Gonna get the Dr. Dre Beats MIXR headphones to see how..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

Lots of talk, good & bad about Beats headphones. I'm gonna buy one to try. I like the good looks of the MIXR headphones. I'm gonna see how good or bad it really is compared to ones in my collection. Anyone here has a Beats headphone?

[​IMG]

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

ive listened to music on them a few times. not enough midrange, too much low/mid-bass, and too much top if I recall correctly

3. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

They definitely have that "smiley face" EQ curve. Lotsa bass and sizzle, mids highly recessed. Probably OK for listening to Techno, Rap, or for DJ use, but too unbalanced overall for general purpose high-end listening.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Gave a few models (IIRC from $100-$300) a test drive last summer. Was underwhelmed. Thick, fuzzy bass predominated. I don't recall excessive high end but then again I probably appreciate more treble than most critical listeners.

5. HiFiGuy528

I don't expect these to sound good for all types of music. I want to see what if anything it does well on.

6. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I tried Beats before and hated them. Just from a build quality perspective they were total crap. I do a lot of walking around the city as part of my commute and as you move around your can hear the plastic creak on these things. Was not a fan at all.

I can't comment on the sound because I never got past the crap build and didn't worry about moving on any further with looking into them.

All that said, they do look cool on the youngsters.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

8. I've listened to the Beats Studio headphones and they are not as bad as a lot of people say. The sound quality is not to my liking, with a big artificial bass boost. However, the bass is pretty tight and controlled, and not loose and unwieldy. I find the midrange a bit recessed, leading to a warmer, fatter sound. The very top end is a little exaggerated too, but is not harsh or grating.

The build quality is pretty good. Materials are nicely finished.

All in all, not my taste in headphones, but they are not absolute garbage. Rather, if you want headphones with a built-in non-defeatable tone control emphasizing the bottom end, they may be for you.

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I'd never pay for them because they are overpriced but I did get a set as a Christmas gift from a client--they are fine for walking around the city and listening to dance music or pop/rock. I don't think I'd sit around the house and pour myself a glass of red wine and do critical listening with them. If you get the kind that fold up be careful because I have pinched my fingers in the damn things a few times and it hurt like hell (metal parts)

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

11. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I demoed them at Worst Buy and wasn't impressed -- as mentioned, probably a smiley face setup. And that's fine and good, but if I plan to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of headphones, I prefer Sennheiser over Beats.

12. HiFiGuy528

Since I do own a few entry level and mid grade headphones, it would be fun to see where this MIXR version stands.

13. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

The only pair of Beats I heard were hugely exaggerated in the bass and treble, with no real midrange to speak of. They're designed for kids who have grown up on boomboxes and car audio systems consisting of multiple 15" subwoofers. For the money, you can get something infinitely better. Entry-level Grados and Sennheisers will wipe the floor with them in terms of musical reproduction. They don't look as "cool" as the Beats, but you'll look like you actually know what good sound is, rather than a kid trying to fit in.

Dr. Dre is laughing all the way to the bank.

Jimii70 likes this.
  14. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

I did a slight comparison of them and a Sony Bass brand at Best Buy. Sony's were $250 cheaper and about the same.

15. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Mike, sounds like you're getting the same range of responses here as at AA. For me the comment by the guy who sells them about the poor sound quality and even worse build quality was most telling.

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Intersting comments about the Grados...my nephews listened to my Grado SR60is at Thanksgiving and each immediately requested a pair as Christmas gifts. Made shopping for them easy! ;)

They absolutely love them, too. No Beats for them. They also like the retro look of the Grados.

17. phallumontis

That's awesome. Everyone I've ever let hear my SR80's immediately looks at me and says, "Who makes these? I want them." It makes me feel good inside.

Whenever people give me crap about audiophiles shelling out big bucks for equipment, I can usually shut them up by talking about Beats and Bose. Both are heinously overpriced considering their mediocre performance, and yet the Keeping Up With the Joneses set feel compelled to buy them. You can get equal or better performance for under 100 bucks, easy. But people want other people to see them with the "b" on their ears, I guess.

18. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would not waste the cash. I've heard them several times and they really are colored. No pun intended.

20. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

21. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

22. phallumontis

Not surprising. Having the "hot new thing" on your person, especially in a big city, makes you prime mugger bait. They'll even nab the Apple earbuds if you're not careful.

23. HiFiGuy528

I would never wear it on the streets of San Francisco. You are asking for trouble if you do.

The Klipsch Reference One I have isn't very good IMO. I ordered the Image One today to see if it's worst than the Reference One.

24. HiFiGuy528

Tyll, didn't like the Solo but thought the Studio was ok at best. I hated the Studio and Solo when I auditioned it. The MIXR has a different sound signature from my very short audition at the store the other day. That short impression was what got me interested besides the good looks. I'm trying to get a discount on these so it may be a week or so before I can get it. If my Monster contact doesn't come through, I'll order it from Amazon at full retail price. :(

I will give my unbiased honest opinion on the sound, features & value. I'll put them against some leasor priced and higher priced cans too.

25. HiFiGuy528

I think most of us are not the targeted audience. We know what good sound is so the Beats won't do it for us. For me, I am interested to see if the MIXR does the job it is marketed as, for electronic music. I will play some David Guetta stuff and compare the MIXR's sound to other headphones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.