"Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" [Audio Fidelity Gold CD] - Shipping Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Listening to my copy now (#314 for those keeping score)

"Rainy Day Women" just THUMPS right from the get-go. One thing I never appreciated until now was how the three acoustic songs that follow sound so different from one another. "Blowin' in the Wind" sounds glorious. I can live with that stereo mix when it sounds this good. "Times" and "It Ain’t Me Babe" have such presence to them, especially the latter. "Like A Rolling Stone" flat out ROCKS. Dig those poppin P’s. I haven't compared it to the DCC...maybe someday.

Time to pause for the side break….

"Mr. Tambourine" is breathtaking, my favorite Dylan song sounding better than ever. "Subterranean" kicks you-know-what, especially that bass. I’ve heard "I Want You" dozens and dozens of times but that lead guitar line really shines through on this disc. It’s hypnotic. The spell is broken almost immediately when "Positively 4th Street" kicks off with an authority that doesn't let up for four minutes. By the far the very best I’ve ever this song. "Just Like A Woman" is profound…the vocals, the guitar, that ghostly organ, and those crashing drums that bring one of my all-time favorite album sides to a close.

Now how about a similar treatment for one of the vintage stereo mixes of Blonde on Blonde. :cheers:

2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

MOFI disc coming this fall might do the trick :) I'm anxiously awaiting.

3. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

Agree 110%. :righton:

4. SACDLover

SACDLover Forum Resident

Just listened to my copy.

Track 2, Blowin' in the Wind, wow!!! Jaw-dropping :D

Sounds like Bob in my room.

Also "Positively 4th Street", :edthumbs:

5. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Fact: OPPO and its relatives (Cambridge Audio) still make BD players with built-in HDCD decoder. (Also the bigger Denon (DBP-A100, DBP-4010UD, DVD-A1UD) and Marantz (UD8004, UD9004) BD players have a built-in HDCD decoder)

Btw: You don't need a player with built-in HDCD decoder. A receiver with built-in HDCD decoder (like my Denon AVR-4310) is sufficient.

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Got the one my local Brick and Mortar ordered for me today, # 1961.

Here's hoping the rest of you get your orders.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

These two get my vote for best sounding as well.

8. Just got news from Amazon -- my copy will be here on Tuesday.

9. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

What was your original order date?

Thanks

10. July 2nd.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

My original order date was 6/28 and it will be here Tuesday.

12. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

My amazon order shipped; wouldn't usually comment about it but due to the delays I thought it might be relevant. I ordered on 6/10.

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

How can you tell the difference, unless one of them is renamed to "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits [Audio Fidelity] Shipping Thread".

15. apple-richard

Alright you made me bring the Baby out. :winkgrin:

Attached Files:

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Sorry guys, was just asking a question. That was my understanding of the situation. Carry on...

17. apple-richard

No problem. Both threads got caught up in the shipping frenzy. With this being the first AF title to sell out before street date a lot of members are wondering if they'll be shut out. I've been waiting for weeks to bring the Baby back out. It's all in good fun. We need some humor around here sometimes.

:wave:

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I haven't read this entire thread, so I didn't know that! Jeez, I hope mine gets shipped.

19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Is that really true? Wasn't the same thing said of the AF Pet Sounds when it came out......then brand new copies were available for seemingly years later...hmmm.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Maybe, but nobody wants to be the one left out in the cold (at a reasonable price), and have to fall prey to the opportunists (crazy, gouging prices).

I cancelled my Amazon order after umpteen delays, and got one directly from Marshall himself, within 48 hours, and emerged most satisfied.

21. apple-richard

There was an email sent to all AF Members last month from Marshall saying for the first time an AF Gold release had sold out before street date. Now of course all of their usual vendors got copies we just don't know yet if it was enough for current demand. Pet Sounds had a run of 7.500 copies not the usual 5,000.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I just "pre-ordered" a copy from Amazon (can it still be a preorder if it is released tomorrow?) right now; no such warnings on their site about limited availability or anything.

My prediction: In a month or so, the classified section here will have a glut of AF Greatest Hits for sale, as everybody double/triple-orders in a panic and then dumps one or more copies afterwards.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Can anyone who already has received a copy give an update to tell us which mixes on this disc are new to CD?

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Baby, please stop crying.

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

At the moment, it's not even sold out (at full list price) on the AF site.

And it's instock and ready to ship at importcds.com.

It may sell out in the future of course, but looks like demand has not yet consumed the supply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.