Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

My shipping experience with them hasn't been the best either.

3. I was impressed with import CDs and amazon (accidently ordered two) and the way they packaged these at least for the U.S.

The Japanese edition with the booklet...anyone have it? I'm curious if the mastering engineer is mentioned.

4. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

would like to help but it's literally twice the price and that's too big a leap for an obi and booklet which may or may not include english text.

5. Lea St

Lea St Forum Resident

My set arrived minted today from amazon uk.
    I was originally put off by that youtube video and cancelled my initial order.
    But now glad I changed my mind and re-ordered it while it's still available.

My set looks fine to me, I have no problems with the artwork at all and the covers seem to look a little better than the set the guy had in the youtube video review, not as blurry.

My set looks like it has been sourced from France and it has a sticker on the front of the shrink-wrap with information about the contents. The guy in the youtube video did not have a sticker on his box.
    The first set that I had ordered from Sainsburys that was damaged which I just sent back, did not have a sticker on it either.

It simply reads...

EDITION LIMITEE 40 ANNIVERSAIRE
    8 ALBUMS STUDIO DE LEGENDE
    (ROXY MUSIC, FOR YOUR PLEASURE, STRANDED, COUNTRY LIFE, SIREN, MANIFESTO, FLESH AND BLOOD ET AVALON)
    + 2 CD BONUS (SINGLES, FACES B, MIXES RARES ET VERSIONS INEDITED EN CD)
    NOUVEAUX MASTERS 2012 ISSUS BANDES ANALOGIQUES ORIGINALES​

Did anyone else here have the sticker on the box?

6. ringorilla

ringorilla Forum Resident

I had it on the copy I bought here.

7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Somtimes, buying on-line as opposed to buying ina retail shop, the box set(s) may/may not have the factory stickers.

8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Anyone else ever thought about Roxy Music, being prog?

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

no, because they're not and never were. "art rock" as already mentioned, is the term that best describes them, if you feel the need to restrict.

10. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

11. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yup, not sure how much longer I can resist either.

Initially said no because they deleted hi-rez but at this price and with so many stellar reviews I can't hold out much longer.

Haven't bought from Red Tag before (every other attempted order was cancelled because they couldn't fulfill).
    Are these box sets decently packaged for shipment?

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I was in the same boat for a while, but the reviews swayed me. The price is reasonable, especially for someone like me who'd never bought these albums before (except some used LPs for cheap), even though the packaging is minimal and has some issues as detailed in the YouTube "unboxing" video.

I got mine from ImportCDs which I'd never ordered from before. Seemed straightforward and was a good experience for me.

Sadly, though, I would have eagerly paid double for a high-resolution version of this box set, but not sure I'd do so now if they decided to put out a high-resolution version in the future for twice the price. (But I'd be on the fence and sorely tempted, as long as they were still mastered the dynamic way this regular CD edition is mastered.)

Craig.

14. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

FYI: I've never ordered from Redtag myself. However I placed my order yesterday afternoon and received an email this morning that it has already shipped. :cool:

EDIT: I'd recommend spending an extra buck for insurance. Without it you're pretty much screwed if it arrives damaged from shipping.

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I too would have paid double for the set in hi-rez, and that's a bit of a worry now.
    Though highly unlikely, I'd be pretty choked if by some miracle it does appear on hi-rez in the future after I've invested in the CD set.

I'll continue to think about it, other than the first three I have all the albums already )though I must admit a couple of the earlier ones, especially Country Life and Siren, don't sound very good).

16. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Came thisclose to ordering it, then my library ordered it! And the two ELP Steven Wilson remixes as well. Got to LUV the library.

17. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I had always considered them so, with all the interactions between them and members of King Crimson, as well as their experimentation with non-traditional (in a rock context) instrumentation and arrangements. I can understand why some feel that their strong sense of irony keeps them out of the "prog" camp, but I tend to have a very inclusive view of terms like "prog" and "art rock," seeing them as more-or-less the same thing in their pushing of conventional boundaries.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Not on the first edition.

19. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I'm asking again on this new thread:

Do I hear some tape damage on "Trash 2" before the last verse? Sounds like sticky-shed syndrome, it's the only track that sounds better on "The Thrill of It All". The rest sounds incredible, though!

20. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Glad to see this set get such kudos. Gonna take the plunge.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

sounds better than EG 1st pressings or japan black triangles?

22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It should come with Avalon on SACD.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I agree 1+

24. Lee

Lee Forum Resident

I suspect that most other folks who have purchased and praised this set are familiar with Roxy Music's complete discography, however I was not. I have been taken aback by how most of these albums were recorded. It is almost as those they are aiming for a low-fi sound yet are playing music that has many intricacies which cry out (to me) for clarity, not the muffled sound they aimed for. I realize that this is their "sound" but I much more enjoy their Live at the Apollo DVD which is well recorded and allows for more appreciation of each musician's contribution to their music. Yes Avalon and Flesh and Blood sound good but these were intended to sound much different than their predecessors.

bobcat likes this.
  25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting to hear from a Roxy newcomer.