Any online stores that still have brand new Technics SL-1200 mkII turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone know if any online stores that still cary brand new sl-1200 turntables? I would like to purchase a brand new one...

2. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

I understand Guitar Center has some in stores, maybe not online. Have you checked B&H Photo? I got my last one from them.

3. Ispin

Ispin Member

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be brand new? New ones are exorbitantly priced now, why not just get a used one?

6. HiFiGuy528

I remember paying only $499 for a new one. I should have bought a bunch as an investment.

7. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

8. motorcitydave

Yeah, I know what you mean!

9. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident Thread Starter

Because, all I can find are 1200s used by djs that are in pretty bad shape. Im amazed , the prices are ridiculously high for a new one, I guess ill try to keep an eye out for a deal or one used in nice shape...

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

At this point I'd look at the Audio Technica knock-off, AT120 I think? Anyway, there is a store in town that uses them for listening stations and they look and sound pretty good, comparable to 1200's but I think you can get a new one for $300 or so. Not a bad deal.

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

There is NO comparison between the AT and the Technics. I have owned both. The Technics is head and shoulders better than the AT!

To the OP: you might consider buying a refurbished used SL-1200 from www.kabusa.com. Kevin knows these machines inside and out, and his approach is with the audiophile's interests in mind. He also has some terrific upgrades available too.

12. ChrisWiggles

I would be patient. They go on ebay all the time for around $300-500 in good condition.

That's the good thing about 1200s is that they are so plentiful, I can't see anyone having too much difficulty finding one in fine shape. And they're pretty indestructible.

I've seen more than one 1200 go flying across the floor and knocked off tables without any trouble at all. As long as the tonearm is in good shape, it's pretty hard to break one.

And all the important parts are basically identical so aside from age, the various iterations should all perform equally unless they've been seriously abused or something.

I got mine (an MK5) from a DJ a couple years ago for $400 locally, and it's great! :edthumbs:

I think if you keep an eye on ebay and hunt around locally, you should be able to find one in good shape in short order. :righton:

Another idea would be to pick up one of the modded 1200s from KAB. I have absolutely no experience or opinion on them, but they sound like they know what they're doing.

The last idea would be to pick up the Audio Technica knock-off:
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG

I don't know how identical it is, or how it performs compared to a 'real' 1200, but I can't imagine a new 1200 is a thousand dollars better...

Just thoughts and ideas! :)

13. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

NO, no no no no. The AT isn't quite junk, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Technics. At $300... spring for the Technics.

14. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The Origin Live is a very nice deck. Takes care of most of the 1200's foibles and is reasonably priced.

15. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

16. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

17. ChrisWiggles

The Stantons are junk.

18. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Chris, could you elaborate on that? As mentioned, I've never used one, but I've been curious about them, especially after some of the favorable press I'd seen.

What are the flaws of the units? Build quality, reliability, etc?

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

STR8 on Stanton turntables means the DJ straight tonearm for scratching.

20. ChrisWiggles

I partially retract my comment. I bought a Stanton direct-drive unit that looked halfway like a technics 1200 knock-off several years ago. It was a direct drive, I got it for my grandmother since she had some old records she wanted to play. Looks like this is a different unit with a more legit tonearm assembly. I don't think you could adjust the tonearm height on the one I got, I can't remember. I think I also got confused with a Gemini table I messed around with once, which was definitely cheesy. But the Stanton I got was like $200 at the time. I think my parents have it in a closet somewhere, but otherwise I don't have any experience with it.

So basically, disregard my opinion, because I think I'm just confusing tables in my brain. Confusion is par for the course for me! :wave:

21. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

:laugh: No worries. I can relate to confusion. It accompanies wherever I go. :)

I was just hoping to get some feedback on them since Technics prices have skyrocketed, and these seem like they would be a good alternative. But, I've never talked to anyone who uses one...since their Technics 1200s are still working and they don't have to consider replacements yet.

22. motorcitydave

So Wiggles, the truth comes out! :D

23. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

So, did the price of the Technics go from $500 to $1200 because: A) They don't make them anymore, so the remaining new units have gone up in price because of their scarcity; or, B) They do still make them, but they decided to go ahead making them only with a large price increase that made making them worthwhile?

24. HiFiGuy528

If you have to buy non-Technics, get Vastex.

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

"A", I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.