High end turntables in tv shows and the movies

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James_S888, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was watching Californication series 4 last night and there were several very obvious views in Hank Moodys home of an impressive rack of gear, with an Avid turntable at the top.
    You know it's an Avid, because the perspex cover has a big "AVID" written on it.
    Then there is one heavy duty looking amp there.

Then several shots of Hank asleep, filmed over the top of the turntable, with a record on it, rumbling away in the deadwax

Pretty cool.
    Particularly like Avid is not your run of the mill turntable, I think they go for 10 or 15K plus.

How many actors and producers are closet or not so closet vinyl addicts???

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Senior Member

The 1976 Rainer Werner Fassbinder movie Chinese Roulette (Chinesisches Roulette) was filmed in the house of Fassbinder's regular soundman (whose name escapes me), and features an INCREDIBLE looking system in a piece of transparent furniture. In contrast, earlier on in the film the child of the film plays Kraftwerk's Radioactivität on her crappy record player!

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Clockwork Orange springs to mind.

The Mitchell Transcriptor Turntable, Bang & Olufsen Beolab 5000 Amplifier and several other goodies.

4. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

The Avid table on Californication was obviously a paid placement ad...a good one at that! I hit up their website after the episode to check out their lineup :)

5. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

possibly only of import to english posters..but inspector morse had a lovely linn lp12....sadly little else was shown with regard to amplifiers/speakers etc..

Kristofa, Gasman1003 and Pancat like this.
  6. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

That Sota turntable on House drove me crazy — he never played it!

Gasman1003 likes this.
  8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So did I
    And was favourably impressed

Good product placement. I think though a lot of actors and producers are real vinyl fans

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The last one I saw prominently placed was in the film "The Mechanic".

What's nice about that one is how the turntable unexpectedly figures into the plot!

10. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Jason Statham has an audiophile TT in The Mechanic. He dusts off a record in a certain scene.

coltlacey1 and Gasman1003 like this.
  11. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Never say never:

http://youtu.be/yM1ieA07osQ

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Something like that is generally not paid, but usually either comped or rented depending on the duration of time it is used for...depends on the prop.

But yes, many Hollywood types are vinyl fans. Sold a record to Patricia Arquette a couple years ago!

13. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

kind of in the same ball park is the tnt network show-suits. the main lawyer charactor has an office with a wall of 1000+ lps

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Just going by memory I'm pretty sure either Tomb Raider 1 or 2 featured a Rega P3.

15. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

The "average" turntable is very popular in musicvideos these days:

The Me in You "Girl in Armour": Video

Regina Spektor "Don't Leave Me": Video

Geppetto & the Whales "Juno": Video

First Aid Kit: "Blue": Video

Rumer "Am I Forgiven": Am I Forgiven

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Ummm....what are his headphones plugged into???

Attached Files:

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

There's an incredibly gorgeous turntable in Summer Glau's office on 'Dollhouse'.

Seeing as how her character only had one working arm, I can only assume she must have had one of her assistants operating it.

18. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

Robert Redford's uber-rich guy character owned an impressive (and expensive looking) turntable in "Indecent Proposal," if I remember correctly.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Gasman1003 likes this.
  20. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

In this case the scene started with the camera zoomed in on the deck with the brand clearly displayed, and the deck was featured in several scenes in two episodes. Agreed, it could be a prop but I'm going to say in this case it was a paid ad... especially since it "magically" shows up in Hank's living room for these two episodes. It was non-existent in the episodes leading up to it.

TV shows (and movies and video games) are just painted with paid advertisements these days. My wife is better than spotting them than me...scenes are choreographed all the time to predominantly display sunglasses, shoes and other wardrobe an actor is wearing.

I read an article about "free" product placement in shows. Although not officially a sponsor, companies like Beam (which owns the Canadian Club whiskey brand) went out of their way to supply both Mad Men & Boardwalk Empire with "period correct" bottles and labeling for those shows.

Producers have to make money somehow in these days of "free" downloading...

21. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I believe it was an Oracle. [Disclaimer: never seen the film, just read about it.]

22. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Gene Hackman's character had a pretty fancy looking sound system in The Conversation. No idea what make it was, but I think it was a mono tube-type dealy.

He was shown playing tenor sax along to some jazz records at one point.

dharmabumstead and Gasman1003 like this.
  23. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

...and here's a still of the turntable from The Conversation. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Gasman1003 likes this.
  24. johnnyv

johnnyv Forum Resident

There's a character named Harvey Specter who is a high-powered lawyer on "Suits" on USA that has large vinyl LP collection in his office and he has a sound system with a(probably) exotic turntable, but I don't know the brand.

25. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.