Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The EP is in mono!! (see the sticker)

Don't have it in mono.

2. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

Just read the back of the sleeves for the Blu Ray: 1080i/59.94 and DVD is NTSC, which is bizarre

3. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Ludicrous, even.

4. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had not been paying attention as to when this was going to be released to DVD and Blu-ray. I just ordered a Blu-ray from Deep Discount, today. I assume I will receive in two or three weeks, even though their warehouse is in Illinois.

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

So does everyone who needs aerial footage just raid the Kubrick library? :D

(See: "Blade Runner")

6. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Just got notice that my set has shipped from Amazon.ca! Yay!!!

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

8. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

No, MMT (the feature) is only 52 minutes. The database states "161 minutes" meaning they did watch the extras.

I'm not sure if the iTunes version comes with extras as well, but regardless: in Australia our classification board is a government body. What they say goes and if they slap a G, PG or X18+ on it - anyone selling or hiring the film in Australia has to follow suit.

Besides the brief shot of side boob and a faint "f**k" from Lennon in the doco - I still think the OFLC would have let this slide. They normally do for a lot of music videos. But it still doesn't explain why iTunes have put an "M" on the film. Unless on-line movie providers don't have to be classified. Which brings up another point - does iTunes have its own censor?

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I've never seen a Beatles release receive such little interest and excitement.

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have to ask, why did you assume that a remix would be adventurous and why should it be adventurous even? This is a reissue of a 45 year old film that previously would go out of print often--they should be correcting issues, not re-writing history just because they can.

11. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

How can you claim there are only two good songs in the film (I Am The Walrus and Fool On The Hill according to you), and leave out the title song? Magical Mystery Tour as a song is much more enjoyable to me than Fool On The Hill. I would guess to McCartney as well, since one is a regular in his live set, and the other isn't. Actually all of the other songs in the film are more enjoyable. I skip the Fool when I play the CD.
    :shrug:

13. Jose Jones

That is a pretty dubious claim. The songs are all good-to-great, even the dirge-like Blue Jay Way is authentic psychedelia.

14. applebonkerz

exactly :cheers:

15. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Well,Today's the day for the US for MMT's Reissue! Can't wait to get to Best Buy to snag a DVD!:righton:

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I agree those two are the only great songs in the movie. The other ones are variably enjoyable, but the title song is relatively poor by Beatles standards,

17. applebonkerz

:unhunh: :crazy:

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I don't know that because they list the entire time of the media that they necessarily watched (or rated) the extras. I don't think it's incredibly far-fetched that since the film had already been rated that they could use its original rating.

That's definitely a possibility.

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Extremely weak lyrics, not much of a tune, decent performance and production (The title song).

20. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The ORIGNAL Special ran 52 Minutes (60 if you include the Commercials in the US when they ran it on "Radio 1990",in 1989.)..this is longer,I suspect,than that,because of the added Missing Scenes.

21. Jose Jones

All right, I am watching the DVD version of MMT right now and what is really jumping out at me so far is the infamous "Jessie's Dream" sequence.

John's "....lots and lots of spaghetti!...." line is completely absent when playing it in the STEREO mode. And the music itself in Jessie's Dream is quite different and has piano parts that I have never heard before. Intriguing.

I'm also happy that the incidental music that plays when they are crawling into the tent and sitting down is nice and audible. What is that tune?

The remix of Blue Jay Way is very heavy. Deep, deep bass and cool stereo panning effects.

I would also like to know what song is playing and who is performing it when they are walking into the strip club and taking their seats.

Overall, I'm really liking what I am seeing and hearing so far.

22. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I have the DVD. Not sure what BluRay resulution can add to that particular material.
    The picture is truly pristine. Now I can get rid of that Laserdisc rip I had.
    The colors, I seem to recall the 1988 VHS had more saturated colors, but I could be wrong.
    The sound is stunning. There seem to be at least two separate tracks going on for the non-music sequences. That means there is always some stereo action going on. They even bothered to pan the bus from left to right and stuff like that.

For the first time I see what Mr. Bloodvessel is doing during the striptease: he is rubbing his glasses. Always had asked myself, what the hell is he doing?!

The best scene for me is the spaghetti scene, more enjoyable than ever. The psychedelic music backdrop in real stereo, curiously sounding like early Frank Zappa avant-garde music. And you can even hear John's voice "Spaghetti, lady"!

The specials are neat, never thought they had so much material. Aunt Jessie's musical abilities are astounding!
    Finally, there's a bonus scene from the striptease, which might explain the PG 12 rating on the DVD, whereas the Germans put a "0" sticker on it :D

23. Jose Jones

I was thinking the same thing about the color. Even with this good of a reissue, never get rid of your 1988 VHS versions--the soundtrack is unique to it and it looks great.

And yes, the sound on this new version is stunning.

*Edit* Wow, just saw the bonus "Dining Room" scene, the music being played by the house orchestra is incredible.

24. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The packaging of the deluxe set is wonderful but I have to say that the decision to shrink the size of the EP was a poor one. I can't even get disc two out of the sleeve!

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Does anyone know what Best Buy's deal is on the dvd or br? It wasn't listed in the flyer this week. I remember a time when all Beatles related releases got special consideration there, lots of times with exclusive bonuses...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.