at Urban Outfitters:

Tom Waits, BAD AS ME (180g; full-size 16 pp booklet; cd of album)
    was $26, is now $10

Wilco, THE WHOLE LOVE (2 180g lps, lyrics/poster, cd of album)
    was $33, is now $10

also saw some artists I don't know in $10 sale box. Are they excellent?
    Laura Marling
    Neon Indian
    Wildflag (as good as Sleater-Kinney at their best?)

Get 'em while they're hot--and please share any big deals w yr fellow forumites...
    Yeah, that vinyl revival ain't as big as this retailer had hoped. Pressings were too big, I guess...

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That's a good deal on the Wilco.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

In-store or online?

4. bilgewater

Oh I saw these in store. I just checked online and the only vinyl album on sale is Beyonce's B-Day (2xlp). That said, I severely doubt this store makes independent choices on sales. So I guess it's at your local store while supplies last.

5. fini

fini Forum Resident

Not seeing a sale online, so must be in the store.

6. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Wild Flag is pretty good may have to go get that one

7. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

I didn't see any of these titles, or anything else marked down, at the downtown Chicago location. I might try Milwaukee Ave tonight.

8. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

Well, I went to a few UO stores today (they all happen to be relatively close to each other).

One store had the Wilco and Waits albums, but neither were marked down.

The other stores had a handful of the other titles the OP listed, as well as some others marked down.

I guess it varies by store. really wanted the Wilco... oh well.

9. bilgewater

Oh, shoot. I figured it was a nation-wide sale. I didn't know that local stores had discretion on sale items to reduce inventory. The "hipster" clothes horses who work there don't look like the independent-thinking types.

10. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

Was this in the Ann Arbor store? I've seen some dirt-cheap records in there, which is odd, since Ann Arbor has more record collectors per capita than anywhere else in the Midwest, if not the world.

11. bilgewater

Ann Arbor? Never heard of it.

12. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

well, I found Cults - s/t for $9.99 today, at the 5th and final Chicago-area store on my quest to find something decent on clearance from them. It's nowhere near as exciting as if it would have been Wilco for $10, but it was a small personal victory to finally find something :)

13. bilgewater

Well, as it turns out the Wilco 2xLP I got for $9.99 was fatally flawed. Sides three and four were totally f-ed up. I've never seen anything worse. It was like both sides got stuck under some dime-stamping machine. Full of coin-sized marks and noisy as hell throughout. What a disappointment.

To think that someone paid $30+ dollars for that kind of crap. It really reminds me again of why CDs were such a step forward in terms of predictably good sound.

And the Neon Indian LP has a few good tracks, but it does sound pretty thin and with a wee case of digitalis.

14. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

wilco

Darn I haven't checked my wilco vinyl yet - did u have any trouble returning it ?

15. MikeyTags

MikeyTags Forum Resident

yeah, my Cults inner sleeve was crumpled in one corner, and there's a nice scratch on the front outer cover i didn't notice at first. But the record plays fine, so it wasn't a bad deal for $10. It will make me think twice about ever buying from them again, though.

16. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

The UO store on 5th Avenue in NYC has had a few LP's discounted to $10, but no real rhyme or reason why. Some with donged corners, some were fine. Right now, nothing marked down at all.

17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The Chicago store on Diversey Prkwy had some Pink Floyd DSOM "open" LPs for $9.95. A few others. No Wilco.

18. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

wilco

played the 4 sides last night and it is all fine. :wave:

19. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

FYI, I stopped by UO yesterday and found a few more LP's on sale. Picked up Lou Reed "Transformer'; Foo Fighters 'The Colour and the Shape' and Patty Smith 'Horses' for $10 each. There were a couple more on sale and a few for $5 but I didn't recognize any of them. From previous experience, the slow-moving LPs seem to the ones on sale. The last time I visited, I found a Tom Waits LP on sale and the associate found a couple more in the back that looked like they hadn't been put out yet. No discount sticker but she sold them to me for $10 as well.

20. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

It would be great if people could keep updating this thread as sometimes certain locations don't mark their vinyl down and then when the sale ends it's no longer on sale. Today I got for $5 ($9.99 plus 50% off):
    Built to Spill - There is no Enemy
    Built to Spill - You in Reverse
    Julia Holter - Loud City Song
    Girls Soundtrack (Don't laugh)

Some other titles I noticed but didn't pick up or have recently been on sale:
    George Thorogood And The Destroyers
    Grateful Dead - First album
    Mazzy Star - latest album
    The Blow
    Curren$y
    JJ Doom

21. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Because of another UO Vinyl Sale Thread I stopped in at the store on Broadway between Houston and Bleecker yesterday and grabbed:

Laurel Halo
    Jesus & Mary Chain Psychocandy
    Elliott Smith XO
    Chuck Berry After School
    Pixies Come on Pilgrim
    George Harrison (the album released in conjunction w the documentary)
    Todd Rundgren Hermit
    Teen In Limbo
    Flaming Lips Terror

All were $9.99!

igbee likes this.
  22. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

I'm going to get them to scan some of these titles to see if they are on sale. Definitely not marked, but I"m in Toronto so different titles could be marked down.

In the past I have purchased a Walkmen album by just taking it up to see if it was on sale. They kinda hate when I do that though.

23. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Thanks to this hot tip I got for $5:
    Jesus & Mary Chain Psychocandy
    Pixies Come on Pilgrim
    Flaming Lips Terror (this one lists for $42.98!)

24. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Was that particular store running a 50% off sale? Would have loved that at the NYC store.

25. bilgewater

The hotter items in the $10 sale rack at the local UO were damaged LPs (Mc5, Mazzy Star, etc). Usually a corner was mashed up with colored cover destroyed. OR they were new artists who I am embarrassed to say I haven't heard of like Julia Holter. Will need to research further! That said, nothing really popular was in the sale rack: or someone snatched em up quik!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.