GrooveTracer Platters

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wasatch, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover! Thread Starter

I was considering swapping out platters. I was thinking about the Acrylic or the Delrin Platter. Anyone with experience on a Rega P5? What difference's did you hear? Is it worth it? I'm very interested in knowing your thoughts.

2. mcjfsn

mcjfsn Forum Resident

Have you already got the GT subplatter?

3. Wasatch

Yes

4. mcjfsn

mcjfsn Forum Resident

Guess I should have looked at your profile!:sigh:

Sorry I can't help you - I stuck with the glass on mine, but there is plenty of discussion on this topic here and on the Vinyl Engine forum.
    Cheers!

5. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I own a P5. I am sticking with the glass platter.
    I would like to get the subplatter. and the dual belt pulley.
    And.. maybe the counterweight which hangs under the arm.
    Otherwise i am fine.

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I own a P3-24 and have both the subplatter and acrylic platter. I prefer it over the glass. one... I hear a little more bass presence, and two.... it makes changing records so much easier, eliminating static. the felt mats were a PITA, not sorry to see them go.

7. Wasatch

Thanks. I use a Herbie mat, also so much better than the felt mat.

8. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

What are the advantages of the Delrin over the acrylic?

9. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I had the ref/subplatter and acrylic platter on my P3-24 and now have the ref/subplatter delerin platter on my P5 so I never compared the two platters on the same TT.

I have to admit I bought the delirin simply because it looks so cool, more hi-end. I know Clearaudio uses delrin platters. The theory is that the delrin is closer in composition to vinyl so you get a binding effect. I do know the image sounds much more solid than on the glass platter.

but for me the elimination of static is the one thing I can't go back to with the glass and wool mat. it is also easier for me to pick up and flip the records.

10. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

How difficult is it to install the GT subplatter?

11. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Do you keep the platter spinning while you flip sides with the acrylic platter? I've been doing that with the glass/felt and it makes life so much easier. But yeah, there is some static.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  12. Wasatch

It does look cool. :righton: So your not running anything on top of the platter, right?

13. Wasatch

It's pretty easy actually. Remove the glass platter, remove belt, remove subplatter, remove bearing. Put new bearing in, oil up the new subplatter, remove any excess oil, put belt back on, put glass platter back on. Make sure the glass platter is seated properly on the subplatter.

14. Jim in Houston

Right, it looks so cool I quit playing records and just watch it spin. :D

No, I do play records and I use a TTweights 1lb weight with bubble to completely bind the vinyl to the platter.

Here's a pic of the weight in action with my P3-24/acrylic combo.

[​IMG]

15. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I'm not sure Rega Turntables are meant to be used with record weights. Might put too much stress on the motor.

16. Wasatch

I've heard this also.

17. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Agree that it is that simple. Plus if you ever need to speak with Frank, you could not meet a nicer guy. Also, he has lots of knowledge in all things vinyl.

18. Jim in Houston

Bill (KT88) said it would be fine. He said it wouldn't sound good but that's for me to decide. But remember, he doesn't approve of (endorse) any Rega upgrades.

19. Jim in Houston

20. Coldacre

[​IMG]

Yes sir

21. Wasatch

I believe the Rega manual states not to turn the table off during a listening session.

22. Jim in Houston

It also says don't clean you records. :)

23. Jim in Houston

Too cool coldacre

24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I recently installed a Groovetracer delrin platter (black) on my P5. I also have the Groovetracer subplatter and counterweight. There is a clear contrast between the delrin and the stock glass/felt. As noted by Frank, the delrin gives a much more balanced frequency response, as well as improved soundstaging. After first firing up the delrin platter the sound seemed soft, with reduced transients and a loss of high frequency information. After living with it for a while and going back and forth with the glass/felt I no longer feel that way. Instead I think the glass/felt artificially highlights certain frequencies. It certainly gives a lively presentation, but one that is less accurate. For jazz, or acoustic or classical I think you get more out of the delrin. If your listening tends toward lots of rock or propulsive music you may find the delrin less satisfying.

John K.

25. Coldacre

cheers Jim. the Groovetracer add-ons sure bring an element of class to an already fine table. the under-slung counterweight improves tracking too. Frank sure makes great stuff.

Long Live Analog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.