Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me Nautilus Superdisc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oneslip17, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was in a record shop last week and they have a very clean copy of the Captain and Me nautilus disc for a very reasonable price. I have a WB 1st pressing that has seen better days and the Friday Music 180 gram reissue that I found to be disappointing. What do you all think of this pressing? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

An album I have explored many pressings of. The Nautilus is tipped up on the hi-end - its my least favorite of any. I'm surprised you don't like the Friday Music re-issue. While there are original Warner pressings that beat it, it is pretty darn nice sounding. Balanced and clean. I'd recommend it. The original 1A and 1B cuttings are fine but were bettered by the 1C cutting (cleaner, noticeable in the vocals & harmonies), and one other cutting that ends with -3/-3 and has a very wide dead wax. (same). These 2 later cuttings are burbank label pressings ca. 1974-76.

3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! The thing I didn't like about the Friday music reissue is that it just sounded dull and lifeless. Maybe I'll give it another spin later tonight.

The Beave likes this.
  4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have a 1A/1A WLP on Warner Brothers that sounds much, much better than the Nautilus LP. As Raunchroll mentioned, the Nautilus Superdisc LP is very bright. I also have an original UK green Warner Brothers 1A/1B LP that sounds better than the Nautilus Superdisc LP, but not as nice as the WLP. In fact, this past weekend, I had my copy of the Nautilus Superdisc for sale ($15) at the local record show, and nobody even picked it up to check it out!!

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I own the Nautilus and have never liked it. Agreed my American pressing is much more danceable.

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

To me, all the Doobies WB albums were recorded well. I saw no need to go any further. I have them all on vinyl.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

And all of your breasts are supported well. I am interested in going further.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Well I'll offer a dissenting opinion on the super disc. I like it though I no longer have my original WB copy to compare it to which is why I bought the super disc in the first place. It doesn't seem that bright to me and my system tends to run a little bright so I'm surprised to hear this from others. I'll have to listen again and see what I think. Again, I've nothing to compare it to outside of memory which isn't to be trusted at this point in time. It's been way too long since I heard the original and I don't have any Doobies on cd.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

hhmm...don't know what to say. Since I love this album so much I've bought a lot of copies of it: UK & German (obviously made from copy tapes, just OK), Nautilus (too bright, although back in the day with the systems we had it was great), US white label promo (which uses the same 1A and 1B matrices the first year or two runs used) as well as later ca. 1974-80 cuttings, and finally, the Friday Music re-issue. My girlfriend has a good ear and sometimes listens with me and gives me her thoughts. It dawned on us that the 1A and 1B (which are the best sounding original US copies) have a slight graininess heard in the vocals of several tracks. Its subtle but noticeable. Switching to the -1c matrix we were surprised how much cleaner, distinct, and more life like the vocals were without giving up anything in the mid range, low end, or the smoothness of the hi end. Problem is, finding a double sided -1c/-1c is pretty difficult. Most are paired with a 1A or 1B side. Throwing on the mid-1970's -3/-3 cutting with the wide dead wax I was expecting to find reduced low end. But it turned out that was not the case.....a hair less than the 1 A, B, and C, but barely. I rank that as the 2nd best copy just hair behind the 1c. A double sided Captain & Me that is clear and detailed yet warm, balanced and present. The closest any other Capt. & Me pressing came to the -1c and -3 cuttings was the Friday Music copy. Its not quite as good as either but in some ways I think it has some merits over the 1A and 1B originals in that it is cut 'cleaner.' I suspect the 1A and 1B's have some compression added to them which gives them a little more rock & roll mojo over the Friday. I keep very few audiophile market reissue LPs other than several key Lps done by Steve and Kevin Gray - the Friday Music Capt. & Me is one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.