Denon 100th Anniversary Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw one of these $2500 amps for $1600 at a boxing week sale at a local dealer. Other than a favorable review from Audioholics, I could not find much about this amp. Does anybody own this amp or know anything about it? I notice it has a phono stage. I was wondering how good it is.

2. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

the anniversary line did not sell well.

3. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

I use the Denon PMA S10II which, on paper at least, looks pretty similar to the A100, as do many of the recent bigger Denon integrateds (PMA 2000, PMA 2010, 2020, etc). There are slight differences in output and not all of them have the switchableMM/MC input of the S10II and A100, and the A100 has less copper on show than my S10II for what that's worth. I have found the phono stage is excellent if the input impedance matches the cartridge used, although not flashy in its delivery it compares favourably to a few external stages I've tried (Michell Iso, Graham Slee Era Gold and Loricraft Missing Link) and quietly (as in very little background noise) gets on with the job. I can't speak for value on the Anniversary range as I bought my S10II s/hand but I have been very happy with the amp, though make sure it is well ventilated if you do get one as mine runs pretty warm, even at idle.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the DCD-A100 SACD player and it is excellent. (Mention only because I imagine the quality is similar in the amplifier).

5. bk12

bk12 Active Member

I unfortunately haven't heard....but it looks very interesting. I am actually going to have to check this thing out-I am a big fan of quality integrateds.

6. everton

everton Forum Resident

I think you mean East Hamilton Radio. I was there about a year ago, and they had the A100 connected to a pair of Paradigm Studio 100. They played one song for me, and I was not that impressed. It could be because of the room (Their listening rooms were not ideal). I mentioned to the sales guy that I didn't like it that much, and the guy readily agreed with me and added that he thought the Cambridge Audio 840A (which they also carried) was a better amp.

Maybe you should give them a visit and see if you like the sound.

Bruce Burgess likes this.
  7. Bruce Burgess

Yes, it was East Hamilton Radio. I was in there on boxing day and it was hooked up to a pair of $7000. Paradigm Signature Speakers, which are in the same price range as my speakers. As you can imagine, it was far too busy in there to do a proper audition. I am curious to hear what it sounds like. I was interested in the CA 840A, but it seemed to get mixed reviews from owners. Some loved it, while others were unimpressed.

8. everton

everton Forum Resident

They should be less busy after the new year (I hope the deal will still be there, considering that this amp doesn't sell very well). Just out of curiosity, can I ask what speakers you'll be using it with?

9. Bruce Burgess

I have Gemme Audio Tanto speakers. I got a good price for them after they were replaced with a much more expensive version. I doubt very much whether I will be getting the Denon amp, in light of the mixed reviews it has received. The fact that it didn't sell very well suggests there are better amps out there for the same amount of money or less. However, I have nothing to lose by auditioning it.

10. everton

everton Forum Resident

I'm not sure if we can really judge it by how well it sold. The amp was initially priced at over $2000. And let's face it...many people don't think of Denon when they want to set up their hifi systems. Take a listen to it. I think it sounds quite neutral, with no exaggerated highs, mids or lows. This can make it sound boring and not attention-grabbing.

Have you also looked at the Onkyo a-9070?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.