Next batch of Thin Lizzy "Deluxe Editions" are Bad Reputation, Black Rose & Chinatown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree, but unfortunately the decided the release "Yellow Pearl - The Phil Lynott Collection" instead. This didn't include every album track from both albums but does feature some of Phil's non-album B-sides from the "Solo In Soho" and "The Philip Lynott Album" era's (1980-1982), and a couple of his non-album singles. Like you said, I would've preferred expanded editions of the two albums adding the non-album B-sides.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What I heard (from someone at Universal) was that they had enough stuff for 2 CDs but that "the band" vetoed some of the stuff they were going to include for some unknown reason. Similar to the "just use these 16/44 versions we already have instead of making new remasters" debacle for Jailbreak/Johnny/L&D.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

No one has the old Japanese and new deluxe version of Black Rose to compare? :help:

4. Today, I received the Deluxe Editions of "Black Rose" and "Chinatown". I also have the first Japanese CD pressings for these albums (28DP-54x). And I also own the SHM-SACD of "Black Rose".

The new remasters are really quite decent and nice. There was only a small volume difference between the new versions and my old CD versions. Looks like there was very little or no compression used during the new remastering (if some, it is only very very slight and really not a big issue at all).

The old Japanese CD's sound a tad darker and warmer than the new versions. The new versions sound cleaner and better defined in the higher frequencies, probably due to improvements in the analog to digital converters used. All in all, I still prefer the tonality of the older versions a little bit, but the new ones are certainly not bad at all. I can recommend them.

The bonus discs really have some great material to offer, really worth getting. The total running time of the 2 CD's of the "Black Rose" DE is still under 80 minutes, so this would have fit also on a single disc. The bonus disc for "Chinatown" is over 70 minutes long just by itself.

Brian Vollrath likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool. Thanks for the info, Roland.

6. Did some more listening to the Deluxe Editions of "Black Rose" and "Chinatown".

I like the mastering on "Black Rose" a little better. It is actually a very fine remastering job. Dynamic range is also the same as the first Japanese CD pressing. The 1st japanese CD still sounds a little warmer, but the new remaster has better midrange in my opinion.

For "Chinatown", the new remaster has about 1.5 dB less dynamic range vs. the 1st Japanese pressing. The remaster sounds a little cleaner in the midrange and treble, but the recording itself tends to be a tad on the bright side, so I like the tonality of the 1st Japanese pressing better here. Overall, I prefer the 1st Japanese CD still for the main album, but the new remaster is also decent. The bonus disc of "Chinatown" is really awesome and filled with gems, so it is a must for Thin Lizzy fans in my opinion.

For "Black Rose", I am at the moment undecided whether I like the 1st Japanese CD better or the new remaster. I also have the SHM-SACD which is nice, but I don't find the SHM-SACD totally superior to the other versions. All three are actually good. The best value for money is certainly the new Deluxe Edition with really good sonics, bonus disc and nice packaging.

7. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

Thanks, Roland. Chinatown will be purchased on my next trip to Edinburgh!

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Good deal. I hope Fighting comes out as good as BR.

9. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

A little late to this thread, but...
    That's too bad. I was hoping they'd give at least Solo In Soho a good deluxe treatment. Otherwise I've enjoyed the more recent Lizzy remastered albums that I've bought (Black Rose, Fighting and the one-disc Bad Reputation - I've never been much of a fan of Chinatown and so I skipped it, just downloading the songs I liked to get the benefits of the new mix). Now I'm looking forward to the next two, especially Thunder & Lightning.

Also a little sad to hear that Bad Reputation was cut down to just one disc instead of two, I wonder why the extra stuff was culled?

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I heard that "the band" (Scott Gorham?) nixed some of the stuff. Have no idea why.

11. Leigh Burne

Anyone else noticed a fair amount of crackling during the intro (and less so elsewhere) on Toughest Street in Town on the Black Rose deluxe?

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I can't say I have noticed that. Anybody else hear a problem?

13. Jailbreak

Jailbreak Forum Resident

Not noticed any issues with Toughest Street In Town. There is a background crackling in Waiting For an Alibi during the guitar harmonies at the start, but that is true of all the masterings I've heard.

Anyone else think the Deluxe Edition could do with a little extra push in the bottom end?

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Almost every CD version could, but it would probably be bloated and not sound like the original bass. I would still like to hear some more opinions comparing the deluxe to the 1st Japanese.

15. Jailbreak

Jailbreak Forum Resident

Not the 1996 remaster. The bass was really over cooked on that version. Makes the whole thing sound muffled.

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. I have the remaster of Jailbreak, as well. It also sounds bad.

17. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I picked up the deluxe edition of "Bad Reputation" at my local indie for $13.99 and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds, with the exception of "Southbound" and maybe "Opium Trail" too. Those 2 tracks are too bright than the rest of the disc for some reason, to the point that it's really noticeable. Definitly on "Southbound" anyway.
    Not bad for $14; I'll need to re-read through this thread and determine if I want to search out any other Lizzy deluxe's.

art likes this.
  18. Leigh Burne

I finally got round to picking up the Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox deluxe releases. Anyone else noticed some audio glitches on Johnny? For example around the 1:30 mark on Fools Gold (During the line"he calls for wine but they'll only serve him water") the audio seems to flicker between the left and right channels, I don't really know how to describe it, but it's pretty noticeable, especially through headphones. There were a few other pops and stuff on the album too. I thought it was just my copy so I took it back and swapped it, but the new one was like it too. Anyone else noticed anything like that? Has the album always been like that?

19. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Man, those bonus tracks on "Bad Reputation" sure do sound like the regular tracks maybe with different vocals...at least on most of the cuts that say they're from the 1-8-77 Peel sessions. I'd swear at least the drum tracks are the same as the regular album. Hmm. I've only listened to them twice, need to listen again.

20. Leigh Burne

From memory, the first two are genuine new recordings, but the rest are just the album versions with fresh vocals. Thin Lizzy weren't the only bad to do this - some of Queen's BBC sessions are just album backing tracks with new vocals. Usually it's done because the band either runs out of time to record the songs anew or they just don't like what they did record.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Is Bad Reputation deluxe a new mastering or still some old one like Jailbreak and Johnny? Should I look for the old Vertigo of Bad?

22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

It's a new mastering by Andy Pearce. It's in line with his other work in the Thin Lizzy DE series. I really like it. It's a single disc and it's not a digipack like the rest of the series, so it doesn't really sit on the shelf well with the other ones. Kind of a bummer if you're a tad OCD like me.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I see. Thank you.

24. So I FINALLY got around to picking up Black Rose. I too here a considerable amount of crackling/distortion on Toughest Street In Town. I'm wondering if someone who has the vinyl or original CD release can see if it's just part of the recording? Thanks!

25. Giving this a bump. I'm interested in knowing what that sound is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.