New Hendrix cd "People Hell and Angels" coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big pete, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Track Times

1 Earth Blues - 3:33
    2. Somewhere - 4:05
    3. Hear My Train A Comin' - 5:41
    4. Bleeding Heart - 3:58
    5. Let Me Move You - 6:50
    6. Izabella - 3:43
    7. Easy Blues - 5:57
    8. Crash Landing - 4:14
    9. Inside Out - 5:04
    10. Hey Gypsy Boy - 3:39
    11. Mojo Man - 4:07
    12. Villanova Junction Blues - 1:45

You can hear sound samples of each track here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2064IY/ref=dm_sp_alb

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Bleeding Heart, Hey Gypsy Boy, Hear My Train, Somewhere and Crash landing are not unreleased :sigh: :rolleyes: they have been around on 'main stream' releases for years !!

3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Agree. He wasn't even comfortable with the songs Jimi had finished during his lifetime. The interview he gave to Guitar World after Voodoo Soup was really worrying stuff. Everyone who has written on this thread should read it. He omitted several songs from the catalogue, including Izabella, Dolly Dagger and Straight Ahead, beacuse he didn't like them, and yet in another interview later he spoke about making a New Age Jimi Hendrix album, because there is so much "spacey ****" in the vaults.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Not in the form they appear here though. I believe only Somewhere is a "modern frankenstein studio creation". The rest were tampered with by Douglas, but these are the original versions (other than Somewhere).

Studio_Two and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Unfortunately Easy Blues not the complete 10 minutes version.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, that was a disturbing read. I also recall that he based some of his content decisions for Voodoo Soup on whether his teenage daughter found the songs appealing. The day he settled with EH and was bought out was a great day for Jimi Hendrix's legacy.

7. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

i stopped listening to hendrix for 2 years after voodoo soup came out.it was that depressing for me.

8. JengaMaster

JengaMaster New Member

Got to step in here & say 'Voodoo Soup' is my most played Hendrix album (mainly for Pali Gap & quicker to cue up than the vinyl 'Rainbow Bridge' I have)....& has the best cover! For us mid 50's Derek Bailey/Sunn O/Funkadelic fan kinda guys it does the business (although obviously 'Electric Ladyland' is the best...)..& 'spacey ****' also beats 'boring blues jams' most days of the week. The Last Poets stuff A.D. had a hand in were also pretty good....

9. PacificOceanBlue

For new generations of Hendrix fans that started listening to him in the early/mid '90s, that was all they had access to unless they could find used copies of Cry Of Love. It was a very frustrating time to be a Hendrix fan - particularly when one read about all the exciting and interesting songs/jams/unfinished-unrealized songs in the vaults.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Which boring blues jams are you referring to?

Also, as far as I know, there are no Hendrix songs known to exist that represent "spacey ****" - so, clearly Douglas had another one of his major re-recording/overdub/edit concepts in mind to create music in that vein.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, that is disappointing.

12. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

i did not like the new overdubs on voodoo soup.i felt they ruined the songs.also did not like the song selection.why use new rising sun from ttg 68 and not the 1970 track?

13. Maidenpriest

When that is all the new Hendrix available and you had nothing available to buy to compare too, it was the best thing ever !

14. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Agree 100%. Could you imagine if he was still running the estate? As much as I dislike Janie, the last 15 years have been a huge improvement over the previous 15.

The recent Douglas interview on Dead Hendrix is troubling too. Like this quote:
    “I could walk into the library today, and take out the two records that could have followed after Voodoo Soup. They’re so easy to do, I know where they are, and they’ll sell, they’ll reach a new audience. And I’m tempted to tell them, but it’s so difficult to have a communication, I’m not going to bother, I’m not going to put myself in that position, and it’s unfortunate for Jimi. So nothing’s going to happen. Janey should own all the music, there’s nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is that she, and these two guys sitting around with her, have so little idea about what there is, and what to do with it. There’s still a lot of treasure there. A lot.”

How arrogant! He had 20 years to release that 'treasure' and never did it. Thank god he doesn't have access to Jimi's music anymore. Janie, Eddie & John probably wouldn't even let him in the building much less take his calls.

And "Voodoo Soup" was a commercial failure that didn't reach a new audience. That's what was wrong with Douglas whole approach. He was always trying to keep Jimi "current" with the latest musical trends by editing & altering his music to make it sound hip w young audiences. He only included songs on Voodoo Soup that would sound cool to a 90's grunge fans. Janie and co. have put out lots of "treasure" in the last 15 years and it sells quite well. Who cares if Justin Beiber fans don't like Hendrix. Alan Douglas is a piece of work.

15. carville

carville Forum Resident

Indeed.

16. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Seriously? I personally find the VS mixes to be unbearable. Can't listen to them. The EKramer mixes on "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" sound great IMHO.

And there's so many great songs left off of Voodoo Soup (Dolly Dagger, Straight Ahead, Izabella, etc...). While stuff like "Peace In Mississippi" is included. The two tracks I will listen to is "Room Full Of Mirrors" and "Angel." Just because they sound vastly different than the versions we have now. The echo effect on RFOM is cool and Mitch's drumming on the alt take of "Angel" is a big improvement.

Purple Jim likes this.
  17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

"Blues" also came out during that time period. Lots of excellent blues tunes/jams on that CD. EH even re-released that one.

18. Maidenpriest

It was until 2003, but then EH started to believe that they are 'The Artist' and are getting really desperate and doing all the rubbish they are doing now :( Why are they scared to show Jimi 'Warts & All' :(

19. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

that would be a great title for the next release. jimi hendrix "warts and all". maybe that should be a boxset.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  20. Maidenpriest

haha yes that would be great, perhaps 'Warts, Drugs and All' because EH seem to portrait Hendrix as a clean cut Guy that never did any hard living despite it killing him !! I am sick to death of EH using Jimi's proposed album titles, because people will think this current release is his original proposed idea for 'People, Hell & Angels', even the 'so called gray market' releases never did that, it is just too dishonest :(

Purple Jim likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

I disagree. Dagger's "Hear My Music" and "Burning Desire" were released after 2003 and they are two of the best posthumous Hendrix releases ever issued. Additionally, "West Coast Seattle Boy" is loaded with riches. Also, even with its flaws, I enjoy the "Winterland" box set in that I have access to a lot of quality Winterland performances in the best ever presented sound (edits and all). I don't see desperation on EH's part, nor do I think they are producing loads of rubbish. I have never been a big fan of EH's release strategy, but they have provided fans with some great material over the years - even if I don't always like the way releases are configured and conceived.

turnersmemo and Chris M like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

Blues was a great concept, and also somewhat of a let-down. That said, it was probably Douglas' best work he ever produced. What baffled me was that EH kept it in print. Blues should have been expanded with additional material. The reissue was a lost opportunity.

23. Maidenpriest

Just heard the Amazon samples and the lead guitar I am hearing in a lot of songs sounds out of tune and terrible :( Villanova Junction Blues 1:45 what a fing joke when my version lasts 27 mins, i guess this pitiful "1:45" is EH's on sample for us I wonder if the next version will even make 5mins :(

Purple Jim likes this.
  24. Maidenpriest

Not available to me in the UK, we here overseas are shafted by EH unless I want to pay extortionate postal costs :(

25. Maidenpriest

'Blues' (released 1994) was great and was limited by the format ie Record/Tape of that time, i agree that EH should have at the very least given some great bonus tracks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.