Earache Records: Vinyl reissues "simply come from the CD"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spirit Crusher, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident Thread Starter

Earache founder Digby Pearson answers questions:
    http://askearache.blogspot.com/2011/08/where-does-audio-for-earaches-vinyl-lp.html#links

This next one makes so crazy I think I will have to commit myself:

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Also known as "files"...that's awesomeness. With a band as important as Morbid Angel one would think they'd try a little harder. They are underestimating how anal metalheads can be.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Note that he uses the term "vinyls."

4. Spirit Crusher

Exactly - Digby doesn't have a clue. Sure, most buyers of this vinyl wouldn't even be able to play it, or play it on something like a Crosley, but there are many more who are discerning, and even if they don't have a turntable, I think would be rather disappointed to learn this! Oh boy, I'm spiralling, spiralling!

But, really, though, how unusual is this mindset?

Edit 2: I just bought straight from them Morbid Angel - Formulas 2011 vinyl, so apparently that will be utterly superfluous. @#$ you very much, Digby.

5. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Why bother -- what a missed opportunity. Obviously this guy has no clue.

Hope he is stuck with a warehouse of "vinyls" that go unsold....

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for this bit of news nevertheless.

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

every single vinyl listening metal-head I'm friends with prides themselves on having the 'original' vinyl pressing. that's just what we do :shrug:

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

This is true...

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What an idiot! But at least he is honest....

10. Spirit Crusher

Uff! So no wonder those things are hard to get at anywhere near affordable prices! Well, I appreciate Digby's honesty, now I know to avoid any Earache re-issues, except the "FDR" Full Dynamic Range Scum and FETO Napalm Death, which intrigues me.

11. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Yes, at least they're up front about it.

12. I don't understand the complaints about Earaches "vinyls".

With CDs you can get brickwalling and digital sterility. With "vinyls" you can get scratches, skips and inconvenience.

But only with "vinyls" from CDs can you get all of these in one inconvenient package.

13. I find it kind of ironic that they'd go back to the tapes for Scum - I mean, relative to Morbid Angel and the like, there's a lot less to get lost sonically from a sub-optimal treatment of that album.

14. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

glad i bought them back in the day....

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Appropriate name for the label, it seems.

16. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Well, in there is a relevant clue...I can't imagine that it's easy to find a place to cut a vinyl master from PCM betamax tapes. Not that it excuses how they did it...but I think it is an ongoing problem with groups that recorded from the mid 80s onward...

I know the band I was in tracked to analog tape but mixed to digital which was on a standard VCR tape...

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

18. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Useful info ... I was thinking of getting the Morbid Angel vinyl re-issues but not now ... I will just look out for some good original vinyl pressings.

19. Spirit Crusher

In his post, Digby responded "they weren't advertised as being from original analog tapes or audiophile in any way" so therefore we should know better. Sigh.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Also note the name of the label is "Earache". I think that pretty much sums up the quality to be expected.

21. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

That's just crazy thinking , if this is indeed the case there is ZERO reason to buy the vinyl , i can buy a crappy sounding cd for much les & get near the same sound .
    VERY surprising they would do this , what a bummer .....

22. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The funny thing is Digby (and Earache itself) started at the tail end of the vinyl era, so it should not be a complex issue...other than being lazy and saying "we don't want to track down the masters, have them flown to England and re-cut, etc. for an edition of 1000 LPs"

23. Spirit Crusher

From what he's posted on that blog, it's an issue of dealing with the old tapes (he complained about how fussy they are, baking, etc); I imagine dealing with Betamax would be easier. Plus in Europe, he pointed out that GZ does most of the pressing there, and can they handle analogue tape, and actually do mastering in-house? So in fairness it could be cost/benefit, but they still charge a fair bit of money for the vinyl re-issues. If he is so afraid that a reissue would sound so different (he did say they tried that with Altars of Madness, but abandoned it), apparently he is unaware what experienced cutting/mastering engineers do. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.