Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed it. Please see my earlier post:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tered-and-reissued-part4.302020/#post-8263212

This is a sample from the track (5:50-5:56):
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/37dzxz

Thinman, is this noise the one you referred to?

Also, someone in the Zappa.com forum reported this problem too:
    http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23796&sid=7535a086facebbef89714d46be97870d

Curiously enough, he also downloaded the same track from iTunes, and it turned out to be OK.

One possibility is that this glitch can be only found on the EU pressing of the CD. Mine is made in EU, and probably Thinman got it in EU too (according to his location info). Does anyone have the US pressing of JG?

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I've got the US pressing. It's not there.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

4. Yeah, I don't know how many different runs there are from each continent, but the problem seems to be limited to the EU version as far as one can tell by now.

Th.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Läther has good price on Amazon.co.uk, its currently £13.20~$21.16

6. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

Thanks! It surely sounds smooth and has no problem.

The comparison of the two samples made me wondering more. Not only the sample from the EU pressing has the glitches, but also its entire waveform is different from the one from the US pressing! (I used a binary check tool and found that they are not bit-perfect, even when their start points are aligned.)

Now I suspect that the EU pressings of this 2012 reissue series have some additional remastering applied, which caused glitches on some releases.

In my earlier post, I've already uploaded two samples of the glitch from WRMF (My Guitar, 1:30-1:36) and Fillmore East (Bwana Dik, 2:16-2:21), each of which are preceded by the 1990 Ryko version.
    WRMF: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yg9m5d (playback speed is 50%)
    Fillmore East: http://www.sendspace.com/file/da1mi5

Could anyone upload flac files of the same portions from the US pressings? Thanks in advance.

7. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

8. In the case of My Guitar and Bwana Dik I honestly have to admit that I don't know what you mean. I don't hear anything that qualifies as glitch, bad edit, or tape damage to my ears. The 2012 Bwana Dik has one bass note that is more present in the 2012 version and in the case of My Guitar, do you mean the trumpet (?) note right before the guitar solo or what?

The problem in Watermelon is very obvious and is really a problem which disturbs the listening. Usually I fall asleep during Act 3 of JG and this bad edit (yes, it sounds more like a bad edit than a glitch to me) wakes me up suddenly and very unpleasently ;-).

Th.

9. @Jetlag1: I just double checked my EU CDs for the spots you pointed out for Bwana Dik, My Guitar and Packard Goose. I can hear absolutely no problems there. With the exception that what Dale Bozzio says there always sounded more like "cotton" than "currently". That was already the case on the original 1979 vinyl record.

Th.

10. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

Thank you very much!

In both samples, unfortunately, I still hear the same glitches. So they are on the US pressings, too. I'll compare them with the ones from my EU pressings to check if there is any additional remastering applied to the latter...

11. Can you be sure that the files are not resampled or otherwise altered? I don't think there is additional or different mastering.

12. Jetlag1

Jetlag1 Forum Resident

More specifically on the glitches that aren't found on earlier versions -

My Guitar: at 1:34, just before the acoustic guitar solo, the last E note of sax (probably sped-up with tape manipulation) has a noise (tape warble?). Please check the above-mentioned sample I uploaded, which might help you find out.

Bwana Dik: at 2:18, during the last word "it", there's a small pop.

Packard Goose: at 3:37, when Dale says "resurgence", the "-sur-" seems to have a tape warble. Also at 5:19, during the guitar solo, I can hear something like a turntable scratch (more prominently from the right channel).

Watermelon: Both of us notice the big noise at 5:53. Then, can you hear the little "pop" at 5:51 of the same track?

Having said that, I can understand that most people think it's no problem, since these "glitches" are very subtle for sure. Probably only some nerdish hardcore fanatics (including me), who have listened to the Zappa albums a few thousands times, can notice these little differences. (If my posts have ruined your listening pleasure - my apologies.)

13. Very good ears! Now I hear it, too. Not a big problem, though. Maybe just a little tape wear.

Dto.

Here I can hear nothing like what you describe.

Yes, you are right. The one at 5:51 is almost as intense as the one at 5:53. Both seem to be part of the same problem. This doesn't sound like some wear on the analog tape but like a real digital glitch or editing mistake (if editing was neccessary for this remastering).

I think the one on Watermelon is really a problematic digital error which alters the flow of the music. The other ones could be "normal" tape wear (because of age) and nothing I would call a problem, because it is hardly noticebale.

Thinman

14. If that's what I am thinking, I was familiar with that note/noise from your sample from the very beginning, without having ever thought it was something freakish or unwanted like a glitch... Is it, right when the sped-up sax finishes, and right before the acoustic guitar solo's first note, that loud, "tooting horn"-like noise? Like one of those pressurized air can screamers to scare away bears in the woods or burglars?... I've always thought that was an intentional noise, a segue or stage cue of sorts, like one can hear I think in a few Mothers performances from that era...

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

16. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Just a quick note on the samples I posted...I haven't even listened to them (yet)! o_O

I don't think they're being called into question, but FYI they are completely untouched sans converting FLAC to WAV and trimming to time in Audition (at 16-bit; not 32-bit float). All files were ripped from the noted Zappa CD utilizing XLD in test/CRC-comparison mode (i.e. verified bit-for-bit accurate).

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just compared my EU Joe's to a copy of the US version that my friend sent me, the glitch is definitely only on the EU version.

In my other comparisons, so far Freak Out, Money and Over-nite Sensation are bit identical when comparing EU and US versions. My only other EU pressings are Apostrophe and One Size, which I'm ripping to compare now.

18. Harlanator

Harlanator Forum Resident

I can't keep track of this thread, bt was the Grand Wazzo glitch ever corrected and is there a proven source to acquire the corrected version? What about the version being sold on the Zappa website, it that a corrected version? Apologies if this has been addressed authoritatively earlier in the thread. And much obliged.

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Apostrophe and One Size EU CDs match the US CDs.

Looks like the only one I need to replace is Joe's Garage.

The Grand Wazoo on Amazon is the corrected version, but they want way too much for it. Get the EU version instead, no glitches on that one.

20. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

I have only EU versions. so does this mean that I have to buy JG again to get it without glitch? Where could I order the US version?

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

22. mrbooboy

mrbooboy Forum Resident

I ordered Grand Wazoo and Greasy Love Songs from the Zappa site about a week ago. Greasy Love Songs shipped right away...Grand Wazoo still hasn't. Appears to be backordered as it is on most other sites.

23. No. Read post #112 again.

24. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

25. In a normal world they would have to replace it without any extra cost. I would call the second EU disc of JG defective because of the big glitch. In my opinion this can't be discussed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.