Echo & The Bunnymen's "Killing Moon"...in a CAR COMMERCIAL?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Yes. Just saw it a few minutes ago (didn't search for the 'obscure-songs-in-commercials thread')
    It was for Audi, and the theme of the commercial was that the headlights are so bright.... they can kill VAMPIRES!..... ugh!

By the way, I don't think the song was really that much of a 'hit' in the US, was it?

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

One of my favorite 80's tunes, I don't think they had any real hits here. Bring On the Dancing Horses and their cover of People are Strange did get some airplay.

3. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

"Lips Like Sugar" received some MTV airplay in 1987...

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:righton: Forgot about that one, still gets play on Sirius XM First Wave.

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Everyone and their Mom knows "Killing Moon" because of Donnie Darko.

vonwegen and nbakid2000 like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Who knows, maybe this ad gig will do for their career what the "Pink Moon" placement in the old Volkswagen ad did for Nick Drake!

Great group....lots of wonderful tunes in their catalog, though my fave remains the frenzied live version of "Crocodiles" on the SHINE SO HARD EP (first heard it back in the early days of MTV!).

[​IMG]

Some may also know this tune from its appearance in the excellent film GROSSE POINTE BLANK.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

:righton:

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Oh, yeah. So.... nobody else saw the commercial?

9. nbakid2000

I've seen the commercial tons of times. It's hilarious. I love the way they spoof Twilight with the guy scurrying up the tree.

10. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

College radio / MTV, tmk. And of course Donnie Darko as mentioned.

They're trying to tap the 35 to 50 market. :)

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  11. I've seen the commercial. Never seen Donnie Darko.

12. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Onward crass commercialization. I knew the end was nigh the first time I heard a Clash song in an advert.

GuyS. and margaritatoldtom like this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Sucks doesn't it? "Killing Moon" is a masterpiece and I hate the idea of it being used for a commercial.

14. nbakid2000

Why? It's promotion. Doesn't every band want promotion?

Case in point: The Pogues' "If I Should Fall From the Grace of God" was used in a car commercial. I hadn't listened to the Pogues for at least a few of years. The song jolted the Pogues into my consciousness and I went and looked up the song and album and streamed it at least a few times (the entire album). They made money on it twice - once from the car commercial, at least a few times from me.

From the YouTube comments on the "If I Should Fall" video:

15. It was a lot more bizarre when another "Moon" song, namely Nick Drake's "Pink Moon", ended up in a car commercial.

Anyway: "The Killing Moon" got some radio and video airplay up here at the time IIRC - I wasn't too much of a Bunnymen fan at the time, and the song was certainly very familiar to me long before Donnie Darko. The Ocean Rain LP scraped the Top 40, too.

16. LambertHoroscope

LambertHoroscope Forum Resident

The one that got me was the Velvet Underground's "Venus In Furs"!

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It's product placement, nothing wrong with it at all if it gets the music out there for people to hear and the musicians make some cash. It's not like radio is playing any of that stuff.

18. Scott57

Scott57 Forum Resident

The whole purpose was to draw your attention.

It did.

19. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I think that, if done well, commercial placement is fine.

An example where it's not done well, you ask? The Sunkist "Good Vibrations" commerical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndJDH4LSV8

This is an example when the song actually becomes a jingle, and that's not a good thing. I was exposed to the BB song as a jingle before hearing the actual song and it took a long time to get the jingle version out of my head.

A commercial really isn't much different than a placement on a TV show -- as long as it's not a cover / jingle.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They should have used Pavement's cover of "Killing Moon." Then I would of (sic) done a double-take.

21. redraiderak

redraiderak Forum Resident

In the early 90's the intro to "killing moon" was used a TON on mtv's real world (season 2) I think. It took me like a year after that before I could listen to it again.

Oddly enough I was just listening to Ocean Rain (the new mfsl) this morning.

22. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

23. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

If you think Ian McCulloch and Will Sergeant are guiding this strategy from their huge mansions then you are mistaken. They have mortgages to pay and families to support like anybody else. When people like Rod Stewart do it, it is far less justified.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

hey streaming don't pay the bills you know? what are they supposed to do to make a buck??

its so funny...its fine for 1 million plays on pandora to result in $20 pay for the artist but the minute they sell their song for a commercial its like THE HORROR! they should work for free!

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

lets all agree though: what a great song no?

good lord...talk about atmosphere...

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.