The Who: Odds and Sods deluxe remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

?Hello all, done a search with zero results. What is the forums opinion of the sound quality of this Who 'Odds & Sods' remaster ?

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There's lots of thread that discuss this. Here's one.

To summarize, it's lousy. Lots of noise reduction, lots of digital compression.

I should note that although John Astley receives some very harsh criticism in the above thread, he deserves commendation for significantly altering his mastering style in recent years. He now largely eschews compression and noise reduction and takes a much more "hands off" approach. The Japan-only SHM release of Odds and Sods which he mastered last year is substantially better, and would be the recommended version of this title, unless you are a completist who needs the remixes on the 1998 CD.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The 90's version? It's loud. I like the mixes and the tones are good (bass, treble, etc), but it is very loud. I would like to see a decent deluxe treatment for the Who that could span 2 or 3 cd's of all the non-LP tracks... in good fidelity.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've still got my old Track/MCA LP from 1974 and my MCA CD from the '80s. I can't stand what they did to the running order in '98.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Absolutely. A 4CD box set would be cool.

6. Maidenpriest

How do you search The Who here on SHTV because I get zero results? :(

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree: The original LP sequencing was really good. The remastered/jumbled CD version with all the bonus material loses that...

8. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Or with a thread like this, you can search by album title rather than the band's name.

10. Maidenpriest

But it ain't Sgt Pepper so wouldn't a collection of rarities be better in the order they were released?

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I would prefer to have a live four CDm retrospect of the band :D

12. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

No reason Pete can't make this the next deluxe Who reissue. Though I'd love to hear any of the other studio albums given the same treatment. But, a 4 cd set of Odds N Sods would be a wonderful thing to have.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Some people are attached to the original running order due to having listened to it that way for years, I would imagine. I agree with you though... I prefer compilation albums to be in chronological order.

The 1998 remaster has the songs in (mostly) chronological order, with the exception of the last four tracks which were mistakenly thought to be 1974 recordings by the compilers, so they were erroneously put at the end rather than where they should have gone in sequence. The 1998 remaster also has mostly 90's-era remixes.

The 2011 Japanese SHM remaster has the 11 tracks from the original album in their original sequence, and then the bonus tracks are all in (mostly) chronological order (the exception being "Water" which incorrectly appears as the last track on the CD). It features mostly vintage mixes where available. It would be nice if this version got a US release as the mastering is much better than the 1998 version.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

^
    Agreed. This needs a domestic release.

15. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Let's see, San Francisco '71 complete, Philly '73 complete, and Swansea '76 complete would fill up 4 discs quite nicely.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I've never heard the CD versions of "Odds and Sods", but I've had the LP since it was first released. I never did like the sequencing of the album, but I'm not sure it could be improved. I like most or all the individual songs, but they just don't hang together very well. In this case, I'd probably be just as happy with a chronological running order.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In particular I think the three (or four, on the remaster) songs from the aborted 1970 EP sound best when listened to together, rather than scattered over the course of the record. Back in the old days I made myself a 2-cassette compilation that rearranged all the tracks from my LPs of Meaty Beaty, Rarities 1 and 2, and Odds and Sods into chronological order, and I preferred listening to them that way. Still do.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I've got a tape of an old British radio show from 1974 (called "Your Mother Wouldn't Like It" with host Nicky Horne) and Townshend is the studio guest and he goes through and previews in detail and plays each song from the Odds & Sods album (as well as previewing some live tracks from Charlton '74 in stereo that he had just mixed, as well as taking phone calls from the fans and John Entwistle even calls in!) - it was an awesome radio show from back in the day.

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I've heard the story that JAE missed attending the show,so he phoned in.
    but never heard what question he asked Pete,or the comment he made.
    What did he ask?

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Does anyone have a link to Japan SHM version to buy? Thanks...

21. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

23. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Apparently Entwistle was supposed to be on the show too, but couldn't make it, so he apologizes for not being there and Horne and Townshend tease him about all of the "drinks" he's missing out on there in the studio, then Entwistle asks Townshend what time is he going over Roger's "gaff" on Sunday (not sure what he meant by "gaff"), but Pete says "let's make it 2:00, eh?", so apparently The Who members had sone sort of get together to go to. Most of the fan's questions were about the Charlton show and Quadrophenia.

24. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

I remember sitting in my bedroom listening to that show.

"Gaff" is a slang word in the UK for the place where someone lives. "Roger's gaff" means Roger's house.

25. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Thanks! I figured that's probably what "gaff" meant in that context. I bet you must have listened to the Charlton '74 fm stereo broadcast as well on the "Rockpile" radio show with Nicky Horne. What's interesting is that Townshend played the live version of "Baba O'Riley" on the Odds & Sods radio show, but did not include "Baba" on the tape he sent to Capital Radio for the more complete airing of the Charlton show. I always found it odd that the bootlegs for Charlton '74 were all in mono when the show was actually broadcast in lovely fm stereo (which I fortunately have a tape of as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.