Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

Thanks. Good to know that it isn't worth seeking this out for those (like me) who don't read Japanese and therefore wouldn't want the booklet. If they had been pressed by a Japanese pressing plant it might be worth looking into.

2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Sadly these new pressings haven't eclipsed the older ones. My orange label Abbey Road will, to my ears, outshine the reissue.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm going to learn Japanese solely in order to read the booklet.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Everyone has different ears and opinions. I'm glad you have a copy you enjoy already.

5. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

Purely to make them responsible for their neglect. Nothing me aggravates me more than to see someone get away with something they shouldn't. They need to take care of the retailers...not looking for anything other than a quality product for myself. Don't want to see this One Bad Apple causing people like Amazon to change their policies based on this bad experience. (There's a song about that...LOL...sorry Sean...couldn't resist)

6. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

No misunderstanding. I just thought it was worth mentioning and it seemed like a reasonable follow-up to your post.

I am aware of your take on the remasters and appreciate your open ears. :righton:

7. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

At this point I have purchased all the individual LPs (except Meet the beatles, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be.
    All of mine are US pressings, purchased locally. On sale.
    So I played each one as i got them, and all are decent. Only a few very small warps. No scuffing. nothing like fill problems I can see or hear.
    So I am satisfied. The fact some EU copies are messed up, and the fact it will cost a fortune to send them back if messed up.. jeesh
    The theoretical arguing about digital files is like discussing angels dancing on pins. Either they sound OK or not OK, arguing is like useless. Done is done.
    Also, Anyone else ever watch the uTube videos of Jamaican LP pressing. The LPs are pulled off so warped it is a huge laugh, as the guy cuts off the excees from the edge, then throws the LP on a spindle. with the already 'done' pile of incredibly warped Rastafarian LPs.

And finally the best sounding 20122 pressing IMO is The White Album. It just rocks to my ears. (Better than the remastered CD, better than my Brit copy, and WAY better than an original# ed US copy)

stevenalejandro and kipper15 like this.
  8. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Good original pressings turn up all the time.
    Maybe more so now the new stuff is out and will satisfy the kiddies.:D

I was in my regular record store about a year ago and came across Abbey Road UK first pressing with a perfect uncreased shiny sleeve, black inner bag and a vinyl record that looked unplayed!! There was not a fingerprint, scuff, scratch or anything on it!!
    Now i have about 3 other copies of this, all UK etc, but i had to have this one.
    $50 bucks.
    It's my best copy - sounds wonderful.
    Now i do not know how it could have been out in the world for 40 years and be in such good condition- but it was.
    They are out there and they are worth it and it's nice when you come across them.
    Had the same experience with a 2 box Stereo Sgt.Pepper, also $50.

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Gotta get myself a copy like yours, have been holding off far too long.

10. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

"British teen records were mixed and mastered to sound good on really bad kiddie phonographs." Steve Hoffman

These remasters must be made for adults with adult systems, I suppose.:)

Spek likes this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I can't believe you haven't already learned Japanese solely to read your obis

spindly likes this.
  12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, Amazon calculations for the delivery were right.
    My boxset has arrived (to local post-office) tomorrow after work I will go and get it.

imarcq and jamiesjamies like this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I posted this on my facebook page earlier...

Today's thought: Apple Records, owner of the Beatles catalog for my non-audio friends, should act more like Apple the computer company. The latter spends lots of time making sure its product is perfect and always has fresh ideas. It is totally customer-centric (hey, I had to throw in a consulting buzzword somewhere!) yet it can charge a premium for its products. Apple Records seems to be aimin
    g for the mainstream with quality that is just good enough for most. But I have always thought more highly of the Beatles catalog - that it is a special part of our musical heritage and a very unique combination of talent. This music is worth spending the time and money to issue the best possible LPs and those would be all analog transfers from the master tape. Even if all-analog transfers took longer, that would just create mini-events that would help record sellers. I think if Steve Jobs were running Apple Records that is what he would do. Apple Records has done some innovative things like the Beatles mono box of CDs which had extremely high production value or the USB stick or the Love DVD-Audio. So some fresh ideas are there.

Apple with its iPads and Macs has embraced a view of "let's make the best possible product, support it with great service, and our customers won't mind paying a premium. Apple Records seems to be in old school "command and control" mode where it is all about getting the surviving Beatles and their families to sign off on something that is "good enough" for the masses. I think the latter philosophy is a path to financial loss as the Customer is King and they hate seeing a bad product and have many substitution paths for spending scarce entertainment dollars. The Beatles catalog deserves better.

14. alanb

alanb Senior Member

That's right - The Beatles where just a kiddie band.:D

The remasters - on vinyl - i think it is becoming apparent that they seem to be satisfying a lot of people who have no Beatles vinyl or bad copies of the stuff.
    Those that have the original UK presses in good condition seem to still be satisfied with them.
    Of course there are exceptions.
    As long as everyones happy with what they've got - then that's just peachy.

third likes this.
  15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No, those of us with the UK pressings are not happy.

16. emkay

emkay Senior Member

As a matter of fact, they are also satisfying a lot of people with AMAZING copies of the stuff. I don't really think they do the same job as the original pressings.

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Not just original pressings. Even some of us that have later UK pressings from the '70s/'80s are satisfied with them.

18. alanb

alanb Senior Member

:p Well yes i know what you mean - i am disappointed to that the boys never got the treatment they deserved.:shake:

19. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Oh yes those too!!
    2 box stuff etc is FAB!!:D

MikeP5877 likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Orange label Abbey Road? Are you referring to the Capitol pressing?

21. third

third Well-Known Member

half speed cutting

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm happy with the sound of them and I have plenty of UK pressings.

kipper15 likes this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I got the LP box but haven't opened it. I'm not certain I will, either. I've got the CDs and the original LPs. What to do .... what to do ...

24. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Instead of comparing these to the coveted UK first pressings that few have the privilege of hearing in the grand scheme of things, how about to the original US pressings. They are more than plentiful (more than sellers would like us to believe, same with the UK pressings for that matter) and US pressings in general were all US customers were able to enjoy. Not all got imports and BC-13s. In the UK, these new Remasters have an apparently impossible standard to meet. In the US, these most likely will provide an upgrade. Good Beatles vinyl don't begin and end with UK, German, and Japanese vinyl.

ckturtle likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Actually it does. And I like some of my Capitol pressings, mainly the early stuff. The later albums sound not so good compared to....just about everything else, vinyl and CD.

Like I said above, I'm satisfied with my later two-box UK pressings and all can be found pretty easily, and probably even for a lower price than the new remasters.

So rather than keep fixating like a broken record (no pun) about "unattainable vinyl" or whatever, why don't you try a later UK pressing and then report back.

LeeS and alanb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.