Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Eat mor chikin! :tiphat:

I'm glad you other guys aren't in charge of album cover design. The cow isn't an award-winner, but at least it's not yet another small-effort FZ face portrait – what's that now, umpteen? And that Edison boot? Please.

Sure, the cow relates to Frank. It's got the 'stache, and a map of Italy. What else d'ya need? :laugh:

2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Speaking of which, has anything post-Lather ever been OFFICIALLY released on vinyl? I keep encountering Lumpy Money, MOFO and (last weekend at the record fair in Utrecht, Holland) a vinyl copy of Ahead Of Their Time, made in Japan apparently. Are these all boots?

3. I hope your right. Those doubts arise from the lack of information and communication on behalf of the ZFT. Additionally I still see not much (if any) PR and advertising though this is what I would call a huge reissue campain of a huge catalogue. Even the dealers don't invest in information about what they could sell as they would with every other artist's output.

I know many occasional FZ listeners who don't visit forums and such, who to this day don't know that there are reissues. Everything could be so easy with just information. They could clear things up forever with just telling what, when and why. And they could sell much more.

What was the title of that magazine? "Frank Zappa - America's Best Kept Secret" or something alike?

Thinman

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

So there is no 2012 release of 200 Motels? Is there a #13 in the new series?

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

#13 has of course been reserved for 200 Motels but I'm not sure if we'll see a reissue this year. Thankfully I found a brand new Ryko version for $25 shipped last week :)

6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I like the album cover with the cow. And considering the new Lather tracklist, I plan on to holding on to my original copy. I bought it only a few months ago.

7. therockman

Thank you for your reply. A have a few stupid questions that I like to ask because I am re-visiting the entire Zappa catalog and I need to know where I stand. My next stupid question; is there a 2012 release of Civilization Phasze 3?

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The original release of CPIII is still available to order from Barfko Swill, so I think it will not be rereleased.

9. therockman

Thanks again for all of the advice and information. One more stupid question; do I need to keep any of my Greatest Hits Compilations. I have Cheap Thrills, (but not the Son Of Cheap Thrills, do Ineed it?), Have I offended Someone and Strictly Commercial. Do any of these compilations contain unique mixes or any other material that I should keep, or should I just abandon these discs? Thanks for any info in advance.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Have I Offended Someone? is a comp FZ prepared and it has unique mixes. It was reissued this year (no changes reported compared to the Ryko).

I believe there is a single mix or two on Strictly Commercial. Nothing unique on Cheap Thrills or Son Of... as far as I know.

11. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I was looking for this one, too. However, I don't see it for sale on Barko Swill.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't see it today, either. Occasionally CDs disappear from their site, presumably when they are temporarily out of stock, and they reappear later.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yep - all boots: avoid. And; no - nothing post-'Lather' has been officially released on vinyl. The vinyl reissue of 'Hot Rats' has been the only official vinyl release in ages.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Except the recent "Big Leg Emma" 7" reissue.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ah, yes! Right you are.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Nor do I.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I was gonna ask this question as a 'poll thread', but chickened out, so I'm gonna ask it here:
    Now that the new re-issue of "Hot Rats" is out, will you put your Ryko version in chronological order in your collection. By that, I mean move it to 1987 or will you leave it next to the new one?

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My Zappa collection is relatively small (only from Freak Out to Weasels, that's the period I like best) but I'd prefer to keep the "official release" number system in order so I'll leave my Ryko Hot Rats down at the end.

Maybe I should just get a double jewel case and put both discs in one case and conserve that valuable space on the shelf. It's not like the Ryko packaging needs to be preseved, other than for sake of nostalgia.

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Has anybody in EU-region found good prices for the last 3 titles (Läther, Finer Moments & Road Tapes #1)?

Amazon.de has them on preorder but prices are a bit high (Läther 40.99€, FM 22.99€ & RT#1 34.51€)
    Amazon.co.uk currently lists only Läther but it has even higher price(£38.81~48.10€).

I bet that closer to release-dates theres lots more shops selling these ones.
    I suppose I wont put them on preorder and have to patiently wait for the releases first.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, seems that good googling can found some better deals inside EU.
    Just for example Jpc.de offers the prices for Läther (29.99€) and Finer Moments (26.99€).

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I put the two side by side - 'Uncle Meat' followed by 'Hot Rats' (original mix) followed by 'Hot Rats' (remix) followed by 'Burnt Weeny Sandwich'.

But trying to figure out where to file 'Lather' (it moves from before 'In New York' to after 'Orchestral Favorites' to after 'FZ Plays' and back again) or 'Lumpy Money Project/Object' (should it go after 'Lumpy Money' or after 'Joe's Menage?) can be a bit more complicated.

22. I bought myself a double CD jewel case and put both mixes in the one case along with the inserts from the 2012.

23. cousineerie

cousineerie New Member

Snagged a Ryko Lost Episodes after hearing about the edited booklet. Any other examples?

Mothermania is currently (11/30/12 @1:20pst) "product under review" at Amazon.

24. I'm pretty sure there is a nasty edit/glitch on the new version of Joe's Garage during Watermelon In Easter Hay at the point where the solo ends and the clean guitar comes back in (5:53?). On the older Ryko version and the Frank Zappa Plays The Music Of Frank Zappa CD this edit is absolutely smooth. I can't check the vinyl at the moment.

Does anybody else notice the problem?

Thinman

25. soop.broth

soop.broth Forum Resident

Mystery Disc is the one that has truncated liner notes. Where did you hear about Lost Episodes being chopped?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.