Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

If these are going to sound like the cd box set released earlier, what's the point :confused:

about $350.00: :shake:

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well then that's $350 less you'll need to spend - you should be smiling rather than shaking your head...

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Posting my question again from the previous thread.

What is the source that this set is a limited edition of 50,000 copies?

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The digitally-sourced Abbey Road LP has been the top selling vinyl release for several (recent) years now. It indicates a desire among the population for Beatles music on vinyl.

It's easier to please a large majority of fans with really good reissues than it is to please a small minority of audiophiles with nearly perfect reissues.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Here is some information from What Records sent out via e mail to customers who have placed an order for the Beatles vinyl box......

7. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

In the face of this new release, the question has been posed more than once about how this would affect the value of the BC-13 sets.

If all-analogue is so crucially important to some, just how much would someone be willing to spend on an original numbered US 1978 BC-13 box set, outer box still sealed (as well as individually sealed LPs inside of course)? Would you pay more than the $350-$400 that the new box set is fetching?

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I read in several of the advance stories about this set that only 50,000 copies would be pressed. Whether this is true or not of course I cannot confirm or refute, since I don't work for Apple. See for example (there are many other articles that also mention this though probably all used the same press release for basic info):

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-remasters-to-see-vinyl-release-20120927

And here is the summary up as of today on the Jazzloft web site (one of my favorite haunts):
    I did make an error in an earlier post in Part 3 (which I can't edit now) about numbering - I don't think that it will be numbered - my bad, I'm so used to the two going together I just mentally filled in the blank.

9. hodgo

Go to The Beatles Website and read the press release......

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks DrJ and hodgo for your responses!
    Then it is quite possible that this might be a limited release.
    I am still on the fence about getting the box BTW.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So it has its own outer shipping box, so it won't be rattling around. That seals it . . . I just pre-ordered from Amazon. Shipping is only $3 and I should have it within a couple days after release. And I know my card won't be charged until it ships, so if for any reason I change my mind before then, I can cancel with no hassle..

12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Well, the head shake was for all the people convincing themselves that they need this, we already have this in the cd box. :thumbsdn:

13. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

"With this release, The Beatles’ first four albums make their North American stereo vinyl debuts. In 2013, the remastered albums will make their mono vinyl debuts."

I think I'll keep my BC-13 and wait for this. If the Stereo Reissues get rave reviews, I may spring for a few titles.

14. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

Ok. After sifting through all these posts, and weighing all the options, I went and pulled the trigger and pre-ordered. I own all the 2009 CDs, but none of the original stereo Parlophone pressings, though I do have an original Parlophone Sgt. Pepper mono. I figured I need these in my collection. I am willing to bet that they will sound as good, if not, better than the 2009 CDs and it's a good way for me to get them all at once in one, definitive collection. I wonder if the Amazon.com price will drop...I initially pre-ordered with them, but then cancelled in favor of Elusive disc, which is $50 cheaper.

15. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I don't have it so, ... tempted on Past Masters.

16. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I think you're a prime candidate, imo. I personally think these will sound a little better than the 2009 CD's, but that's just a guess right now,, until I can actually hear them myself. Yes, they are digitally sourced, but they will likely be mastered a little differently given the end format and if they specifically tried to make them sound like UK first pressings, maybe they managed to get close to that. I certainly hope so.

If NM UK first pressings were available for $23 a pop and easily accessable, I don't think any of us would be considering these remasters. But the fact is that they aren't, nor will they likely ever be. More likely is that the price of the first pressings will just go higher and higher as they become more rare in NM condition. Or, to really offer the best comparison, SEALED. How much is a sealed Sgt Pepper UK first pressing today? Do I even want to know?

As for Amazon, I wrote in the last thread that B&N is currently selling the boxed set for $361. I'm guessing that the Amazon US price will likely drop to $369, or possibly even $359. I can't see B&N beating them in price by almost 40 dollars for very long. Either that or the B&N price is going to go up, which is certainly a possibility as well. I might actually call them tomorrow to complain, as I figure the more people who tell them about the B&N price (or Elusive Disc, for that matter), the more likely that we might see a price drop on Amazon.

17. Solaze

Solaze New Member

And it's easier to please everybody with analog reissues than to only please the majority.Not to mention it makes more money too because then people with original uk pressings all the way to people with no pressings will purchase them. But obviously logic doesn't run through these people's minds.

There's no downside to analog, it only ends up pleasing everyone.

18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Not everybody wants CDs. :hurlleft:

and yes, even when the records are not analog source, or sound better than originals from nearly 50 years ago, we still want it on brand new factory-fresh vinyl.

Imagine that.

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well I want the vinyl box and have preordered it - and yet I have all the music already in about a zillion formats (not just CD). What's the big mystery? Many of us are rabid fans and have interest in this set, for multiple reasons (only some related to sonics), even if you personally don't.

Again - just save the $350 and be happy - why do you and others feel compelled to rain on our parade in the process?

20. hodgo

Agreed!

I have both CD sets and I will order both vinyl sets simply because I like vinyl and these will still sound pretty good, add to that I have neither the money, time or interest in spending years searching for original pressings that are in decent shape.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  21. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

So many complained about the limiting on the cd's but very few of the same people can bring themselves to mention unlimited vinyl being a positive.

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The absence of limiting on these has raised my interest a few notches.

I'll buy a couple of titles, evaluate 'em then go from there.

I trust my earz.

23. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

350 bucks for a nice book and a new set of record jackets :)

24. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Sure, Chief..

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I'm really not trying to rain on your guys parade, just my opinion, I really hope you guys enjoy these digital sourced LP's. :cheers:

Dan The Man1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.