Small Faces box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belardd

belardd Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got this status update from Mick Taylor (SF facebook site) on the upcoming box set: [​IMG]

Hi all GREAT news on the new box set and the Autumn Stone (many thanks Tosh/Rob): Here we go:

Hi Mick, its been silent because we’ve been working flat out on the mixes for CD2 and 3 of the boxset – provisionally titled Small Faces in session at IBC and Olympic Studios. And I’m still recovering tapes…

For the boxset, Disc 1 will cover all the Immediate worldwide single A,B’s and EP’s – this is mastered (and for the first time, all the correct versions / edits etc are being used) as is Disc 5, which is comprised of original alternate takes and mixes plus live material from Newcastle. Mac and Kenney monitored these recently at Air Studios in London. We’re were also cutting lacquers for some special vinyl Record Store Day releases for 2013, including ‘There Are But Four Small Faces’.

The boxset packaging will be elaborate, including a hardback book containing definitive sleeve notes (10,000 plus words) and a track-by-track breakdown for every song on the boxset. There will be red, white and blue coloured vinyl, facsimile “Mystery” acetate, a facsimile Ogdens’ press kit, poster, art prints, postcards – can’t remember what else but the mock-up looks fantastic! Its all being put together by Rachel Gutek who did fine work on the recent Charly and Universal editions.

‘The Autumn Stone’ will appear later as a 2-CD edition with bonus material exclusive to that release plus a 180g 2LP vinyl.

I’ll also be writing something about the history of the tapes and the injustices they (and the band) have suffered over the years until we pulled everything together over these last 5 years or so. It’s been an interesting but worthwhile journey – no less than this incredible band deserves!

We’ll be previewing some previously unheard session takes on the Small Faces website shortly and they’ll be a special promo CD featuring highlights from the boxset which I want to make available to fans as part of a pre-order bonus. More details soon.

All the best ...Rob Caiger (Small Faces Remaster Series producer)

deus62 likes this.
  2. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Great news. Thanks for the update!!!

3. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Ooohhh!!! great stuff!! thank you for that update!

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I can't wait until he NRs the living **** out of those long lost tapes!

ThePoodleBites likes this.
  5. Ern

Ern Senior Member

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Thanks for the update. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of the plans for this set. It sounds like it will be an awful lot of fancy packaging (and no doubt an exorbitant price tag) but how much vital new material are we really going to get here? I don't get the impression that there are all that many great rarities on the cutting room floor, but I hope I'm mistaken.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

great news indeed !!!!

8. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I agree, so far the tidbits of information we've gotten have all been focused on touting the use of the original masters, the great packaging being prepared, and alternate mixes/versions. I haven't seen any mention of previously unreleased material being unearthed. Based on the deluxe editions, I don't think there is any unreleased material in existance. But, I'd be happy to be surprised.

9. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

In belardd's post there's mention of two full cds of sessions/work in progress/outtakes, etc.

10. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Yes, but I was talking about unreleased songs. Not just unreleased versions of songs that we already know. It's pretty clear that we're getting plenty of unreleased versions, but that isn't a huge draw for some of us.

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

any news on the set? cancelled?

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Will he necessarily do this? The Ogden's mono LP reissue sounds absolutely wonderful to me (god, I love the transition between "Afterglow" and "Long Ago..". Can't comment on the CD reissues though.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

A vinyl reissue of There Are But Four Small Faces will be issued on Record Store Day.

14. botley

botley Forum Resident

The deluxe CDs were indeed subjected to some pretty heavy NR, but it's not really too bothersome, unless you are dead-set against that kind of thing. No immediately identifiable audio artifacts, at least, just a bit less "air" in the treble compared to other issues of the same material.

15. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I never picked up the deluxe editions so I am hoping for this boxed set.

16. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

Last reports say it's only 4cd (not 5 as generally believed). The book and some vinyl are still in it. Release date sometime in May. Facebook users can get the full info on Mick Taylor's page.

No news on the previously announced Autumn Stone 2cd with exclusive material.

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

thanks Maclean

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I picked up the RSD vinyl pressing of There Are But Four Small Faces. It's worth getting, as it sounds really good! Much better than my US Immediate copy.

There is an insert in one of the RSD Small Faces 45's. It says the following:

Here Come The Nice - The Immediate Years Boxset 1967-1969 will be issued in May. (Per Maclean's post last month)

4 CDs remastered from the original master tapes for the first time ever. Every worldwide single A & B side & EPs. Rare and previous unrleased tracks. Alternate versions and live material. Hardback book with definitive sleeve notes. Rare & previously unpublished photos. New & archive interviews. Exclusive track-by-track guide to the Small Faces Immediate Records career. Lyrics. Collectors' edition colored vinyl with exclusive songs. Posters. Postcards. Art prints & more in a deluxe hard box!

Produced with the full co-operation and support of the Small Faces.

Supervisory producers: Kenney Jones & Ian McLagan

Question. How much do you think this bad boy is gonna cost??

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Thanks for the update and good question! Based on that description, I'm fearing for the worst where the price is concerned. It sounds like there will be lots of fancy packaging, but how much choice new material are we talking about here and how much will just be the same old same old? I'm not going to shell out $100+ just for some alternate takes of "Here Comes The Nice" and "The Universal". I love the Small Faces but I've never gotten the impression that there were tons of vital outtakes lurking in the vaults. But I hope that my skepticism is unfounded and this proves to be a worthwhile new set.

20. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm relatively new to the Small Faces, so the box is appealing to me, depending on the price. The only thing that bothers me, is the extra padding like postcards and posters, etc., which jacks up the price.

It seems like they (Kenney Jones) in particular, were in the process of recovering long lost tapes?

That being said, you make some excellent points.

22. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

If you get the Small Faces deluxe packages that came out this past year, you pretty much will have everything essential. The live material might be interesting, but the quality isn't that great, if it's the same stuff that's been released over the years.

23. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Four CDs plus "colored vinyl with exclusive songs"? :thumbsdow Four CDs holds five hours of music, there should be nothing exclusive about the contents of the vinyl IMO.

24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Charly label?? Be good if it has the 1969 Austrian gig. Not expecting too much form this box set.

25. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

You're complaining about getting additional stuff? You'd rather the record repeat material from the CDs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.