Madonna HDTracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terry, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone taken the True Blue plunge? Very curious, oh, so curious.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Very cautious about this one, very happy with the mac titles , wonder why they
    started with this particular title ?

3. Terry

And this title is no longer on Spotify. Hmmm.

4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

True Blue was a 96khz digital source? I figured that, given the time period, it was likely 44khz sourced. I thought I heard that LAV and later were all digitally mastered.

Need to go back to my vinyl and Spek it. ;)

5. c-eling

My old TB cd is pretty destroyed so for ***** and turds probably grab this tomorrow

6. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

It sounds ok. Much better than the remaster from 2001. The EQ is similar to the old unremastered CD.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe they are trying to expand beyond dinosaur rock?

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

"La Isla Bonita" is one of my go-to demo tracks, still after all these years, but it's the Immaculate version. I use it because of the mostrously wide soundstage. Q-Sound at its best.

But I digress. Will likely pick this up sooner or later depending on a few more reviews. Not a blind buy for me.

9. Grant

I am 99.9% certain "True Blue" is an analog, 30 i.p.s. Dolby SR analog recording. In 1986, I was all into that album.

What they most likely did was transfer the analog master to 24-bit/192kHz, just like with hundreds of other albums on HD Tracks.

She went back to digital for "Like A Prayer, though.

10. Thurenity

My old needle drop was with my old setup, so it's useless for a Spek comparison - I'd need to re-drop it to 24/96.

Might explain the SQ because that 80's vinyl sounds really good to these ears. Might also explain why they picked TB if this one was all analog.

11. c-eling

I meant with true blue and not with s/t

12. Grant

I don't know the resolution of the samples on HD Tracks, but the 96kHz/24-bit version sounds very, very close to my original 1986 CD.

13. Grant

I never cared for the S/T album. I want to see them put up "Like A Virgin", which I think they will soon.

14. Thurenity

I actually did a needle drop of my LAV LP just last month, and Spek is telling me that the its likely 44khz sourced (very clear hard stop at ~20khz). If they add LAV in HDTracks, should be interesting to see what the sample rates will be.

15. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

True Blue is her biggest selling studio album and has sold a lot more than Madonna.

16. Grant

Well, of course it's a from a 44.1 source! It's well advertised and known that it's a 16-bit/44.1 digital recording "from start to finish". The liner notes even tell you that! I don't need a vinyl rip analysis to prove that. But, I guess you never owned the original CD.

If they put it up on HD Tracks, it will likely be upped to hi-rez, like they did with Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms".

But, back to "True Blue". I have decided that I can live with the original CD. It sounds great. If I ever find some money to burn, maybe i'll download the 96k version just to have it. Just because something comes out in hi-rez on HDTracks doesn't automatically mean it's going to sound superior.

17. Grant

I'm not saying I dislike the first album. I like the three hits from it, but the overall album does not give me a satisfied listening experience. Even with "True Blue", I usually skip the very popular song "La Isla Bonita".

18. Thurenity

I actually do have the original CD, but my liner notes are buried somewhere post-flood. Now you're going to make me go search. ;) EDIT: Says digital,but not the actual sample rate. I'm assuming likely 16/44, but possibly 24/44? Probably more the former, given the time period?

I haven't seen evidence of HDTracks doing recent upsamples, ie. Achtung Baby comes to mind (24/44). So if they do upsample on LAV, they might get some flak for that.

19. Grant

Well, albums like "Brothers In Arms" was recorded around the same time as Live A Virgin", and they were both recorded with state of the art 16-bit digital technology at the time, as producer Nile Rodgers owned among the first Sony DASH machines and digital mixing boards ever made. LAV was a 24-track digital recording. Who knows what they did for the CD remaster.

20. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Like A Virgin is a 44.1/16 bit multi-track recording, mixed down to 44.1/14 bit digital, so the master tape is not even 16 bit.

21. Grant

Not technically, no. But, it is a 16-bit/44.1 master.

22. Terry

So no one has downloaded this. Take the arguments about anything other than the title of this thread elsewhere.

23. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The mix-down master used back in 1984 was 44.1/14 bit, I don't know if they remixed it for the 2001 remaster, I personally don't think so.

24. svafo

svafo Forum Resident

I downloaded the 24/96 yesterday and I have only listened through headphones so far. I can only compare to my Immaculate Collection which obviously sounds different because of the "Q-sound" process. The EQ is different also.The HDtracks seems more flat/neutral.
    The loudness level seems to be roughly the same on both (Immaculate is DR12). I haven't measured the HDtracks but it doesn't sound compressed at all -it sounds really good. I will know more about exactly how good when I get my NAD C390DD next week:)

25. Grant

It was 16-bit.

No, the remaster was not remixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.