AC/DC - Powerage - another question about the different mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Well, just want to know more details about the different "Powerage" versions.
    All CD versions include a remix, right ??? The 1978 german 10-song Atlantic pressing includes a different mix (original first mix, not indented for release...???), right ???
    But what about the australian original LP and the CD versions, released on Albert Records in 1989 ??? And which version can we hear on the 2003 remasters ???
    Just want to ask if there are only 2 mixes available (the CD version which could also be the version which was released on all Australia vinyl and CD releases + the EU LP version from 1978) or if there maybe a third mix exists (original LP version on Albert Records) ???
    I am always a bit confused about the album and its different versions...

The Doga and punkmusick like this.
  2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Early AC/DC albums on CD a disaster, why they have not been released with their proper track listings is unbelievable.
    There is an oppertunity to give us deluxe editions with separate Aussie and US track listings.
    poorly treated back catalog.

3. sathvyre

ehm...this is definitely not the answer I expected....??????

Anthrax and privit1 like this.
  4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I think the early different version with Cold Hearted Man was released in the UK because the band wanted it out before rhey toured the country. That mix was only in stores for a short period of time!

The Doga likes this.
  5. tages

tages Senior Member

I'm fairly certain the original Australian LP matches the US and that every CD version has featured that mix. I know the German LP has an edited "Rock And Roll Damnation" as the opener then features the 9-track UK LP.

6. sathvyre

This makes sense - thank you very much for information !!!
    So there are only two different mixes available:

- First mix (Atlantic LP ATL 50 483) 10 Song version
    - Second mix (all other versions on LP and CD)

Right ???

7. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I got an import triple box lp set with the original mix.

8. sathvyre

I have the Atlantic 10 song LP, made in Germany. No need to buy it again.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Can anyone clarify which mix came first?
    Also why was the UK mix issued?

andy75 likes this.
  10. sathvyre

I think they used a wrong tape ??? This would be my own theory about the UK mix...but maybe some fans know it better...???
    I also recognized some azimuth errors on "Rock'n'Roll Damnation" on my 10 song Atlantic LP - these errors are not prominent on all other 9 ttracks, so maybe it was added from a tape source ??? Very strange...

The Doga likes this.
  11. nodeerforamonth

"Coffret 3 Disques" Atlantic 60149

Has "High Voltage" and "Dirty Deeds" with it too. And a 7".

The mix is different. Different arrangements of songs too (extra part in "What's Next To the Moon", "Down Payment Blues" ends differently). Totally worth having.

The Doga likes this.
  12. sathvyre

So your version is the so-called common version which is also available on all regular international CD and vinyl releases ???

13. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

1. ?
    2. They wanted it out before they went on tour in the UK!

14. nodeerforamonth

My version? The vinyl version in my set is completely different than my us vinyl and cd versions.

The Beave likes this.
  15. sathvyre

So it should be the same version as the german Atlantic pressing incl. "Cold Hearted Man" ??? I am confused now...

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Sorry that doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Others have said that they wanted "Cold Hearted Man" out in the UK before the tour. This doesn't answer why there was a different mix of Powerage on this release or whether it came first or was an afterthought.

The Beave likes this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

My version has Cold Hearted Man on it.

18. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I have three versions of this LP on vinyl. The original UK first pressing, which has Cold Hearted Man, does not have Rock 'N' Roll Damnation and is a different mix. My understanding this is essentially a rough mix of the album that the band released to rush the album out in the UK. Subsequently, the LP was released in the US, Australia and the rest of the world with what is now the standard mix and track listing (adding RRD and dropping Cold Hearted Man). There was a German lp that was released that included both Rock 'N' Roll Damnation and Cold Hearted Man. My recollection is that uses the standard final mix for all songs but Cold Hearted Man.

19. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Not sure what I have but I bought the vinyl when it came out. I'm not home at the moment to check. It has Rock n Roll Damnation, not Cold Hearted Man.

20. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

It was rushed out before all other versions because AC/DC toured the UK. The UK version is not a finalized version.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ah OK!
    Thank you! I didn't know that! I have both versions and honestly think the final mix is the best, although I do like the almost Stooges-like relentlessness of the UK mix.

22. sathvyre

the final mixes are definitely the better choice !!!
    the "rough mixes" sound very different and you can hear that they were not really mastered...each track has a total different sound and volume level and some tracks have a fade out on the rough mix versions, compared to the finalized international versions which sounds much better !!!
    the different mix on lp sounds like an advance tape, used for promotion only and were pressed on LP...???
    well, but it is the only way to have "cold hearted man" on vinyl for a cool price here in europe....

The Doga likes this.
  23. nodeerforamonth

Now I have to have the uk version!

The version I was talking about does have Damnation on it too, but also different arrangements og some songs.

24. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

Wow, Powerage is my favorite AC/DC album, and I'd never even heard of another version. WBCN played the heck out of RRD when that album came out. It was the first album of theirs I bought (on vinyl). I recall 'BCN airing a live broadcast of the band playing on that tour at The Paradise.

I've got the 2003 remaster, and it doesn't sound as bad as the original CD pressing of it I bought when it first became available. I'm sure there's always room for improvement.

25. sathvyre

So we don't have a definitive answer here....
    My german pressing has 10 tracks, but "Rock'n'Roll Damnation" was clearly sourced from a different source, cause it has some azimuth errors and sounds very different to the rest of the tracks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.