Miles Davis Kind of Blue MFSL 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radam40

radam40 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I couldn't find much answers on the current SH MFSL thread. They are mostly talking about the MFSL SACD reissues.

Has anybody heard the MSFL vinyl reissue of KOB?
    Does it sound better than the Classic records version?

What is the source for the 45rpm vinyl version? Is it a digital or analog master?

Thanks,
    Roland

crispi likes this.
  2. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

Hi Roland,

The MFSL reissue of KOB on vinyl has not been released yet. I believe they have a tentative date of December, and I wouldn't hold me breath waiting. Milestones has just been released on SACD, and they have not released the vinyl version of that either, of which I'm personally waiting for and am looking forward to. :D

Tim

3. radam40

Hi Tim,

A UK shop is listing the MFSL vinyl for pre-order for all now due in August...

look here:

Welcome to vinylonly.biz

No reviews, no blogs, nothing but Vinyl. And Vinyl Only (*)...

Updated: July 26 2012

We are closed for one week's vacation in sunny Norfolk 27th July-August 4th 2012 - all orders placed will be dealt with immediately on our return :)

MFSL - Bob Dylan and Miles Davis deluxe reissues - all now due between late July/August!
    DOORS - 200G and SACD Reissue on Analogue Productions - strictly limited - pre-order now to secure your copy and save £££s!

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

As far as MFSL release dates - I wouldn't listen to ANYONE but Music Direct (not Amazon, not any independent shop, not even a large retailer). They own the label and they are ALWAYS the first to offer the MFSL product for sale - days to weeks before anyone else.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I didn't know that Music Direct owned MFSL!

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I always preorder MFSL from Music Direct and receive records stamped in low 200 range. Not that I can tell difference between albums stamped 200 or 2000 but as Mike T pointed out you will get the record before anyone else.

7. radam40

What is the source for the 45rpm vinyl version? Is it a digital or analog master?

8. radam40

Since I already have the CR reissue 200g of KOB which sounds fantastic, I'm not interested in a mediocore reissue from a digital Master, even if it's a MFSL vinyl reissue.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not that I know for sure, but I'll bet the vinyl will be mastered from a prepared DVD, like 96/24 of the Mark W. job that was done with Presto tube playback chain, maybe right from an SACD ad slightly EQd.

My opinion: Sony let the near-perfect cat out of the bag, and so did CR. This is another one of those titles that sells well and CAN be licensed out the ying-yang. KOB is not a simple task from what I've heard.

From what I've heard about the Dylan 45, I'm looking forward to that.

10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Doesn't take much time and effort to get the facts.

"Part of Mobile Fidelity’s Miles Davis catalog restoration series, the landmark has been given the ultimate white-gloves treatment. Mastered from the original master tapes, and pressed on 45RPM LPs at RTI, this sumptuous box set of the often-reissued album is a must for even fans that already possess multiple versions. Such is the illuminating transparency, reference dynamics, organic warmth, and instrumental detail exposed by the thoroughly scrupulous mastering process."

David Ellis likes this.
  11. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

If an analog tape is used, it will be the remix prepared by Mark Wilder in the 1990's, the same tape used by Grundman for the Classic Records release. If that's the case, then Sony will demand that the analog re-master be done in house at Sony, just as the Analog Production 45 rpm's of Sony material were.

If this happens, I think the outcome could be quite good. The Classic 45 is stunning though and I don't think there will be a way for MFSL to top it. That being said, I think they have a chance of creating at least the next best thing to the 45. I'll probably buy it and make a comparison.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's no way to really know the facts unless someone "tells tales" at cutting, and even then, there's been revisions to this "master".

CR did a great job, and I too have skepticism.

13. radam40

thank you all, for your input and opinions. I guess that I will buy it, since my CR 33rpm has that pressing issue in the middle of Flamenco sketches and my Denon DL S1 is not able to track this passage.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

well I have in mind that ALL mfsl stuff is from Analog masters, or exist some from Digital sources?

15. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

Maybe some titles in the Silver Series. Some records issued in this series are from the 80s, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were digital recordings. But again, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone could illustrate with an example?

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes maybe the silver line are digital

17. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

the tears for fears is digital source on silver label

hishou likes this.
  18. FYI, I asked MFSL about the release date since I have this album on preorder, and here's their reply:

19. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Are they not taking preorders? I can't seem to find the link...

20. I pre-ordered mine here.

21. radam40

That's where I also pre-ordered mine...

22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I wonder how this will compare against the all analogue Sony Legacy vinyl from a few years back? Mine is slightly dished but sounds stunning.

23. action pact

As good as I'm sure it sounds, I'm pretty certain that the Legacy was not all-analog. I believe it was cut from a high res source however.

24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

well they did a grand job - was it Kevin Gray who cut it? I can see 'KPG' in the lead out. Is the 50th anniversary set worth getting (if not too expensive?) It's blue vinyl isn't it?

25. action pact

Almost certainly! He cut the RSD mono Miles LPs too.

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.