Why make SACD hybrids CDs ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ilvemusc, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilvemusc

Ilvemusc New Member Thread Starter

Just as the title says , why do they make SACD hybrid CDs . It seems to me that if you just had only a redbook CD player , you would only buy a redbook cd of whatever title you wanted and save a lot of money . Likewise, if you had a SACD player , why not just buy a single layer SACD CD . It seems to me that it would be cheaper to make a single layer SACD disc which the savings could be past on to the consumer . I know this seems like a dumb question , but I sure would like to know the reason as to why they make these hybrid CDs .

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

A lot of us have server based systems as well as SACD players so it works out well for us...we have the SACD layer for when we want to play the physical product and get the extra resolution- and because there is a redbook layer we are able to rip it to our hard drive and can listen to it that way as well. Best of both worlds.

carledwards and SBurke like this.
  3. warren

warren Forum Resident

To appeal to both markets, therefore selling more units?

If your question is why buy hybrid SACDs, then my answer is: Maybe someday I will buy an SACD player that is less "budget" than my current one. Then, all those hybrids on which I enjoy the redbook layer currently, I'll get the same mastering with more resolution later. Just in case...

And what noname74 said as well. Best of both worlds. The masterings I want will cost that much anyways. They might as well have the extra resolution on one layer and the "rippability" of the redbook on another.

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

A lot of people want to play an album on their main audiophile system, and also play the album on a car journey too.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Same for me , also i have my SACD player on my "big" system & have smaller systems around the house that only play standard cd's ...... so it's better than having to buy an album twice .

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Oppo 103 @ Home.
    Computer rip @ the office.

7. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

A good way to have a single inventory disc offering content in both standard (PCM 16/44, 2.0) & high (DSD64, 2.0 & 5.1) audio resolutions.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree with the "best of both worlds" comments and see it as a way to "future-proof" the collection. I know that during the first few years of SACD I only bought hybrids because I didn't know if I'd ever have a dedicated SACD player. With hybrids, there was no reason NOT to get the SACDs...

apileocole likes this.
  9. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Trying to imagine someone playing e.g. Talk Talk SACD "on a car journey"...

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Funny you should mention that, but I play The Colour Of Spring SACD (CD layer) regularly in my car.:)

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Create a legal hassle with the artists on whether or not they get paid twice on royalties.

12. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Rich men can do weird things :)
    I just mentioned this as an example of $200 SACD.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The hybrids were a way to get people to buy into SACD. It just didn't work out because there just wasn't a big demand for SACD, and Sony charged too much to license the chip. If Sony had just licensed the technology for free, who knows what could have happened.

And, yeah, that double royalty thing was a big problem for getting product out there.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They weren't always that price you know.

15. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Biggest blunder Sony ever made.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Among many. Remember the Betamax? Worse yet, I read that Sony actually invented what became the VHS format, but sold it to JVC.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I bought right into SACDs slightly after the start. I was never in favour of the hybrid disc, because it was more expensive to make, slowed output, made it harder to create the laser because it had to read the semi-transmissive layer rather than a fully reflective layer, was more time consuming to master, and (later on) had licencing implications. I have never played the Redbook layer on any hybrid disc I own (I must have 700 or so), but I often have the CD of the title in case I want to rip it. No car requirements.

I'm not arguing some sonic superiority, nor do I consider that these arguments cannot be countered. But I do prefer non-hybrids.

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

They should've been hybrid from the beginning. I own about 40 SACDs, and only one of them are not hybrid.

19. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Yep, that's about the way I feel, too.

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Why would you want it any other way?

21. Maybe to make them "future proof" for people who currently only have standard CD players but may buy an SACD player in the near future. That would've been my answer 10 years ago, but now I can't see the point in releasing SACD's at all (hybrid or not), as the format seems to be dead, if it was ever properly alive in the first place. I realise there are a lot of people on here who are still interested in the format, but I mean it seems a dead format commercially.

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Well someone is making money on these since AP, Mofi and now AF are selling them as they aren't in the charity business.

23. I think the plan by Sony was for the entire industry to eventually adopt the hybrid SACD as the mainstream consumer choice for Pop music and phase out redbook CDs. That's why they pressed so many of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon SACD, to totally replace the regular CD version at retail. Sadly, consumers and even other music labels with their own interests did not respond.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why not! I love having both formats on one disc!

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am one of those rare folks so incredibly wealthy that I have more than one CD player, but they do not all play SACDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.