Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The Japanese SACD is not an SHM disc. I have not compared the two yet. For now, the MFSL disc is in the player and I am enjoying it.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought the two previous MFSL discs are mono and the Japan discs stereo so comparing would be of little use.

3. KeithH

Correct. I was thinking In A Silent Way above, where that doesn't apply.

4. nesyarug

nesyarug Forum Resident

You are right, they are not SHM. Apologies for the confusion.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Is the MFSL SACD of In a Silent Way the original mix or the Mark Wilder remix?

The original Sony SACD stereo layer had the remix.

6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I prefer the MFSL SACD of Round About Midnight to the Sony SACD. It sounds more natural and less bright to me. Both are mono mixes. The Sony SACD does contain bonus tracks that the MFSL does not, so I'm keeping both.

7. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

For those who don't have 35DP70, this MFSL SACD of "In A Silent Way" strikes me as the best digital version out there to date. I compared the new MFSL SACD and the 35DP70 CD back to back and the differences, such as they are, are very small. In fact, some listeners may find them indistiguishable. Of course, anyone who's had to shell out big bucks for the Japanese CD will vehemently claim that it is superior! :D In any case, this new SACD from MoFi is quite good and certainly deserves mention with the best. I didn't bother comparing the new SACD to the US and Japanese SACDs because I consider 35DP70 to be the best version prior to this new SACD. Considering the excellence of "Milestones" and "Round About Midnight," this MoFi SACD series is off to a superb start. I've yet to be disappointed.

poolie likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Carl do you have the Mosaic Complete Silent Way Sessions by any chance? I have the vinyl in that set and it sounds great to me (IMO better than the original US vinyl pressing), not sure if I should get the MFSL or not.

9. carledwards

Yes, I certainly do. The vinyl version is, indeed, very good.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The MFSL SACD of Round About Midnight might be the best digital version, but I still which Shawn Britton tamed Miles trumpet a little more.

11. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

So the MFSL SACD of In a Silent Way is the original mix then? I assume the 35DP has the original mix.

12. carledwards

Yes.

13. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Are you sure about this? If I remember correctly, the credits on the back of the original SACD are not entirely clear about the mix being used and there was a previous thread about the IASW SACD were some members stated that the stereo layer of their original SACD had the original mix.

14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You guys are lucky to have these so early. I thought next year was the release date.

15. AVphile

AVphile Forum Resident

Huh?

16. KeithH

I assume he meant "wish" instead of "which".

17. AVphile

AVphile Forum Resident

Ah got it (was confused by the Shawn Britton reference). I'm sticking with my Sony SACD for this one (Round About Midnight) as it seems they haven't "fixed" that tonal issue and I'm OK with the rest of it.

I do look forward to getting Milestones and maybe KoB if there's any improvement at all.

As for Silent Way, I'm done triple dipping on this one... Sony SACD, Complete Sessions, etc.

18. KeithH

I have no issues with Miles' trumpet on the MFSL 'Round About Midnight SACD.

As for In A Silent Way, I get your point, but the MFSL SACD is very good.

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

to anyone who has the MFSL, SRCS 9726 Japanese Mastersound and the version included with the Complete Columbia 2009 boxset, which version do you prefer and why?

20. Trainspotting

Is there a mono version of Kind of Blue on CD?

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No.

CBackley likes this.
  22. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

How do all these versions compare to the Mosaic box set (Davis/Coltrane complete columbia recordings) which contains all the KOB sessions?

23. Trainspotting

Pity. You'd think there'd be a market for that then. I'd buy it.

CBackley likes this.
  24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I'd jump on that too, wonder if the master tape is in good condition for such a project?

25. KeithH

I have to believe there would be plenty of interest. I'd order it instantly.

Along the same lines, we need a mono CD or SACD of Time Out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.