Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I wonder if they sub-contracted out? I asked this question before but nobody seems to know the answer. How common is it (for example) RTI to put work out to other companies for pressing (ie Rainbo) as they had intended to do for this Beatles job had they got it?

2. motefuzz

motefuzz Member

I'm just gonna say it... Maybe Amoeba hasn't had any mass Beatles returns because the people that routinely return LPs because they don't find the pressing quality up to snuff shop at other record stores that they slowly put out of business because its nigh-impossible to send back records to distributors anymore? Or maybe just online retailers because then you don't even have to SEE the person whose day you're ruining.

3. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

My favorite B&M told me 50% of the stock was returned....something like 12 records.

4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Imarcq, ever read popmarket's facebook page? Haven't been able to use them as they don't seem reliable.

5. imarcq

I've bought LOTS of things from them without a problem. Some have been such a good deal. Sometimes they take their time to ship. But it's always turned up. I've seen the facebook page too. Don't forget that satisfied customers rarely ever post thanks. I haven't yet! Read the thread here in Popmarket to get a feel for it. I can understand how easy it is to worry about what can go wrong. Also look at the post in this thread from another forum member just a few pages back who ordered from Popmarket, and got an EU set in the proper box within only a few days. I guess you pay your money and take your chance. But is is Sony so you know they are not gonna keep your money or anything nasty :)

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Well...despite all my tough talking earlier in this thread...I went ahead and ordered BFS and MMT from Amazon and both sound lovely....perfectly flat and free of noise. I guess what imarcq said above is true, "you pay your money and take your chances."

imarcq likes this.
  7. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

That's just an abbreviated form of Michael, sort of affectionate more than anything else? I can't understand anybody thinking it implies hostility or anything like that. If MF were a Spanish footballer, he'd have 'Mikey' on his shirt not 'Fremer' just like Barca's Francesc Fabregas has 'Cesc' on his. Way off topic, sorry!

imarcq likes this.
  8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

9. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Yes, price is very attractive, but what does one do with the defective lbums - and I'm sure there will be some. Did anybody get any exchanges from the Capitol or EMI USA yet? There was a lot of posts here on emails to and from EMI. Happy Holidays anyway!

10. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Here's a clever idea:

LeeS and imarcq like this.
  11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm sure some or all of the albums will be defective. I'll try the Capitol/EMI return, or I'll just buy the UK titles indivdually. I had some gift cards so I'm out no actual cash on the set anyway.

12. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Xa-xa! That IS a great idea!!!

13. MikeyVan

MikeyVan MoFaux Fraudelity Scam Labs Digi-Vinyl fan

The end result will still be less warped than some of my (Rainbo) Beatles LPs!

Happy Holidaze and Merry Cliffmas to all

Turntable likes this.
  14. imarcq

It's NEVER off topic to get 'proper' football squeezed into a forum thread lol :) Call me Marky on my Spanish Footy Shirt haha

15. imarcq

OK I'm sorted for novelty unwanted xmas gifts for the next 100 years or so now...can I put my nuts in it? lol....:wiggle:

16. Maxio098ui

Maxio098ui New Member

So I really wanted to not get any of them, but I broke down and got my favorite album of all time. Got me a pepper, and brought it home. First thing to say is that I am living in The Netherlands, so this one is EU. Second is that the packaging is great! everything fit fine and the cutouts and psych inner are very nice. Also nice having the liner notes.

Now on to the state of the vinyl. Perfectly flat, all well centered, I like the yellow on black labels and such. So I put the record on and right away the left channel has some static which went on for most songs, loud songs it is inaudible but Lucy and Little Help From it is audible, it sometimes spills into the right channel, The sound was fine. Then I turned it round and took a listen to the other side. I was shocked to find dead silence followed by of the clearest vinyl I have heard. Beautiful music and I like the mix a lot, I like the mono better but for a stereo mix I really like it. The second side was so good that i just had to give the first side another chance. Gone was nearly all the noise somehow. But I don't care why, I'm just glad this was a well spent 25 euros :)

imarcq likes this.
  17. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

There are 8-10 like this in my EU box.

imarcq likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Same here for 17 of the 18 US sides I bought. Ironically, the dud in the group was also Sgt. Pepper's, side 1.
    The replacement US copy my seller gave me is perfect on both sides.

imarcq likes this.
  19. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Well, to add to my continuing problems with this release. My Amazon.UK order for a white album is now a week overdue...:sigh:

Anyway I wish everyone

Happy Holidays!

20. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

I just noticed that about three weeks ago Ron asked in this post for someone from Bull Moose or another store to chime in about vinyl returns. Yes, as other people have said, your retailer generally has to eat the cost of defective vinyl.

It's generally pretty rare, so it's not a big deal. We probably spend more on receipt paper than on defective vinyl. It's just part of the cost of doing business and people seldom abuse it. All defects come to our office and the person who handles them shows me the questionable ones. I think the only time I saw something that looked bogus was when somebody obviously used a car key to slit the sticker on a 7" and scratched the heck out of it. They got their refund anyway.

Sometimes, if there's a screw-up that even people with $80 USB turntables will notice, a vendor will make an exception and reimburse us. I don't know if that will be the case here. The dishing and no fill issues that drive people here nuts are too subtle for most people to notice. We didn't even get all that many back considering how many sold.

I hope that answers the question.

Chris

Spek, zefa and vonwegen like this.
  21. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

If ya stick an order in for White Album at Amazon UK you'll get it today for £25.74 +shipping.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Defective vinyl isn't uncommon. I think most of the faults people complain about on this forum should be audible on a cheap USB TT providing the buyer is actualy listening to vinyl on something other than computer speakers and not just needle dropping. I suspect your low return rate is due to people buying mainly for the coolness and look and having been ingrained with ecpectations of pop and crackle. That is a view of vinyl that so called audiophiles are aware is untrue. By 'audiophiles' I mean people who stuck with vinyl for its truly superior fidelity through the bad times and are prepard to put up with the odd minor blemish. Also you can't tell defective vinyl by looking in most instances these days. Bad looking surfaces play clean and clean looking surfaces have repetitive clicks and crackly or swooshy fill issues. On the other hand I do diplore posters on here that return vinyl for the likes of so called 'finger prints' that are inaudible and marginaly 'off centre' pressings.

Bull Moose likes this.
  23. struttincool

Marginal?? If you can see it clearly with the naked eye it ain't marginal..... It's a pretty screwed up pressing...1/16", 1/8", 1/4".. Off center pressings that are visible to the naked eye are a defective product.

Jeeves#9 likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have never come across off centre pressings that are 1/4" out. They are likely normaly under 1/16" at the centre. Only remember one worse which was due to the entire centre hole area being distorted. Problem is unless something like the fault described the whole run is going to be the same - so no gain in returning for exchange.

25. struttincool

At this point, I have no idea what you are typing about. A tonearm that goes back and forth 1/16"-1/4" due to being off center is a defective record. No idea why you mention returning for exchange will do no good. Are you a retailer?

Tommyboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.