A little love for the Rega P9 turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You are prefectly fine with the P25. It's the perfect Rega, no more, no less.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You said: "... it should at least sit on a suspended base." That is what I referred to as being "something that bounces". The suspended spring design is indeed "SOME attempt at isolation". I don't think it's best suited for most situations however.
    -Bill

3. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

What does everyone sit their P9 on? I'm using a Finite Element Pagode Signature rack with the stock feet. I always wonder about some of the vibration control products replacing the stock feet. No problems with the sound, just curious.

4. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

Although not a P9, I placed my Rega on a SSC flatbase, a decoupling base, which does just that (and very good too, I might add).
    In an ideal world, however, a Rega wall bracket would be employed..

5. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Sam, you should really be enjoying you p9 today! A beautiful 46 degrees here in Houston!

bibijeebies likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Jim, good point. It's 58F right now, so no noise from either A/C or heater.

Unfortunately, my P9 gets practically zero use these days. I have two small kids, the first of which arrived right after I got the 'table. I just never have the time, nor energy for good LP listening sessions any longer :(

If anyone knows what the going rate is for mint condition used P9s, I'd appreciate a PM.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Well any Rega TT for that matter. Yes the wall mount is probably best. I can't in this old house so I have mine set directly on a new 2" thick hardwood cutting board (which looks like it was made for a Rega surprisingly as its near same in dimension) ...then isolate with 4 sorbothane pucks (half spheres) placed underneath the board. I can tap directly on my system rack or table - nothing comes up through the TT. It improved the sound noticeably. My GF was downstairs when I fired it up after isolating it and after a few minutes yells up 'did you do something to the stereo? its sounds better this morning..'

8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

There are less complicated solutions than Linns setup. Rega needs to do something about the foot / armboard interface and the solution could be quite elegant if their users determined it were important enough. As it stands now it appears the Rega consumer is willing to take isolation matters into their own hands without asking for more of the company. So why should they bother? In an industry lacking manufacturing scale it's important to minimize the engineering and product costs.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

And the VPIs sound better than the LP12s.

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

The LP-12s sound different than the VPIs. But then you've only owned one VPI table and you've never owned an LP-12.
    Even the VPIs sound different than the VPIs - the Classic series is dramatically different than the Scout/Scoutmaster.

As for the P9 vs. P25, MAJOR difference. Not even in the same league.

11. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I have it on good authority that they go for around $500.

..... and as it happens.... I'm looking for a second hand P9! :pineapple:

12. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

My Rega P5 rests on an old VPI isolation base someone gave me. nice.

13. TONEPUB

Actually clean P9s are fetching between 2500 and about 3200 these days. Check Audiogon...

14. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Depends on which generation, but never at $500.

Prior gen (which looks like a P25 and comes with a clamshell-style power supply) usually goes for $1500 (though I see far higher asking prices).

15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Depends on the VPI and level to which the LP12 is fitted. But you knew that.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

True, I have heard some really good LP12s but I prefer the VPI sound. A friend just got an LP12 loaded up with all the latest mods and it sounds very good. Kind of a softer sound but very musical.

17. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I'd take a Scout over an old mid 70's LP12, for sure. Need to hear a Traveler. But getting an LP12 even to mid grade pays great rewards (Akito 2, Herc 2, Circus, etc).

The first test for me is if I can hear my scratching on the shelf or knocking through the speakers. Not so with my LP12, but absolutely with my Rega (I currently own a British flag RP1... couldn't resist... it's my "beater" table). No isolation, period. Which is part of the sound, I suppose! Vibrapods are a quick and easy solution, which I'd recco to any rega owner. Just get the right combo (mentioned somewhere in Stereophile). Ultimately less important in the room I'm running it in, with small speakers barely managing enough bass to cause problems.

18. Dougie Gibson

Dougie Gibson New Member

Thats a new one on me, 'British flag'. I knew that they did a St Georges Cross and I've heard that they do a St Andrews on special order, but not heard of a Union Flag - proper name for a 'British Flag'

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've had some good luck with Vibrapods. I like the British flag RP1. Quite a cool look.

20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Often refered to simply (and I'm assuming incorrectly) as the "british flag". Rega does indeed refer to it as the "Union Flag" and it's very real.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP1.htm

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No better table than a "Union Jack" for playing Who records. :)

Goldy and Tommyboy like this.
  22. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Isolation from a well thought out platform is necessary for any Rega to extract the most from LPs.

The true test is to knock or scratch on the platform, not the tutntable or plinth - unless you are considering airborne vibrations as more important.

The P25 is a fine table when properly isolated and equipped with a GT subplatter and Michell counterweight. Add a superb cartridge and phono stage and it will satisfy most vinyl lovers. A stock P9 is significantly better but not worlds different. I own both.

23. TONEPUB

Owning both myself (as well as owning and reviewing every other table Rega has made) I'd still put the P9 way out in front of the P25, however I would draw the line at what cartridge you plan on mating with either table. If you're cartridge budget is in the $500 - $1,000 range the P25 is a fantastic choice, adding a Groovetracer sub platter and bearing is a great upgrade and I've always liked the look of the P25, kind of like a mini P9. However, if your system can accommodate a fairly high end phono stage and cartridge, the P9 leaves the P25 behind. As it should for almost five times the price. The P7, not so much.

24. Dougie Gibson

Dougie Gibson New Member

Well as they say You Live and Learn.

25. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Lol - I told my wife something similar when I came home with it.

Also nice to have a Rega with Bias for some of my harsher records or for simply spinning a quick 45. The Bias has a taming / mellow tendency that comes in handy from time to time (my Presence LP being a recent example). Good for low to mid volume listening (at a certain point the bass bloats as feedback sets in... I don't have it isolated, just sitting on top of an Ikea Expedit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.