Yes - Close To The Edge on wax

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moulty, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moulty

Moulty Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, I've searched the topic to some extent before starting this thread - not entirely satisfactorily.

My original 1841 Broadway LPs of The Yes Album and Fragile are about as beautiful sounding as anything I've ever heard - super full and rich sound.

However, my Broadway Close To The Edge is a real disappointment. Really trebly, thin, weak and brittle. Do I have a lemon, or is this a problematic pressing?

As regards this particular title on vinyl, what preferences do other listeners have?

Thanks, as always.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The only copy I have is the Friday Music release which is 1/2 speed mastered and pressed on 180g vinyl. I'm happy with it.

3. Runt

Runt Senior Member

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Which version do you have? There are several. They range in sound quality from the best to the worst.

5. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

My MFSL vinyl is what I reach for over the Broadway and Friday Music (which has a non-fill issue).
    One of the handful of early MFSL vinyl that is full bodied thru the mids.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yes, the deadwax info would help.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I do recall hearing two 1841 Broadway copies and preferring a Monarch AT/GP over the other one (maybe Richmond?). The Monarch had a fuller less brittle sound.

That's my 2c for rock's greatest achievement ;)

8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I have an original, the MFSL & just recently I got a DJ WLP Monarch cut. The MFSL is better than the original, but the WLP is really nice. Haven't really done a shootout but on initial listen I thought it WLP better than the MFSL. YMMV. I can't remember all of the matrix info but I could post it if you like. I do remember seeing that the WLP is visually different than the original as it appears to be banded to show the individual tracks.

j.barleycorn likes this.
  9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

My Close to the Edge vinyl synopsis:

US Atlantic
    -A at/gp cut is the brightest
    -B at/gp is less bright but still very forward
    -DJ at/gp cut (found on WLP and stock copies) is more midrangey and compressed, less strident

Records made at Presswell and Monarch sound fuller than ones made at Philips Richmond, Indiana.

UK
    A1 B1 has a warm tone, not much extreme highs or lows, very pleasant but not as detailed and open at the US cuts
    Later UK cuts (A2, A3) are similar to the 1st UK, maybe a bit more open but not as full

There is an US RCA record club edition that doesn't sound very good

I've never heard the Friday Music version

The old MFSL is a bit thin and a bit bright but has marvelous detail and silent backgrounds. That is my go to version.

ODShowtime and hvbias like this.
  10. Moulty

Trying to read the deadwax in semi-darkness (just got back from a Fab Faux concert and full of beer) -

ST - A72Z619A

The smaller characters are impossible to read, it seems.

11. Moulty

There is a Friday copy going for a decent price at a local used retailer. I may take a chance on it.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Just got an early German copy I'll have to listen to and compare with, I think, a later US copy at/gp.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Has anybody compared the new European only reissue to older copies yet?

14. TLMusic

As mentioned above, the -A cut is very bright, in my experience.

15. Scott Wheeler

the first Piros cut is very very bright. but if you can EQ it you end up with IMO far and away the best version. But if you don't EQ it then it is too bright. I can do it quite effectively by loading down my cartridge with the variable loading feature on my preamp.

16. Moulty

I really appreciate all of the feedback and insight.

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have a later Piros...a -D cut...less bright but not as commanding as the -A cut...

18. TLMusic

Never seen that one. Does it have Rockefeller labels with the WB logo?

19. Moulty

20. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It is a later Rockefeller with the post 1977 reissue 5 digit number.

21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

What I've discovered is that all 1841's are not created equal. I have two AT/GP's (a very sloppy AT GP in the dead wax} that are 1841 and a MFSL and all sound great!! I also had a Friday Music copy that I sold - just was not happy with that one. I usually go for the GP's - more intense. The MFSL is smoother and more detailed. Is your copy a music club issue? The ones I own have that info on the back cover or on the label. Those usually, in my experience, sound weak and thin. Also I had a 75 Rock, also a GP that sounded very good. A lot of Atlantic LP's will have 1841 on the cover, but the label will have 75 Rock, check that out if you have not already done so. In the end, if you do not like the sound - just keep buying until ya' do, that's what I do. Of course I have a "problem", but it's a fun one!!!

22. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I'm also curious about this one. Anybody have it yet?

23. Scott Wheeler

24. Moulty

It's neither - thanks for the tip, though.

Yeah, I'm totally okay with that method. I mean, the point of all this is to have something that you'll want to play all the time, and if there's a bit of trial and error inolved...no one's gonna die.

There doesn't seem to be any real major consensus, so I'm willing to go "empirical" based on all the help I've gotten here.

25. Moulty

It's certainly one of them, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.