Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

No offense Lee, but I don't think time and money constraints were an issue with these remasters, at all. I believe Sean explained, in detail, the reasons why the albums were remastered the way they were. Time had nothing to do with using digital masters and not the original analogue tapes. I'm sure the original tapes are kept in good condition, but re-using them every few years could prove disaterous. Just ask Sony about the masters for Simon & Garfunkel and The Byrds.

And if I may... I think there's a "few" folks who are NOT pleased with the latest Iphones and mini tablets. from Apple LOTS of umm, issues with them... including designing a new adapter (rendering ALL others obsolete), poor maps, wonky headphone jacks, etc. Just saying... Ron

Spek and kipper15 like this.
  2. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Ditto. What he said.

I have around 200 or so UK Beatles LPs (just of the core catalogue) and I LOVE these new albums.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Capitol LP's have their own charm, especially the earlier ones - reverb and all. :hide: But generally I enjoy the UK versions more as they sound "cleaner" in general. With that in mind, I usually put the Capitol LP's at the bottom of the sonics pile, then the 1987 CD's, then the 2009 CD's, then it's a toss up (imo) between these remasters and a BC13. I don't have any UK first pressings to compare these to, nor do I plan to.

I'm probably closer to "Joe Consumer", in that case. I have heard a BC13, but generally my experience with the Beatles has been US LP's/CD's only.

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Open it. What are you waiting for? You know you want to :D

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Like those glorious late 70s White Albums with thick glossy (side-opening obviously) sleeves, and anything from 4 x -1 sides or a mixture of other early sides. Often in almost new condition & not that rare, the sound is bloody heavenly on my -1/-1/-3/-1. I never play the earlier version I have.

6. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

The Capitol Mono MMT would like a word with you.

I actually do have a couple UK pressings and they do sound good but UK pressings being conveniently "rarer" and more expensive leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Thanks, yes that one is great. An exception to the rule.

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

IMHO I think any comparison with previous vinyl releases - regardless of where they were pressed - is futile. I really do.

These have been mastered with a different objective in mind, as Sean Magee has pointed out on this forum and elsewhere.

I'll say this again: people should do what I have done - listen to them and ENJOY them for what they are!

ckturtle likes this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I do want to. I will!

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The sooner you open them the sooner you'll get your replacement albums. :D

alanb and Thurenity like this.
  11. third

third Well-Known Member

We worked using the 192/24 transfers. I took a couple of tracks from tape although I can't remember which. As for the HF, there is enough there in the right places, certainly some that isn't on some of the original vinyls, or not apparent i should say particularly in the inner diameter. Caputring that little bit of "air" wasn't what it ws all about in those days. Vinyl was pretty much the only medium in those days.

The SX68 cutter head stopped at around 16kHz, that was the predessor to the 74, ealier heads would have been less responsive potentially (no pun intended ) - interesting eh?

correction of earlier posts...25kHz is the ceiling on a 74

spindly, Leigh, imarcq and 3 others like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That's one of the reasons I've been holding off. Seriously. Pandora's Box.

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Yes.

14. Apple Maps.

15. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

What is the highest quality music file available in the iTunes store?

16. One big surprise is printing quality. Not all so great. Back of revolver looks like a xerox as does Beatles for sale. What's up with that? The book is awesome so why the inconsistency with some of the sleeves?

17. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I played side 2 of PM on the headphones, a split second before the cowbell comes in on "I Call Your Name" you hear the fader / mic open up. It was a fun, almost goosebump moment. If you get a well pressed copy of this release you will be thrilled. The bell sounds like metal, the vocal sounds like flesh and spit.

18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I think you're right, and that lack of coloration & compression is freaking people out. If one of these pressings sounds "dark" to you, turn it up! The dark goes away replaced by dynamics and a great tonal balance. This said, some will still complain about the clicks & distortion removed from "I Want You", narrowed stereo on "A Hard Day's Night" and some other edits that raised controversy when these digital masters were prepared 3 years ago.

kipper15 likes this.
  19. third

third Well-Known Member

This is also interesting from wiki hydrogen audio

" There are rarely, if ever, any ultrasonic frequencies for vinyl to preserve. In audio recordings, such frequencies, when present, are normally low-energy noise imparted by electrical equipment and storage media used during recording, mixing, and mastering. Although some musical instruments can produce low-energy overtones in the ultrasonic range, they could only be on the vinyl if every piece of equipment and storage medium in the recording, mixing, and mastering stages was able to preserve them—which is unlikely even in modern recordings, since the average microphone or mixing console is designed only with audible frequencies in mind. Even if the overtones were preserved all the way to the mastering stage, mono and stereo lacquer cutting equipment typically includes a lowpass filter to avoid overheating the cutting head with ultrasonic frequencies.

Finally, on top of all of these issues, there is simply no scientific evidence that frequencies beyond the 22 kHz limit of CD audio are audible to any known group of people, or that such frequencies affect anyone's perception of the audible range. "

Yosi, Blueshirt, Spek and 7 others like this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I only have the new Pepper but it is a very enjoyable record (apart from the slightly ****** up pressing), on its own or compared to all my other UK/GER versions. It's smooth and clear with not a trace of inner groove distortion. I might get a WTB next even though I wasn't planning to at all, it seems to get the thumbs up on here (pressing crap aside).

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Point taken. :)

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sounds like to me that the edit of I'll Cry Instead was smoothened out. It is very obvious on the original.

23. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

Is that a good thing? LOL

24. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Apple has a history of changing gears and dropping support of old tech rather abruptly. Their new products are great looking, but re-issuing old tech is another matter entirely.

My guess, in this hypothetical scenario of yours? Apple would know that there's money to be made, so they would certainly re-issue Beatles music. But first of all they wouldn't use vinyl - they'd use digital downloads with "Apple LP" liners only. And CD's? You can forget about ever seeing another CD reissue again (remember, their new MBP's don't even have optical drives anymore). As for analog versus digital, there's no question that they'd use digital as it's new tech - why keep the old analog hardware? LP's themselves would probably get a modern facelift too, so no replicas. Lastly, assuming they'd have the clout to do this, they'd force the remaining Beatles to sign off on remixes and quietly phase out the old masters.

You assume that most customers care about all-analog pressings, and keeping the original mixes intact. But the fact is that they don't - this is evident just in the fact that US customers had no problem accepting the UK albums in the 1980's, even though they spent more than 20 years with the old US lineup. Apple would know this and they'd do what they'd think would sell, and digital downloads with remixed masters would definitely sell.

25. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Cmon, Lee, you know better than probably anyone here that both of these company's exist at this point only to server the needs of their shareholders. And the only numbers those shareholders are interested in have $ signs in front of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.