Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Rega - RP1 w/Performance Pack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gates69, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie Thread Starter

I want to buy a solid entry level TT and am torn on what to get. I was going to go with the Carbon but now have heard some mixed reviews. The Rega is more but if it means less screwing around with it, then it is worth it.
    What do you guys think??

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

What are the negatives you've heard in the mixed reviews?

3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Project Debut Carbon gets my vote. Then the speed box, and then the platter if you feel the need to upgrade more.

4. gates69

Some tracking/skating issues with it being very sensitive to nearby vibrations. Also motor hum that was not audible through the speakers but was still there. I understand any piece of electronics can be faulty out of the box. Just wondering if the extra $$ is worth it for the Rega.

5. Bob_in_OKC

There have been some issues with the RP1, too, based on what I've seen in forums. I've seen reports of wobble in the platter.

6. gates69

Step up and flip a coin! ;)

malco49 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I think you would probably be very happy with either. Both garnish good reviews.

But of course I would say that the Rega is the way to go since I sell them!! :)

And I have not seen any issues with platter wobble on the RP1's that I've sold.

Ntotrar likes this.
  8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I owned the RP1 and fond it to very good for the money. I have also owned other entry level decks from both Pro-Ject and Msuc Hall and although I found them to be good they were not as good as the RP1. To be fair I did not own the Carbon. But I did find the RP1 to be as good as the Pro-Ject 1Xpression which I did own.

samn and Ntotrar like this.
  9. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

Stella likes this.
  10. Stella

Stella Active Member

11. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

IMHO ...I can say the RP1 sounds fantastic for the money. I sold my tricked out Linn LP12 two years ago to payoff my BMW when I retired, and this thing holds its own.

The wobble problem is an easy fix. It's just the way you place platter on subplatter. Any dealer or Needledoctor can help you if you run into this.

It's the sound that matters to me and the RP1 sounds great, especially for an entry level table.

12. BlackPearl

I would say no, it wouldn't be ideal - I think the 103 is a low compliance cart so better suited to arms with higher mass. :)

Stella likes this.
  13. gates69

So for those saying Rega, would you go with the performance pack or leave it stock? With the Pro-ject a lot of people say you need the speed box and better platter. Well adding those two things puts you at about the same price as the Rega with performance pack. Which upgrades are going to make a bigger difference in sound and performance?

14. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've had a p1 for almost 5 years > I'd go with the RP1 with the white belt, a glass platter, a cork mat, and either a Denon DL110 or A Nagaoka MP110 for a cart > a nod goes to the Nagaoka because you can replace the stylus. I'm very satisfied with my table - I've gotten more from it than I ever imagined. The RP1 is an upgraded version from mine.

15. Bob_in_OKC

Regarding the Pro-Ject platter...If you're referring to the acrylic platter as the necessary upgrade, I'd say don't consider that part of the deal. The Carbon's platter is heavier than that of the Debut III, which appears to add a bit of speed stability. The only reason I think the acrylic platter might be considered is so you can use a MC cartridge. I wanted to put a Dynavector 10x4 cartridge on my wife's Debut III and never did get convinced on the AcrylIt because it is lighter in weight than the stock platter. Instead, I picked up a used aluminum platter from an Xpression, so as not to sacrifice the mass in the platter. I was very happy with the results.

I don't mean to favor the Pro-Ject in this discussion, though. With either one, I'd probably leave it stock, other than the cartridge, and I'd be happy.

16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I would buy the Rega stock, or with a better cartridge for now.

Then start looking for upgrades. Lots of info here and elsewhere. I would go for a different performance package(upgrades), not the one from Rega.

3-4 outfits make sub-platters and platters for RP1, which is where most start.

Here are a few I'm looking into.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRM-TECH-UL...rntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f20aa5d38
    You can buy indivually, also.

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/

Do not forget good isolation, you should have it for any TT you may own.

samn likes this.
  17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Yes, but now you've got serious money in an entry level table. Is that a good choice? I would look for a used P3 or P3-24.

I have not heard of any platter or speed stability issues with the Project Debut Carbon. Upgrading that with a new platter and speedbox makes motr sense to me. It it not my money though.

18. gates69

Well the turntable curse continues! I decided to go with the Rega RP1 w/performance pack upgrade. Sorry to say it's boxed up and heading back to Needle Doctor for a replacement.
    The tone arm weight was so loose that it would slide right off if you lifted the arm to high. The cueing system would not drop the arm down and was stuck in the up position. And I was getting a loud hum if I touched the tone arm.
    I will say Brian was very helpful and said he will also inspect the replacement unit before shipping it to me.
    :shake:

19. BlackPearl

Sorry to hear that but at least you have good service with Needle Doctor.

20. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------------------
    This doesn't say it is for an RP--1.

21. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------------------
    You have way more confidence in this than I do. I hope it works out for you.

22. gates69

Not sure what you mean??

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think Jim might be saying he would have just returned the Rega RP1 and gotten a Pro-Ject Carbon instead. He recommended the Pro-Ject further up in this thread.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  24. gates69

Well I'm going to talk to Brian at Needle Doctor and get his thoughts on what to go with.
    Lots of vinyl sitting here with no way to play it :-(

25. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I picked up a Carbon back in September and love it. I ordered it with the Speed Box, Phono Box V, Acryl-It platter and swapped the 2M Red stylus for a 2M Blue. It sounds fantastic. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all.

As for Rega...they know what they're doing when it comes to turntables. I'm sure your unit was a fluke and the guys at NeedleDoctor are great.

I don't think either one would trounce the other out of the box. I liked some of the upgrades available for the Carbon and the fact that it came in colors...as lame as that might sound.

Good Luck!
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.