Little Feat, Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by duggan, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggan

duggan Senior Member Thread Starter

Looks like great value. Not clear about the mastering/ sound quality.

What are forum members views on this package containing the first five albums.

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Honestly, even if the sound is sub-standard, which for me on this series it hasn't been, you are getting a great deal. I have a couple of different original album series (Donovan, Fleetwood Mac, Johnny Cash) and the sound has been decent. Go for it.......

MYQ1 likes this.
  3. duggan

duggan Senior Member Thread Starter

Sound advice, thanks.

btw, not many Little Feat fans around here anymore?

4. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

These are not remastered. They are the same as the "normal" WB CDs.

5. The discs in the Original Albums Series Little Feat release carry exactly the same mastering as is found on the individual Warners CD's. Pefectly fine.

MYQ1 likes this.
  6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

As long as there's me I don't care about anybody else.

:)

I LOVE Little Feat and sure wish we could get some hi-rez versions of their albums and even one or two more shows from the vault with Lowell. What a great band!

Dave Armstrong and samthesham like this.
  7. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

I'm sure nearly everyone here are BIG Feat fans. I'm also sure most already have these CDs purchased seperately. As a set they are a real deal and a must have if, by the odd chance, someone does not already own them.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:righton:

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

10. A poor review really put me off going anywhere near this box set, but after buying, and being very impressed with the Tom Waits, Tim Buckley & Duke Ellington box sets in the same series I just had to get a copy of the Little Feat and hear it for myself.

Like the others I've heard in this series the sound is not a problem at all for me and probably as close to the original vinyl sound as anyone could reasonably wish for, even more so when you consider the very attractive asking price.

A great bargain - & the CDs are crankable too!

Rhino/Warner didn't catch on to the error on the back of the Feats Don't Fail Me Now sleeve where the title track is incorrectly listed as Feets Don't Fail Me Now.

Comments copied from here >
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=266789&highlight=

11. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Have the Mofi's for most of these :righton:

But to get 5 for small change is a good thing, I have the Poco, Spirit, Zevon & Tim Buckley sets..

12. I posted the following review on Amazon UK, and possibly on another SH Little Feat thread .....

The first review posted really put me off going anywhere near this box set, but after buying, and being very impressed with the Tom Waits, Tim Buckley & Duke Ellington box sets in the same series I just had to get a copy of the Little Feat and hear it for myself.

There is no doubt it would have been great to hear all these discs fully remastered but I do not think any of these 'originals' sound anywhere near as disappointing as the very detailed first review suggests.

Like the other box sets I've heard in this series the sound on these CDs is not a problem at all for me and probably as close to the original vinyl sound as anyone could reasonably wish for. In fact I think the first CD/LP "Little Feat" in this set actually sounds better than the original vinyl - probably because it has been (unlike the other 4CDs) remixed by Bob Kovach.

I too have Little Feat's more expensive 4CD (remastered) compilation 'Hotcakes & Outtakes' box and enjoy hearing and comparing the selection of tracks on it that are also on this 'Original Album Series', but listening to both box sets (with their different masterings) I'd say the bottom line is you can't have too many versions of the Warner Brothers recordings made by Lowell George's Little Feat and that this 'Original Album Series' Box cannot be beaten on value for money (or musical content).

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Feets Don't Fail Me Now is the correct title. Warners stuffed up the spelling when it was released.

MYQ1 likes this.
  14. moops

moops Senior Member

If the 5CD Original Album Series carries the Lee Herschberg mastering (ie:the standard WB discs) there's nothing wrong with that at all. Anything with his name attached to a mastering credit is usually :thumbsup:

15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Go for it. Crank up Cold Cold Cold and go to heaven.

MYQ1, Ro-Go and rstamberg like this.
  16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Time Loves A Hero is so much better than I used to give it credit for.

wayneklein and rstamberg like this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Three titles (I think) have been released as MOFI CDs- Their first ST album, Sailin Shoes and Waiting For Columbus.

Waiting For Columbus is available in 3 CD versions- the original release, then a remaster from around 2002 that to my ears sounds quite good and includes several tracks not found on the 2LP version and earlier CD, and also the MOFI which does not include the extra tracks.

As has been stated already several times, the Lowell George era LF is essential music and all CD releases sound at least pretty good.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Agreed. Get it

19. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Archive.org offers a lot of legit Feat live shows for download.

20. I never would have guessed that!

The only release where I have seen that spelling ("Feets") is on the back sleeve of the "Feats" CD. On all other LP & CD issues (Feats Don't Fail Me Now / Hotcakes & Outtakes / Waiting For Columbus / Hoy-Hoy) it's "Feats".

The official Little Feat site lists the track as 'Feets Don't Fail Me Now' on the album 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now' but confusingly goes on to list the track as 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now' on Hoy-Hoy! & Waiting For Columbus.

http://www.littlefeat.net/index.php?page=discband

http://www.littlefeat.net/index.php?page=lyrics&dc_id=322

21. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I have just bought the Self Titled WB CD and noticed "Remixed by Bob Kovach", the original recording engineer on the album. While the sound quality is stellar, Lowell George's vocals are low in the mix on many (not all) tracks, is that faithfull to the original LP?
    My hearing is not the greatest (Menieres disease) so I really appreciate that the liner notes contain the song lyrics.
    This album has a really Stonesy feel about it, very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.