Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Exactly.
    I too think it is a disappointing omission, but letting the outrage get the better of oneself to the point of blaming one particular person without the slightest evidence is childish.

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have to say, having listened to the commentary track, that Sir Paul is sounding really old lately, his speech is a bit "mushy", almost Brian Wilson-ish at times. Quite a bit different from his voice on the Anthology. Ringo sounds about the same as ever.

3. houston

houston Forum Resident

interesting that you would liken Paul's aging to Brian's, they were born 2 days apart!

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Even if he didn't remember there are enough people still around to remind him, at least they should have included the option to hear the original mono soundtrack, does the historical accuracy of the title song to MMT not matter to anyone in The Beatles/Apple, for one it is valid reason to own the DVD for an alternate versions of these songs (the rest of the film is pretty dire) and they have lost my sale of $60 dollars for the set, and lets face it, it isn't really going to be flying off the shelves is it ?:shake:

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I bet a replacement set will be issued if enough complaints to the right people are made. It's a missing part of the movie! It's a major part of the movie, it's one of the most memorable things about it - the opening!

Maybe I am misremembering, but from when I last saw the film, I don't recall the stripclub scene cutting right into Your Mother Should Know.

But that opening sequence - issue a replacement disc, yeah? They did it for fake mono on the Capitol Box... This is a much bigger issue IMO.

6. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Paul seems to have a real throat problem this year, it's evident in his way of talking and singing. It's the unofficial reason of the cancelled Danish dates, and i hope the november won't be the " too much " concerts. Very sad indeed. Hope it's not a serious throat illness. All the sessions for the new album have this " voice " problem, given a big frustration to Paul about his new batch of songs ..............

7. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

You are misremembering,it does,indeed,goes into "Mother"..All prints I've seen on both VHS and Cable TV have this.

8. mr_mjb1960

With All that abuse he'd gave it all these years,it's a wonder he even HAS one! Shame,he used to have a rich Baritone,too,only to waste it!:shake:

9. Maidenpriest

New Magical Mystery Tour Title Track

Apart from the missing Lennon 'Roll Up.. Hurry, Hurry' it is also missing extra percussion, notably a distinct extra drum beat. The trip is pretty bland now IMO:(

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

My bluray arrived yesterday and I watched the film this morning (my very first time!) to fill a long pending hole in my Beatles world. After reading about the negatives being possibly lost, the PQ on the bluray was better than what I was expecting. The movie as such goes nowhere (or in a circle as the script envisioned!) but it has certain charm about capturing the Fabs at arguably the peak of their career. My main attraction here were the remixed tracks and they sound stunning in both the 24/96 stereo as well as the 5.1 DTS-HD.

Its probably the last time during the Beatle years that we see John having fun with the group, doing his silly antics and general goofing around. His attitude towards the band and life as such definitely changed during 1968 with more anger, cynicism, etc. This period also captures Paul at the height of his ego trip and that high self-confidence stayed with him all the way through 1969 until Klein got into the picture and things began to turn sour.

Not a great film by any stretch but I think a must-have for Beatles fans. Even you don't care about watching the Fabs, the remixed soundtrack makes this essential.

11. mr_mjb1960

They'd copied,more or less,the Canadian DVDs Soundtrack..The only difference is the synching..they'd finally synched it right...The Canadian one is two steps ahead of each scene's songs,if you compare it with this..It's very noticible in places! I also noticed this ran a little faster in tape speed..Why,I don't know,probably to make the group sound younger than they really were!

12. Ern

Ern Senior Member

:rolleyes:

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

This as as kooky as it gets on here. The deluxe is a beautiful package. Truly, no one suffers but you.

14. Maidenpriest

Don't need it now, i have just watched it on iplayer and anyway I have good quality original UK pressings of the vinyl as well as the faithfully reproduced CD EP, I would have at least bought the Blueray or DVD if the film soundtrack was faithfull to the original so I could make good digital copies of the alternate original versions of the songs, lets face it the film won't get many repeat viewings will it, so without the original different soundtrack what is the point of having it IMO !! :wave:

15. Jose Jones

I really, really doubt that there will be any replacing going on with MMT.

The analogy to the fold-down fiasco with the Capitol Albums Vol 2 Box is not really correct. There, buyers were promised the original mono mixes for Rubber Soul, which was not delivered; in this case, the soundtrack was advertised ahead of time as being "remixed", which to me gives them some license to fiddle with these things.

I'm not happy about the missing "John dialogue" in the title song, I'm not happy about the missing "...lots and lots of spaghetti...." line in Jessie's Dream. I don't like how some of the incidental music seems to fade up gradually instead of being there right when a new scene starts.

An example of this is the organ instrumental of "She Loves You" during the Marathon Sequence. In the 1988 remix, it comes right in at a good volume level; in the new reissue, the tune battles with the crowd noise for a bit before finally rising in volume.

The Jessie's Dream music is downright bizarre now---there are parts I never heard, that don't even seem to fit, that alternate with more familiar piano riff that previously dominated and formed, IMO, the basis of the tune. And there is no explanation anywhere about the incidental music in the bonus material, nor in Paul's commentary track. I think that was a lost opportunity for further insight. Paul and Ringo and others go on and on about how there was no script and it was all improvised but there is almost no mention anywhere of how the music was created, who wrote what parts, who played what, nothing.

16. Maidenpriest

I don't get why they didn't use the Martin remix from the 1990's that sounded perfectly good IMO, especially considering how his mixes of Help and Rubber Soul from 1987 are considered the originals now, does George Martin's vision only count for The Beatles albums !!!

17. Jose Jones

What 1990s Martin remix?

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I assume he means the wonderful 1988 Ron Furmanek stereo remix that is credited to Sir George Martin on the VHS & Laserdisc.

19. Jose Jones

Who knows? Why didn't they use that remix for the awful 1997 MPI DVD?

20. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

The Blu is 19.99 at Target... you'll find it in the music section with the Beatles CDs.

Like a previous poster, I worried about the PQ -- I think it's fine... probably as good as it can get given the film stock, lenses, etc. A pretty crummy film, yes, but must-own if you care a whit about Der Beatles.

21. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Wonder if I'm the only one then?

Can you describe what's supposed to be on the first 16 pages of the large book?

22. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Anybody play the vinyl in the deluxe edition yet? I haven't and will as soon as the baseball game is over (Go Yanks!) -- it is clearly mastered at EMI and pressed in the USA and should give a pretty good indication of what the upcoming Beatles LP box set will be like.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but has anyone else noticed the 4 "easter eggs"(so far!) on the Blu-Ray? All on the menu screen.

24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

:confused: Curious. The Target website says for the BD "not sold in stores" and lists the price as $22.19. I wonder what's up with that? Have others here found it in their local Target store? Mine isn't that local, and I don't want to waste the trip out there for nothing... although I never did get those Target anniversary Warhol soup cans yet.

25. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

I got my deluxe box yesterday afternoon. I played the extras including Paul's commentary during the film. I thought many of his comments were interesting. He said some of MMT's scenes were similar to scenes in AHDN. I found two of the easter eggs. I will look for the others tomorrow. I will play the vinyl tomorrow as well. My book was in perfect condition. I am using the "ticket" as a bookmark. I thought the film looked & sounded great. Much better than the earlier issued DVD & VHS tape. Very happy with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.