Who would you want to star in a remake of "The Thin Man"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scooterpiety, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis Thread Starter

Of course, the single most important element that made the "Thin Man" series of movies so good was the charisma and chemistry of its two stars, William Powell and Myrna Loy. Are there two actors today who could recapture the magic of this memorable duo in a modern version?

2. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

no,No,NO!
    William Powell and Myrna Loy were the Thin Man series.

pscreed likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah, this is a case where I don't think there can be any suitable replacement for the leads - and why should there be? We can still enjoy them today, no remakes necessary.

4. BradF

BradF Senior Member

I think Johnny Depp was in talks earlier this year for a remake. Pretty big shoes to fill. The follow-up film, After the Thin Man, is even more enjoyable and would be a better choice, imo, if you're gonna try a faithful adaptation. But, yeah, sacrilege.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Wouldn't want a remake of The Thin Man.

First, the roles belong to William Powell and Myrna Loy but moreover the amusingly sloshed schtick is integral and won't fly today. Without those elements you have a formula of an essentially witty mystery to create, which would better be attempted without the limitations of being an out of date remake The Thin Man.

6. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Powell and Loy were supporting cast. The star was Asta.

Oops- wait a sec. Was Asta in the movie(s) as well as the TV series?

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yes Asta was in the movies. Don't know the TV series. :)

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

There's some other Hammett that needs a big-screen period treatment. The Coen Brothers could do a great job with the Continental Op series, and I'd love to see someone take on Red Harvest.

If they want to do a remake, do The Glass Key. That one would work as a contemporary, nothing much has changed in politics.

I think Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd were the last great sleuthing duo, and that was on TV where this stuff probably belongs today.

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Amanda Seyfried

Yankee8156 likes this.
  10. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Late 50's. Truth be told, all I think remember of it is the voiceover actors' credits ".....and Asta, as Asta."

I also feel that a remake would be pointless at best, but have to say that Johnny Depp instantly popped into my head too for the Nick role. Probably because of his Jumpin' Jack Sparrow character.

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I hope it never gets remade.

Powell & Loy are peerless and I don't really want to see anyone else in the same roles. I also feel many of the elements that make the original series work would not translate well to the present day.

If forced at gunpoint to re-cast, not sure who would make a good male choice...someone like Elizabeth Banks (gifted comedienne and gorgeous) could probably pull off the Nora role.

12. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The Mysterious Press just published, for the first time, the follow-up Nick and Nora stories that Hammett wrote for Hollywood after the success of the first movie. The book is called Return of the Thin Man, and it includes two novellas, After The Thin Man and Another Thin Man. Got my copy from Amazon, but haven't read it yet. In the introduction, Hammett is quoted as being happy about how William Powell and Myrna Loy brought his characters to life.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

George Clooney and Debra Messing maybe?

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Paul Blart and Lindsey Lohan.

15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I love the originals so much. William Powell and Myrna Loy were fantastic.

But time does march on and everything old is new again. Drinking and getting drunk is not cool these days. Got to play down the idle rich on a lark element. And I don't think the cast of ex cons sent up the river bt Nicky, would play very well either

The film would have to be witty and sophisticated. I don't think there are too many witty movies around these days.

But I think with the right script and director Hugh Jackman & Kate Hudson could pull it off. Perhaps Robert Downey & Cameron Diez. Maybe Colin Firth & Renee Zellweger.

If they do it, don't yuck it up, make it stupid or use special effects. Make it so that it - it so good, that I don't want to leave the Theater so I can watch it again. Also make it so that I will want to see it again and drag my friends in to see it.

16. Scooterpiety

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Pierce Bronsnan and Debra Messing

18. marke

marke Forum Resident

I'll go left field and say David Tennant from Doctor Who and Emily Blunt.
    David has tons of charisma and I always like Emily Blunt in anything she's in.

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Brad and Anjoline.

20. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I happened to catch a few minutes of "I Love You Again" on TCM this weekend. Powell and Loy just had such great on screen chemestry. Both of them are genuinely funny too. It's hard to picture anyone being able to recreate that. If there was a remake it would probably end up like that remake of "Charade"...

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

A number of years ago, I was sick in bed for a day. TCM was running a Thin Man marathon. I would wake up watch a half hour and drift off to sleep. Thus I had no idea what the plots were. But just watching the two of them work together was a delight.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bradley Cooper- Scarlett Johansson

23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

As much I love the originals, I think this is a franchise that could potentially work as a remake. I would like to see it still set in the 1930s though as the timeframe is practically a character itself. I also don't think the hard-drinking aspect of the detectives would be so funny in a contemporary setting where it would be hard not to portray them as alcoholic or unprofessional/irresponsible. Plus you'd have to deal with smart phones and other modern technology that just couldn't tell the same story.

I don't know modern actors well to comment on the casting, but David Tennant as mentioned above strikes me as a good possibility.

24. Scooterpiety

The hard-drinking aspect was downplayed somewhat beginning with the third film of the series. I think a modern version could keep it at a similar level.
    So apparently Johnny Depp will appear as Nick and one of these eight actresses will portray Nora:

http://screenrant.com/thin-man-remake-nora-actresses-benm-162012/

I'll be curious to see the result, but I know the original won't be bettered.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bradley Cooper...Scarlet J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.