Ikea's New HDTV Line - Uppleva

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

"...and all this with just one remote control!" :laugh:

3. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I think Bose just pooped a little...

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

We don't have to assemble the TV, right?

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

2.1 sound sorry that won't do!

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Im in, assuming I will save 60% from buying a 'regular' HDTV

7. No but you have to spend an hour wandering around the store with it as you desperately search for a cashier.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Jeez, they all but scream "the TV isn't important at all, but our trendy furniture is."

It's a sure bet they'll include the cheapest flatscreen (albeit with competitive "hi-def" specs) they can find with this "entertainment center."

I have never gotten the appeal of their white-n-silver-n-blonde-wood crate furniture. But judging from all the stores and giant catalog, mine is a minority opinion.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Looks good to me. What I want in a hifi system is not what I want in a Telly - but everything will depend on the price.

10. Parhelion

Parhelion Forum Resident

Years ago, Ikea's stuff was only suitable for places like university dorms, where you just dumped it at the end of the year. It was cheap particle board stuff which just didn't last.

I recently had a look at their kitchen stuff, including hardware with a plumber friend. He couldn't believe the warranties on their faucets, etc. And I couldn't see much difference between their cabinets and custom stuff. Now, as in any prefab stuff, it only works if it is what you are looking for, but if there's a match, the prices are certainly better.

I have a couple of small pieces here and there, so would not consider myself a really big IKEA fan, but I don't discount them the way I used to. So with this new line, I'll make a point of having a look when it becomes available.

11. LeeS

I just bought a Galant desk for my home office and I really like it. Very well made too.

I have several Billy bookcases for CDs and Expedit units for LPs. No problems at all after several years.

12. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Perhaps ....
    Do they include a soldering iron ?
    I think Apple might have a more fragrant solution
    Ikea and fidelity ?

13. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Honestly, I wish I could be happy with something like that. I bet they do well with that.

14. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I share your sentiment. :agree:
    I think it's a good marketing tactic for the cookie cutter furniture crowd.

Steve

15. LeeS

How do you know that the sound quality or TV quality will be poor?

Wouldn't it be best to see what they can do first?

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm sure they'll have optional rear speakers to complete a 5.1 setup. Plus, of course, you'll be able to integrate your own amplifier anyway.

17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Largely by way of the spin in that article or infomercial or whatever that was.

They all but insisted that the TV or gadgetry was unimportant compared to the wonderful aesthetic environment that IKEA could fix you up with. If that wasn't an IKEA-supplied press-release-sales-blurb, I'd be very surprised.

I'm sure that thing has a credible market, but I doubt they'll go far out of their way for good audio or video quality. They need to sell to a price point, and home furnishings are more important to most.

18. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I was referring to the furniture. I have no idea what electronics they will be stuffing into it.

Steve

19. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

We've purchased quite a few items of furniture & other things for our home at Ikea over the years. But they never seemed to get media furniture right, IMO. Their shelf spacing was never large enough for most HT components to actually fit inside, with room for airflow, cable runs, etc. I do have an old "media table" from them that had casters on it (a total blessing when trying to get behind to twiddle around w/ your components) and 3 compartments where full size pieces would fit. So of course they discontinued it...:edthumbs:

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

ANYTHING has got to sound better than the built-in speakers in the typical flatscreen. So Ikea's system doesn't need to be of audiophile quality.

Bose's VideoWave flatscreen costs $5K, so unless the Ikea system - which I bet will not cost anywhere near 5,000 bucks - sounds like total dog poo, I agree with you.

21. LeeS

Plenty of audio tech in Sweden so I would not rule anything out yet. I am not saying it will impress us jaded audiophiles but it might be decent for the money. Could be perfect for that person with their first job out of school.

I also admit to finding it refreshing to seeing some more emphasis on design, furniture integration, and overall customer viewpoint. I bet it does well if the price is decent.

My brother has an elaborate 5.1 system at his house and I've been helping him upgrade. It's a big mess of wires in a closet behind the home theater room. You have to be a contortionist to move some wires.

The CE industry has generally sucked at creating a user friendly experience. Why not let a design oriented company like Ikea take a shot at it.

Of course, I suspect Apple may soon change the TV world in similar fashion with Siri, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.