Jazz albums reissued on CD by Atlantic Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

List. Click on the black "WPCR" buttons for the next lists and on the "2" etc. red buttons for later releases. They can be ordered from CD Japan.

2. Wow, that is quite the selection of Jazz titles!

There are some we all know of course, but many many I have never heard.

Are there any real recommended diamonds/pearls in this series? I am more interested in hard bop and modal jazz, mainly from the late 50's and early 60's. I am less interested in more fusion oriented Jazz or Free Jazz from the later 60's.

Hans, are there any real essential albums you can recommend, which meet the above criteria?

3. J.A.W.

Roland,

I don't have time now to compile a list and post it here, but why don't you use the jazz list I sent you and do a search for "Atlantic"? The PDF document has a search function.

4. Hans, thanks. I found some Art Farmer and Nat Adderley albums in your list that I might try out.

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Bump. Any gems we should know about?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

These sound amazing, unlike any Atlantic on cd I've heard before.

I recommend Milt Jackson "Vibrations," and the John Lewis "Essence" (Gary McFarland arrangements). Both are great dates, not sure either has been on cd before, haven't seen them.

Jackie P likes this.
  7. Lonson

I'd also like to recommend two in this series that were among the first lps I ever owned (still have them, 43 years later):

"Sister Salvation" by Slide Hampton
    "Blues Shout" by Leo Wright (one side Leo plays flute and Harry Lookofosky plays viola; the other Leo plays alto sax and Richard Williams plays trumpet)

Both are excellent sessions and though both have been on cd before via Collectables, they didn't sound like this.

Jackie P likes this.
  8. Lonson

I'd also recommend the Jack Wilson cds.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Anyone heard this one before?

[​IMG]

10. Lonson

Don't think that one is part of this series, maybe it is.

Anyway if you like other 'seventies Evans recordings, you'll like this one, it's one of the best. I prefer his earlier work, but this is one of the best of the later years.

11. noname74

Yep it's included in the series: http://wmg.jp/jazz1000/
    WPCR-27049 〈ATLANTIC〉

Found about 10 I'm interested in...CDJapan here I come. :laugh:

12. J.A.W.

It is part of the series, it was released in Japan on April 25, 2012 (Atlantic WPCR-27049) and apparently still available:

CD Japan (scroll down for audio samples)

13. noname74

Oh crap..just realized I was only looking at Series 1...there are 3 others...this could get expensive.

14. J.A.W.

So far there are 5 series of 10 albums each, WPCR-27001~27050.

[edit]

My mistake, there are even more, beyond WPCR-27050... At the moment the last CD in the series is WPCR-27200.

15. J.A.W.

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Agreed. I already gor 28 of them! They really sound very good and are reasonably priced. To the above I d propose also John Lewis' The wonderful world of Jazz that included a rare third stream ensemlble with Schuller and Jim Hall. Also the thrilling Gypsy Cry of Attila Zoller with Hancock, Vitous' Infinite search with MacLaughlin, Herbie Mann's Hold on I am comin, Live at Newport with an amazing long version of Girl of Ipanema, Milt Jackson's Bags and Flutes with Wess, Jaspar and Burrelll, Charles Lloyd at Monterey, the definitive Live at the Half Note of Art Farmer and Jim Hall, King Curtis and Champion Jack Dupree with C Dupree at Montreux.

Great series.:righton:

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

An orgy! One of Gil Evans masterpieces.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ll probably give it a try anyway-Anybody hear Mingus Blues And Roots WPCR 27061?I wonder if it will be an improvement over the original US Atlantic.

19. noname74

Many of the earlier releases in this series are on sale at HMV Japan....30% if you buy 5 or more...works out to 700Y per disc.

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Now available in Fopp for £5 per disc.

21. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Warner Europe started pressing many of these titles, complete with Japanese obi strips. The only difference is the pressing plant.

:wave:

Robert C likes this.
  22. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Popped into Fopp (Union Street, Glasgow) today and noticed shelves filled with red OBI strips. Pretty odd. Had a glance over the jazz titles but nothing I knew of, also had some soul titles and noticed the Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway album for a fiver. Not sure if there was any others scattered around...

Would I have bought it without the intriguing OBI strip? Probably not. It was then I realised it was probably a European marketing ploy, but hey, here's hoping the mastering is decent!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The CDs read "Manufactured in Japan ... Made in the EU" :D

bleachershane likes this.
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I bought Essence and Bags & Trane. I'm very new to jazz but thought I'd dip my toe in to the Atlantic catalogue given the low price and attractive package.
    Listened to Essence this evening, I enjoyed it. The mastering seemed a bit loud at the high end and perhaps the bass was a little bloated? I had to turn the amp down three times. Once I'd found an agreeable volume however it sounded nice.

25. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

I've found a nice store with those titles:

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/jazz-new-releases

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.