Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Just bought the DVD for $16.99 at BB this morning. It wasn't on the shelves yet. I finally found it on the white cart that the staff was wheeling around to stock. Didn't see a BR anywhere but wasn't looking for it either.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Picked mine up at Walmart for $14.88.

I stopped at Best Buy first to get all the Beach Boys remasters, the Beach Boys Fifty Big Ones, The Who Live At Texas 75 DVD, and The Very Beast Of Dio Vol. 2. When I saw that Best Buy had MMT for $16.99, I had a feeling Walmart would have it cheaper (I forgot to look online before I left this morning.) So, I went down the road to check and sure enough Walmart had it for a couple bucks cheaper.

So, for those who just want the DVD and want to save a couple bucks, get it at Walmart instead of Best Buy.

3. Anybody else NOT get the Collectors Box Set today?

I called over to the HMV location where I ordered it? The regular editions came in and are out on display for sale today. The Collectors Box Sets did not arrive. :thumbsdn:

Anybody know if any Canadian retailers outside of HMV are carrying the Collectors Box Set such as Future Shop, Best Buy or Costco?

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Wow, the scene (in the Meet The Supporting Cast section of the bonus material) with Aunt Jessie playing drums with the house orchestra is pretty surreal. Even Ringo seems bewildered watching it now.

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

It's almost 2 Hours:53 Minutes for the movie,53 for the extras..And,they've shaved almost 10 Minutes off the BBC special on the DVD! Why? I guess because it couldn't fit..I hope it's in its COMPLETE 29 Minute Glory on the Blu-Ray edition!

6. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

The video on the Blu-Ray is excellent considering what it is. My friend who I had over was impressed with the video. I'm sure it is much better than the DVD version although I have not seen the DVD. 1080 vs 480. No-brainer for me. The audio is the best I have heard these songs in DTS MA 5.1 24/96

7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The recent BBC documentary was 60 minutes long. The 19 minute "making of" documentary on the DVD (and Blu-Ray) is, you are correct, a very cut down version of the BBC Arena film. The Arena film was much more than a "making of....", so the parts that were irrelevant to that concept were taken out for the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Archambault in Quebec had the deluxe boxes.

9. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Mine actually arrived today at around 3:20 p.m. - and the shipping quote said it would arrive tomorrow, so I am pleased to get this on release day (FIRST Beatles title to purchase on release day NOT at a store - and I have been collecting new Beatles releases on release day since 1977.)

Stopped at Wal Mart today to get something else and quickly looked to see if the DVD or BR came in, and I could not see ANYTHING on the shelves. I will be at Costco on Thursday so if I find one I will let you know (I highly doubt the deluxe set will be there...that is why I ordered it in two places to make sure I was able to get it. Amazon.ca surprised me big time and I am very pleased with the low price and perfect shipping).

I have opened the package but won't get a chance to see the blu ray until tomorrow. The package looks fantastic - they did a really nice job on this! I am pleased.

So, do you recommend watching the film first and THEN the extras OR the extras first and then the original film?

P.S. and for the record, all six songs are fantastic...even FLYING is good fun. Is it time to quote Paul again?:

"It's the bloody Beatles....shut up!"

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Surely I can't be the only one who's excited about the uncensored outtakes from the stripclub sequence

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't get too worked up! You see a little boob and that's about it...

12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

There is no "deal" - wasn't listed in the circular ad in Sunday's paper. BR - $25, DVD $17. Footage is identical. I guess a deluxe set will surface at BB in a few weeks....AS USUAL.

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Hey now, hey now... There's about 3 - 7 seconds of boobage, and some of us have waited 45 years to finally get to see 'em. I haven't been this excited about tatas in my entire life.

Smaller than expected, but still splendid nonetheless. Carry on. :pineapple:

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

They are spectacular.

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The blu-ray and vinyl or the boobies?

16. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

They'd used the same Damned "Censored" footage for the US DVD! Disappointing! $18+ for the same ol' film!:realmad:

17. Vinylsoul 1965

ok, just have to say the musical transition from the "tent" scene prior to Blue Jay Way is perfect. Previous versions always seemed too choppy.

Seeing things I have NEVER seen before. and the new mixes overall are excellent

Loving it!

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I am extremely disappointed that they replaced Lennon's spoken intro: "Roll up, Roll up, Roll up for the Magical Mystery Tour! Step right this way! Hurrrry, hurrrry, hurrrry!" with the standard one by Paul as heard on the album. :sigh::thumbsdn:

A while back (a month or so, I think) I said that maybe it would include an uncensored striptease, but the comment got gorted.

19. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I had ordered it through Amazon with a price (inc shipping) of $66, however, I decided to cancel it and go through JB after reading your post. I had to order it online as there's no copies here yet. It arrived today in a huge oversized box full of bubble wrap. Extremely well protected. I paid extra, but I'm happy to have it (literally next day after ordering) and without worrying about postal damage.

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's incredibly stupid that they didn't include the original mono soundtrack.

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yes indeed. The 1988 laserdisc and VHS had the Lennon intro even though it was a stereo remix.

22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I thought I didn't hear it because I was playing the 5.1 on a two speaker setup. Was it REALLY not included? Why? That just seems... Well, stupid.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Whaatt!!??
    That's an AWFUL mistake to make.

24. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

So a bit of a botched release then. Using bad sources for fade/effect shots, unnecessary frame rate conversion, audio remix missing some stuff.

Doesn't get me terribly excited for Let It Be. :/

25. Vinylsoul 1965

Yep - it was rather jarring and I am not sure why they did this...they transferred the other Lennon comments ("when a man buys a ticket...").

How hard would it have been to include the mono soundtrack?

Now, I know I am very negative about the stereo vinyl remasters but this to me is the only major disappointment for this release. I thought the transitions were IMPROVED from other versions of this and the picture quality (I'll see the Blu Ray version later this week) looks fab. The audio mix is really good and the things that are missing are minimal...and I have yet to spin the vinyl...

Overall I think this was a GREAT deluxe edition and it was money well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.