What happened to the samples at Amazon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bdiament, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper Thread Starter

I don't know if there are any other threads on this subject but has anyone else noticed Amazon doesn't have samples of album tracks anymore?

I wonder why. It certainly makes it difficult to decide if I want an album or not as I like to hear samples before purchasing.

If another CD seller has samples, I'd take my business there.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I'm seeing samples.

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I've seen a few albums that don't offer previews, most of the ones I checked still do.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

See if there is a MP3 option, that is were they appear to have moved them, the times, they are a changin'

6. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too. I've really come to rely on them, and I hate to commit to a purchase w/o hearing the samples. Thanks for posting this. Now I know that at least I'm not the only one wondering what's going on. I'll check the mp3 availability from now on and see if it's related to that.

7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It used to be that whichever media/version of an album you chose, the samples were there. Now, as others have noted, it seems you have to go to the mp3 version to get samples most of the time.

The iTunes store has 90-second samples of everything available there. Not good for buying since they're lossy - but great for sampling!

8. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Agreed about the mp3 versions for samples. I've noticed this for a while now. It is pretty annoying.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

maybe Amazon has to pay per hit? possibly trying to save some dollars? since the new tax at Amazon things have been changing ever so slightly...I see more changes ahead...

10. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Amazon has largely moved their sound samples to their mp3 section. It seems like they are working on phasing out physical product altogether to further promote their digital services on offer. It's annoying they and Apple can do that to paying customers, but as Tonio K says "this is America son, you just let the buyer beware / you can sell them anything you want to / who cares". (from the son "Student Interview with the 3rd Richest Man in the World", album: "Yugoslavia").

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, I think there was a condition years ago where the major record labels reluctantly allowed the download merchants to provide up to :30 seconds of a sample of the recording for free -- though the download company had to pay for the bandwidth (not the record label). They looked on it as a promotion, no different than watching a music video for free on YouTube or the record label's site.

Amazon controls a massive amount of internet bandwidth, between their movie downloads and the music downloads, and they're clearly the biggest competitor for iTunes. Their recent move to more cloud-based storage, plus changing the interface for buying downloaded music, makes it clear that Amazon is pushing hard to get a bigger market share. I do wish they'd consider selling lossless Red Book tracks as downloads.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, sounds reasonable to me, but things change and unless you have access to Amazons books I'd say you have the best answer so far...I'm not interested in any DL no matter what the source...as long as they keep releasing music on pressed media (not CDR/DVDR) I'll buy it...when they stop, at the stage I'm at...I have enough already...

13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I find them useful as a store user as you can check the mastering of multiple editions but it can be useful for those of you that prefer the cd too:thumbsup:
    I just fail to see what the issue at Amazon is as if you hear something, maybe a new album and you like it you're more likely to buy it on the spur of the moment.

14. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

I picked an album at random ... Rush 2112 (the new deluxe reissue). No samples on amazon.com or .co.uk but they are there on amazon.de.

Maybe variations based on geography?

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

When amazon doesn't have samples, I check www.jpc.de

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've noticed missing samples, too, but if the album is a newish release no doubt it's also available to purchase as mp3s. I don't think it's so difficult to click the mp3 link in the cd listing and then listen to the samples on the mp3 page. I know, I know: It's one more mouse click. At least the samples are still there. Remember the 1980s and before? If you didn't hear the tracks on the radio or at someone else's place, you were buying albums without hearing any samples at all.

17. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

It's been like this for approximately a year. I now depend on Allmusic.com

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yep, noticed that too some time ago. Just search for MP3

19. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Exactly right. If Amazon sells the mp3, you can listen to a sample; if they don't, you can't. In particular, this affects compilation CDs whose tracks tend not to be available for mp3 purchase. I agree that the new policy sucks. I also think that while possibly increasing sales of their mp3's, this will cause lost revenue on CD sales.

20. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

ditto on Allmusic / pretty great sight....shorter clips but still very helpful

21. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I just YouTube any music I want to sample. Never used Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.