Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk from the MONO master on Sundazed!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laservampire, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing Thread Starter

From Sundazed on Facebook: a mention of the mono masters and two Beefheart 45 releases on Black Friday, with more to come....

:goodie:

Attached Files:

Joy-of-radio and dennis1077 like this.
  2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

YYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Gotta love Sundazed!

4. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Very cool!

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

A mono Safe As Milk would be most awesome.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

YEAH BABY !!!:goodie:

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Are these the actual original mixdown masters, or is this another case of finding a production submaster in some far flung country (like the Mamas and Papas)?

8. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

(Not to toot my own horn -- well, okay, to do that *a little* -- but I did that sleeve above!! Pretty proud of it, but man, this other one for Abba Zaba is even *cooler*)

[​IMG]

(Wish I knew more about the technical details!!)

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You gotta think that experts like Sundazed, that they have the real thing and know all about the difference between the US and UK monos. If there's one label that I would expect to do this right, it's Sundazed.
    They didn't do the first Leonard Cohen in mono, but I suspect that was because the tapes weren't there.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A production submaster could still be a copy of the legit dedicated mono mix. But it wouldn't be the first generation master.

11. Schoolmaster Bones

True, but a production submaster would be fine if nothing better could be found. Let's face it, most of what's considered "original pressings" out there are not cut from first-generation masters anyway.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Sure...Could be great, depending on how carefully the submaster was cut. This was more a question of interest than one of dire concern.

13. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

That is far from true, in any country.

Master finished? Cut that disc. No time for anything else. Music used to be a fast business.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I could imagine the "original" master tape here to be in exceptional condition. I can't imagine this tape being ordered up for recut after recut, when the stereo mix would be considered the go-to reel.

But why am I the only one who thinks that the stereo mix is a real TKO?

15. Schoolmaster Bones

I've only heard a needledrop of the mono mix, but I like it much better than the stereo.

16. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Oh hell yeah!

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing Thread Starter

I wanna know what's on the other side of 'Plastic Factory'! I hope to god it's Electricity, that's the only track with IGD on the mono needledrop I have.

Man you do awesome work, everything I've seen of yours really captures that vintage vinyl artwork vibe :righton:

18. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I like it too. I have a mono, and an early stereo copy.

There are some rather nasty sounding stereo LPs about of this release, like the UK issues. Maybe people think of those, not what the record was intended to be.

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I hope they do this one at some point !!!

Attached Files:

20. mike65!

mike65! Forum Resident

I'm excited about this!

21. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

The other side of Plastic Factory is Where There's Woman!! I believe this single actually came out in...early 70s?

And thank you very much for the kind words!! I am proud as heck of this one.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What is it with Beefheart and vacuum cleaners. :confused:

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a multicolored Buddha LP (second label), which sounds starchy and brash in the wrong way. The late BMG issued CD got it right imo.

24. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I inherited an original 60's Safe as Milk stereo LP that would have sounded fine, but the previous owner didn't take care of his vinyl. In the 80s I came across a Buddha vinyl reissue and figured I'd upgrade, but when I brought it home and played it, it was loaded with tape hiss and it was in mono and had no dynamic range. The store let me return it for credit even though it wasn't technically defective.

25. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

The Mamas and Papas tape was a Western Studios EQ master found in the far flung UK. Nothing wrong with that considering the flat mixdowns are trashed. We shall wait and see what Beefheart treasures still exist!

Joy-of-radio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.